Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For the Pessimists
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
The most troubling part about all of this is that it feels like one dayís moves have no relation to the next. On Wednesday, Kelly was describing the LeSean McCoy trade as a move designed to clear out the space needed for Maxwell, and the next day, he signed a running back who will make as much or more money as McCoy would have in 2015. Then, after signing two running backs who usually stick between the tackles and trading for an injury-riddled quarterback, the Eagles reportedly start shopping Pro Bowl guard Evan Mathis around the league?

Given their other plans, you have to wonder when the Eagles really decided to make an offer this large to Murray. If they really wanted Murray this badly, why didnít they go after him at the beginning of free agency? Were they planning on teaming up Murray and Frank Gore as opposed to Murray and Mathews? Or was it going to be Gore and Mathews, and after Gore had second thoughts, did the Eagles get desperate and go after Murray?

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/03/...oJD0hLOya2b2.99

Anyone subscribe to this opinion??
BirdsWinBaby
i think its fair to say that things didnt go as planned and Chip had to adapt. i give them credit for moving fast in the very fluid world that is the opening of free agency

im not entirely pleased with the results but we say that every year so i will wait and see how it plays out

i will say tho that its clear that Chip paid more to Murray than anyone else and its why the deal developed so quickly. when Dallas insulted him by daring to pay him what he was worth, he shopped around but found no takers....i assume because everyone else knew his worth as well and was not willing to exceed it. (Dallas' offer was public weeks ago) i believe that if he had an offer for $8m he would have signed it while the Gore thing was happening with the Birds

there could be any of a number of reasons why Chip gave this guy $8m. did he scramble when Gore changed his mind? did he feel that Murray was the best thing left and wanted to lock him up fast with an offer he wouldnt refuse? i really hope its not because Bradford talked Murray up ('dude you have been here for 7mins and you have what?...suggestions?') or maybe Chip is the only one who actually knew Murray's worth? we will see
Eyrie
My view is that Kelly had to explain the McCoy trade last Tuesday, and saying it freed up the cap room for Maxwell looked reasonable at the time.

However I'd say that there were two reasons for trading McCoy. The first is his suitability for Kelly's offense. I remember the Foles vs Vick debates and emphasising at the time that Vick's negative plays outweighed his positives, which would make the less mobile but more accurate Foles a better fit. On that basis the negative plays when McCoy danced behind the line of scrimmage trying to find room only to lose yardage when he would have been better to plunge into the mass of bodies and accept no gain, would count against him and a N-S runner would be Kelly's preference. Obviously Kelly can't say that publicly because he wouldn't want to criticise a player, but it does make sense in light of the pursuit of Gore, Mathews and Murray.

The cap room explanation does make sense, but it wasn't about clearing room for Maxwell because we already had plenty of room. I think that there was still hope that Maclin would stay when the McCoy trade was agreed the previous week, but also that the Bradford move was being planned as well and that was why the cap room was required. However because the Bradford trade only came out after the McCoy deal was announced, it couldn't be cited as an explanation.

I'm also of the opinion that Gore/Mathews was the preferred option to Murray/Mathews but give Kelly credit for having a Plan B.
Zero
Sure seems like the foundation of Kelly's philosophy is fast and accurate. He wants his players to make good decisions quickly and then act on the decision.

Both Vick and Foles (at least circa 2014) would take too much time deciding where to go with the ball. Shady would take time looking for the 5 - 50 yd run instead of taking the 2 - 3 yd gain. I don't find fault with Shady because he's so good at what he does but it's not what greases Chip's machine, just like Vick and Nick didn't stick 'cause they weren't quick (that even hurt me unsure.gif ).

That's where the changes come from. Bradford is supposed to make fast reads and has a quick release. Coming out of OK:
Good size with room to add some bulk
Peyton Manning-like accuracy
Outstanding job of anticipating routes
Solid arm strength
Capable of making all the throws
Smooth, consistent spiral
Textbook footwork and can drop back if asked
Great decision-maker since freshman year
Understands timing
Well versed in progression reads
Experienced
Very quick release
Ridiculous level of production
Sells play action
Places ball in stride of receiver
Will step up in pocket
Decent athleticism
Throws pro routes and has been under center more than given credit for in career
Strong leader and good character
Both Mathews and Murray are one cut RBs not known for trying to break it outside for the big play. The moves make sense. Let's hope they work.
nephillymike
In an interesting revelation by that puzzle called Chip, when asked if he looked at any of his college tape he said no, but I watched every throw he made in the NFL!!

Now circle back to last year when asked what in Sanchez' pro game did Chip like that seemed to be a good fit for the Eagles.
Chip said he did not watch any of Sanchez' pro film??

Again, he's either full of shit or incompetent.

Hoping for full of shit again.............
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 15 2015, 10:11 AM) *
In an interesting revelation by that puzzle called Chip, when asked if he looked at any of his college tape he said no, but I watched every throw he made in the NFL!!

Now circle back to last year when asked what in Sanchez' pro game did Chip like that seemed to be a good fit for the Eagles.
Chip said he did not watch any of Sanchez' pro film??

Again, he's either full of shit or incompetent.

Hoping for full of shit again.............

which QB's are being referenced? Sanchez and Bradford?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 15 2015, 10:37 AM) *
which QB's are being referenced? Sanchez and Bradford?

Yes, all the pro tape for Bradford, college only for Sanchez.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.