Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One thing hanging out there that will sour my hopes
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
We've heard that Mathis is on the trading block and the latest news has us possibly releasing him outright.

If that happens I will be pissed and it would discredit Chip in my view.

The guy is a top 2 OG and was the best OL last year fighting back from an injury.

You need him on that OL.

We already got rid of Herremans at the other OG spot, even though Herremans was average or slightly better. He too was injured and if you take out that one game with the injury, he did pretty well. Herremans was a hell of a lot better than those under performing over hyped backups we had.

There is NO excuse to let Mathis go for nothing. None.

And if you trade him, you need to get a return that is more than fair for the 2nd best OG in football on a team that plans on running the ball.

If you have to pay him a mill bonus to keep him happy, do it!

koolaidluke
I loved Herremens but the guy could not have been any more done. As for Mathis, I don't really get the point of releasing him but a raise is out of the question. He's a 34 year old guard and therefor has no leverage.

Releasing him would be idiotic, especially since the Eagles don't really have anybody behind him..
samaroo
I've read several reports that said the Eagles gave his agent (fucking Rosenhaus) permission to sniff around, but there hasn't been a market. I don't think he's going anywhere. It sounds to me like a final push to get paid at the twilight of a career, but it looks like the best he'll do is here.

Also, I agree with you, Mikey. If Mathis goes, a large portion of my hope for this season will go with him. I think Chip can make do at receiver, and we can plug-and-play good enough at S, and we're maybe better at CB, but if you remove both our OGs, we're sunk. I don't have any fond memories of any of our backups last year.
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 26 2015, 10:25 PM) *
I've read several reports that said the Eagles gave his agent (fucking Rosenhaus) permission to sniff around, but there hasn't been a market. I don't think he's going anywhere. It sounds to me like a final push to get paid at the twilight of a career, but it looks like the best he'll do is here.

Also, I agree with you, Mikey. If Mathis goes, a large portion of my hope for this season will go with him. I think Chip can make do at receiver, and we can plug-and-play good enough at S, and we're maybe better at CB, but if you remove both our OGs, we're sunk. I don't have any fond memories of any of our backups last year.

It depends what they set the market at.

If they demanded a 1st, probably not.

If they demanded a 2nd, maybe not.

But if they asked for a 3rd or less, I'm sure we'd have takers. Didn't we get him for a 4th pre Pro Bowls?

And if they cut him, you know he will make more money on the open market than he did here. Just like Shady, Jackson and Maclin (11 mill vs our 9.5M offer).

samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 27 2015, 12:55 PM) *
It depends what they set the market at.

If they demanded a 1st, probably not.

If they demanded a 2nd, maybe not.

But if they asked for a 3rd or less, I'm sure we'd have takers. Didn't we get him for a 4th pre Pro Bowls?

And if they cut him, you know he will make more money on the open market than he did here. Just like Shady, Jackson and Maclin (11 mill vs our 9.5M offer).

I'm not sure he necessarily will make more somewhere else. He's 34. If we were actively shopping him around, I'd be more worried. I don't think any team will offer anything even close to what he's worth to us. Releasing him will anger me greatly.

Nobody's gonna give us a 1st or 2nd for him, and I really doubt a 3rd or 4th either. And his situation is different from Shady, DJax and Maclin's situations. We need Mathis, and he's really not that expensive, and we're not gonna get anything for him. And he's with the program. I think he stays. And I hope I'm right.
samaroo
Okay, I just looked up his contract, and there's no way he gets anything better elsewhere. He's getting paid handsomely through 2016. It's in the Eagles interest to keep him as is to groom his replacement. They've got 2 years to find somebody and get them ready. No way another team pays him $5M+ right now. That just seems crazy to me.

And if he wants stability and is afraid of being released by us, he could shop around then. I don't really get what he's wanting to get out of this, unless he's just trying to gauge interest. I don't see how he doesn't stay here.
mcnabbulous
Guards are worthless. I love Mathis, but that is reality.
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 27 2015, 02:53 AM) *

Not if you want a good inside running game. But you guys might be able to pick up a good one in the second round in this draft.

btw...do you guys have a fullback? Murray ran behind a fullback for much of his career.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 27 2015, 08:45 AM) *
Not if you want a good inside running game. But you guys might be able to pick up a good one in the second round in this draft.

btw...do you guys have a fullback? Murray ran behind a fullback for much of his career.

No FB, Chip released Casey who was a combo FB/TE. Didn't Murray run out of the spread, shotgun no FB in OK?
Dreagon
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 27 2015, 07:53 AM) *
No FB, Chip released Casey who was a combo FB/TE. Didn't Murray run out of the spread, shotgun no FB in OK?

I'm not sure. But his first three years with us he often ran behind a fullback. Not as much last year though, and he still did good so I guess it doesn't matter.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 27 2015, 07:53 AM) *

If Mathis is thrown overboard then you'll be able to put that theory to the test.

I don't think Bradford (and then Sanchez and then Barkley) will like the outcome, nor will Murray and Mathews.
D Rock
Nobody is going to offer up a meaningful asset for a 34 year old O Guard. Aint gonna happen. I don't understand why he's been bitching about his contract for 2 years now. If I remember correctly, isn't he getting 6 mil this year? WTF could his problem be with that as a 34 year old guard?

JeeQ
Best time to try out a new O-Line is when you're switching to a run heavy offense with two injury plagued RBs and a brand new QB learning the offense for the first time while coming off a torn ACL throwing to Riley Cooper
nephillymike
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 28 2015, 11:18 PM) *
Best time to try out a new O-Line is when you're switching to a run heavy offense with two injury plagued RBs and a brand new QB learning the offense for the first time while coming off a torn ACL throwing to Riley Cooper

Bwah!!

I love the sarcasm.

True.
D Rock
Sarcasm, sure. But insight, knowledge, or anything actually meaningful? Not so much.
Reality Fan
Seriously....so if mathis blows out his knee in training camp we pack it in? Really? he is a frickin guard for godsakes....he is good but guards are not hard to replace.....I think he is overpaid as it is...tackles are tougher to replace, especially the blindside tackle but guards?...not so much
samaroo
I don't think you need a superstar at every position on the line, but it's nice to have a really good player there. You basically can count on Mathis to handle his business on every play, so you can look to double or whatever somewhere else if you need to. We're gonna have Tobin or Barbre at LG, neither of whom played well last year. If OG is such a throwaway position, why did we suck so bad when they were playing?

I think we need Mathis this year. Sometimes you have to overpay for a position that you need, like with Maxwell. He's already here, keep him. Draft someone to replace him, sure, but keep him for now.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 29 2015, 06:36 PM) *
Seriously....so if mathis blows out his knee in training camp we pack it in? Really? he is a frickin guard for godsakes....he is good but guards are not hard to replace.....I think he is overpaid as it is...tackles are tougher to replace, especially the blindside tackle but guards?...not so much

Who the hell is the new guy??

I thought you jumped off the I-78 bridge after the season.

Good to see you.

I didn't hear of you going solo on a torch run to the castle down on South Broad so I assume you are OK and/or you are planning a run with yours truly? (BTW, we go to the King's two homes quite often if a redirect of the castle storm is needed!)

We are Philadelphia.

We are born and bred to take sports disappointment.

It's in our DNA.

We take a gut wrenching collapse at the end of a football season with a bad loss to the Cowboys and we say "Thank You Sir May I Have Another!"

We back a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament in desperate hopes to have a winner to latch onto and that team loses in the 2nd round, only to have all three other #1 seeds get to the Final Four. And what do we say? Is that all you got Sports Gods? That ain't nothing compared to 1964! Doesn't even tremor vs. Jaworski's collapse in 1980, nor Vermeil's use of a punter to tank XP and FG's in the 1978 WC game at Atlanta!!

This just a courtesy call before golf season kicks in?
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 29 2015, 07:35 PM) *
I don't think you need a superstar at every position on the line, but it's nice to have a really good player there. You basically can count on Mathis to handle his business on every play, so you can look to double or whatever somewhere else if you need to. We're gonna have Tobin or Barbre at LG, neither of whom played well last year. If OG is such a throwaway position, why did we suck so bad when they were playing?

I think we need Mathis this year. Sometimes you have to overpay for a position that you need, like with Maxwell. He's already here, keep him. Draft someone to replace him, sure, but keep him for now.

Mathis is well paid so he really shouldn't complain. I guess he wants to cash in with nice bonuses like the other jettisoned Vets have.

He played well last year. The guy who withered near the end was Peters. Mathis was strong.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2015, 11:11 AM) *
Mathis is well paid so he really shouldn't complain. I guess he wants to cash in with nice bonuses like the other jettisoned Vets have.

He played well last year. The guy who withered near the end was Peters. Mathis was strong.

I agree with all this. We need Mathis this year, and probably next, if healthy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.