Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kelly just hired you as GM
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
This is a snapshot of where the team is today. No additional FA signings or trades are involved. It's draft day ... what do you do?
Eagle2720
If there are still a number of players they're high on the I say maybe trade back at most 5 spots and take the best player there, this way they can get another pick or two in later rounds. Now that Chip supposedly has full control of who he drafts, I have this weird feeling that he could be one of those guys to find great value in the late rounds, maybe not Seattle talent but I think quality players, so a few extra picks couldn't hurt.
mcnabbulous
I'm basically of the opinion that if Chip really wants Mariota, he should get Mariota. If he doesn't, than he shouldn't.
Eyrie
I'm undecided whether our biggest hole is WR or S, but eventually opted to take the WR on the basis that our franchise is based on the offense performing and the defence managing.
samaroo
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 19 2015, 02:34 AM) *
I'm basically of the opinion that if Chip really wants Mariota, he should get Mariota. If he doesn't, than he shouldn't.

Yep. I want to see Chip install his vision in Philly, and see what that gets us. If I were in charge, I would do whatever he wanted me too. Not because I'm a fanboy, or (gasp!) an apologist, but because I want to see this team driven by a singular, focused vision. If he wants MM, he gets him. If he wants someone else, he gets that.
nephillymike
I voted for other.

On one hand, I agree with Nabby and let Chip get his man.

Although Mariota would be good for our system, he's not a top notch QB prospect in my opinion.

So, I would say we can go further than a minor move, but not whatever it takes. Mariota is not a "whatever it takes" talent.

I'm intrigued because even if Chip really is going with Bradford, he's not the full package for this system. He doesn't have the wheels. When you run the read option, even if your intent is to hand it off 90% of the time, the running ability of the QB matters all the time as on every play, that is a factor in the DE's decision. Given the success of our running game the last two years, I think we would be amazed at how much that would bring to our offense. But on the other hand, Shurmer has a lot of WCO concepts in the passing game and I don't think Mariota is an "A" talent thrower.

So what type of a move am I OK with? I would go to 6th. And can be convinced to go to 4th. I think anything higher would be prohibitive.

As far as what to do if he's gone by then? Give me a WR because we have a gaping hole there. In a pinch, we may be able to play Carroll or Thurmond at starting S and would have time to plan for that. Carroll played LB a lot last year. WR however, we have Riley Cooper atop our depth chart. Any questions?

Not an option in your question, but I would trade a 3rd or 4th round pick before the draft for a proven WR and then pick the BPA at PON at #20 if Mariota is gone.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 19 2015, 11:51 AM) *
Not an option in your question, but I would trade a 3rd or 4th round pick before the draft for a proven WR and then pick the BPA at PON at #20 if Mariota is gone.

Doesn't sound like a bad plan.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 18 2015, 09:51 PM) *
I voted for other.

On one hand, I agree with Nabby and let Chip get his man.

Although Mariota would be good for our system, he's not a top notch QB prospect in my opinion.

I disagree and believe Mariota will be a great pro. With that said, if Chip isn't willing to make a big move for him, it would scare me off if I'm another team. I think Chip understands the value of great QB play and will move up if he thinks MM fits that mold.

If Chip doesn't move up, it tells me he has doubts about MM's abilities as a pro prospect.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
JeeQ
You know the motto...

#MariotaOrBust
samaroo
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 20 2015, 04:47 AM) *
I disagree and believe Mariota will be a great pro. With that said, if Chip isn't willing to make a big move for him, it would scare me off if I'm another team. I think Chip understands the value of great QB play and will move up if he thinks MM fits that mold.

If Chip doesn't move up, it tells me he has doubts about MM's abilities as a pro prospect.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I wonder if that could be used as a tactic to help MM slide.
JeeQ
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 19 2015, 05:22 PM) *
I wonder if that could be used as a tactic to help MM slide.

MM's doing a great job on his own of sliding down the draft board

I've watched him go from surefire #1, to Top 5, to Top 10, to Top 25, to not even 1st round material... even Cleveland is shying away from him... Cleveland!!!

Keep up the good work MM and we won't even have to move up to get you
samaroo
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 20 2015, 10:15 AM) *
MM's doing a great job on his own of sliding down the draft board

I've watched him go from surefire #1, to Top 5, to Top 10, to Top 25, to not even 1st round material... even Cleveland is shying away from him... Cleveland!!!

Keep up the good work MM and we won't even have to move up to get you

Wouldn't that be great! If we could just grab him at 20...oh, the options we'd have then!
JeeQ
Have to say I'm surprised so many chose "take the best WR" when Chip has proved he doesn't give a flying duck fuck about WRs... Chip cares about WRs like Andy cares about LBs

He had two Pro-Bowl 1000+ YRD WRs on this team when he arrived and let both of them walk; and thinks Riley Cooper is a solid #2 which is only correct if you're referring to taking a shit
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 19 2015, 10:47 PM) *
Have to say I'm surprised so many chose "take the best WR" when Chip has proved he doesn't give a flying duck fuck about WRs... Chip cares about WRs like Andy cares about LBs

He had two Pro-Bowl 1000+ YRD WRs on this team when he arrived and let both of them walk; and thinks Riley Cooper is a solid #2 which is only correct if you're referring to taking a shit

He offered Maclin like $10MM to stay. If Maclin wanted to be here, he'd still be here. Chip tried to sign him to a long-term deal before last season and he declined.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 20 2015, 06:58 AM) *
He offered Maclin like $10MM to stay. If Maclin wanted to be here, he'd still be here. Chip tried to sign him to a long-term deal before last season and he declined.

12M Signing Bonus, 11M Annually... If you truly value the WR position a premium of 1-2M is nothing when you had nearly 50M of cap room at the time
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 20 2015, 12:32 PM) *
12M Signing Bonus, 11M Annually... If you truly value the WR position a premium of 1-2M is nothing when you had nearly 50M of cap room at the time

If it would prohibit them from doing something else that they want to do, then overpaying $1-2MM for a WR is bad business.

Offering Maclin $9-10MM was more than reasonable. Maclin chose not to be here. Not Chip.

Saying he doesn't value WR's after that offer and spending two relatively premium draft picks last year is laughable.
JeeQ
Drafting Josh Huff and extending Riley Cooper aren't exactly signs of a man who appreciates great WR play laugh.gif

Remembering he was actually a 3rd RD pick just gave me my laugh of the day
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.