Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marcus Mariota Still Thinks He's Going To The Eagles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
Mariota Not Ready To Rule Out The Eagles

Eagles coach Chip Kelly may have ruled out trading up to get quarterback Marcus Mariota, but Mariota hasn’t.

Via Zach Berman of Philly.com, Mariota on Friday declined to write off the possibility that the man who brought him to Oregon will also bring him to Pennsylvania.

“I wouldn’t doubt it, but Coach Kelly and the Eagles are going to do what’s best for the team,” Mariota said, via Berman. “We’ll see what happens.”

What happened this week was a fairly big trade, with the Eagles acquiring Sam Bradford in exchange for Nick Foles. By then signing Bradford’s college roommate, DeMarco Murray, to a five-year deal, it appears that Bradford will be the quarterback, at least for 2015.

“It’s going to come down to whatever they want to do,” Mariota said. “I’m not sure what Coach Kelly wants to do. He hasn’t talked to me about it. He’s been more of a mentor to me, whenever I needed someone. If I need to talk to him about anything, he’s kind of that person who’s been there for me.”

He probably won’t be there for Mariota if Kelly isn’t literally there for Mariota on the first day of the draft. For now, it looks like a long shot. Maybe it always was. But with Kelly making it clear that he regards the draft as a crapshoot, why wouldn’t he consider mortgaging a future of shooting craps for a sure thing?

More At The Link

#GeniusMasterPlan
Dreagon
I'm not totally ready to rule out that Kelly may still go for him. There's rumors he may trade Bradford to Cleveland for their 19th pick, then try to bundle the 19th and 20th and maybe a second to get into the top 5 and make a play for him.

Think about it...Bradford is a strange acquisition for you guys. He's injury prone and nowhere near as mobile these days as you would think Kelly would like, and there's also the fact he's pricey himself. Not to mention, if he were intending to keep Bradford, why in the world let Maclin go? Bradford needs a Maclin, which would suggest to me that either Kelly got him with another trade in mind, or he's decided to use that first round pick on a wideout.
BirdsWinBaby
i dont think he is talking like he thinks he is going to the Eagles...i think he is talking like draftees always do. until somebody shows them the check and the dotted line, everything and everybody is on the table
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 14 2015, 02:18 PM) *
I'm not totally ready to rule out that Kelly may still go for him.

I am. Despite his rep Kelly hates mobile QBs and, as Mariota's former coach, he knows first hand just how bad Mariota is. Mariota is a REALLY terrible quarterback. All Chip's pro Mariota talk is a mixture of trolling and trying to help out his former player.

I also want to say something about mobile QBs. In the college game, an offense frequently faces 9 man fronts hence the need for "a quarterback that can run, not a running back that can throw" in Chip Kelly's words. 9 man fronts do not exist in the NFL except in the redzone so Chip has absolutely no need for a mobile QB.
Zero
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 15 2015, 03:40 AM) *
I am. Despite his rep Kelly hates mobile QBs and, as Mariota's former coach, he knows first hand just how bad Mariota is. Mariota is a REALLY terrible quarterback. All Chip's pro Mariota talk is a mixture of trolling and trying to help out his former player.

Not sure he hates them, but he has repeatedly said he didn't need one. No doubt Chip is trying to help his former player. I'm not really surprised to hear the whining from the released/traded players because they have essentially been released from the family. Remember the reports of Chip calling a team meeting in Oregon after he decided to accept the job in Philadelphia? Players said he cried. Sounds to me like he establishes a tight family relationship with his team and when these guys are removed from the family they are hurt. Pumping up Mariota fits that whether he's the next coming or just a stiff who can run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.