Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If You Honestly Think DeMarco Murray Is A Better RB Than Shady McCoy; Say It Now...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
Once again in classic Eagles fandom fashion yesterday's player is no longer talented... this debate is raging across Eagles boards everywhere so WingHeads I have to know... how do you feel?

In case it's even a question... I'm going with Shady all day, every damn day... I knew he'd get traded but Kiko Alonso? Now this? The disrespect! You just put a battery pack into that boy
Phits
Shady is the more talented RB, but that doesn't mean he is the better RB. Shady led the league with 120+ carries for 0 or negative yards last season...he had 312 carries total. That's nearly 40% of his carries. 4 out of 10 attempts he got 0 or -negative yards. For a team that moves the ball quickly, negative yardage by the RB is a dagger.

That's not to say that Shady couldn't break one, because he could. He is also a fantastic open field runner, especially if he has to beat a man (or two) 1 on 1. He is an outstanding talent, but he isn't the better RB.
samaroo
In a vaccuum, I say Shady is the better RB. I think Shady might be the best RB in the NFL, though there is room for argument. And I think he might be the shiftiest runner since Barry "All-Universe" Sanders.

ALSO: I loved having him on the field in Midnight Green. He was exciting, explosive and a potential TD with every carry. And I would hate to play against him.

BUT: I get why he doesn't fit with the offensive style we run. Also, as much as fans hate it, it's always nice to trade a great player for good value than keep him until he has none. That is true with very few exceptions (see: Brian Dawkins.)

SUMMARY: I will miss him on Sundays, and will remember him (on the field) fondly, and he was (maybe) the greatest RB in Eagles history, but I'm okay moving on. He's no Dawk or Reggie. I miss Cole more. I miss Big Todd more. I miss DJax way less. Let's go Murray!
nephillymike
The best ability is availability and Shady gets that.

He also is better in the second level space, which we had a ton of in this offense.

Murray is an excellent back and he is definitely a more plus back. Few losses, which should make us in better 2nd down situations.

Murray will do well.

He's a slither below Shady IMO.
mcnabbulous
Why can't they both be good? It's like the old Barry vs. Emmitt arguments. Different styles, different results.

canadianeagle
While I think Shady is the better back I'm finding it difficult understanding the need to compare. As much as I liked McCoy no one is going to convince me that a lineup of McCoy - Sproles-Matthews is better that Murray-Sproles-Matthews, Alonso and an additional 4 million a year off the cap.

Birdwatcher
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Mar 12 2015, 10:15 PM) *
While I think Shady is the better back I'm finding it difficult understanding the need to compare. As much as I liked McCoy no one is going to convince me that a lineup of McCoy - Sproles-Matthews is better that Murray-Sproles-Matthews, Alonso and an additional 4 million a year off the cap.

That is the real point, when you strip away fuzzy feelings, is the team better because of the trade? Honest answer, yes, see canadianeagle post above. I loved Shady, but he did just set the all time team rushing record and that does mean he has lots of miles on his treads. Last year his 'yards after contact' were the lowest of his career. He is still a great back but the new 'injury prone' committee can split touches and ease the load to reduce injury risks. I'm betting Chip told Murray not to expect even 300 carries next season, so he doesn't wear out too soon. Also note that Murray has over 600 fewer carries than Shady, about two heavy seasons worth, that is relevant to the decision too.
JeeQ
I don't consider having less carries a positive if you have less carries because you're consistently injured... 2014 was the first time he made it through an entire season, and he still broke his hand
D Rock
Shady is more talented.

But Murray fits what we do better. Personally, I like his violent style more than the shifty style of mccoy. Also, watching shady run with the way he carries the ball.... was taking years off my life. It will always baffle me how he avoided being a human turn over. I like, north/south, violent, hit the hole running. But there's no question shady is more talented.

Also, Shady is a douche bag. That whole beating up the woman on the party bus, and leaving her stranded on a dark highway and his Twitter rants with the mother of his son are to me as ugly as anything Adrian Peterson or Greg Hardy did.
Dreagon
It depends on what you're wanting that back to do. Shady is the bigger homerun threat, and a much more elusive back. But his yards after contact have really tailed off the past couple of years.

Murray is simply not elusive, and sometimes seems to relish making a cut straight into a defender in an attempt to knock him off balance and bull past him. He has tremendous power, and backfield defenders probably loathe seeing him get past the defensive line. He is not the home run threat that Shady is, and can be caught by most cornerbacks and safeties...although they would be wise to tackle him from behind. He has decent pass catching ability, but I think Shady does too. Where Murray outclasses McCoy is in the area of pass blocking. He is good at picking up blitzes, is not afraid to take on blitzing linebackers, and if Sam Bradford is going to be your QB then that matters.
Zero
Dreagon is right on. You're sort of asking if a blonde or brunette is sexier. They're both good at what they do, the difference is which style fits the offense better.

I'm a little disappointed that Shady is pitching such a hissy fit over being traded. Not sure if Kelly is being honest in saying he tried calling first, but McCoy needs to grow up. He knows it's a business and it's not like he's losing money or prestige.
Phits
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 13 2015, 02:44 AM) *
Where Murray outclasses McCoy is in the area of pass blocking. He is good at picking up blitzes, is not afraid to take on blitzing linebackers, and if Sam Bradford is going to be your QB then that matters.

I think this is key.
Birdman420
I guess i'm the only one that voted for Murray over Shady and here's why...

I'm not basing this off of total yards, touches or touchdowns. I wanted to imagine Murray in the -1, -2 and no gain plays that Shady ran last season- I couldn't see Murray losing yards in those situations that Shady did. I see Murray Hitting the hole that chip makes for him and if the hole is stuffed he will still hit it at full speed gaining at least a yard or two.

In our offense I think Murray is a much better fit and sproles is our lightning round guy
Phits
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Mar 13 2015, 10:59 AM) *
I guess i'm the only one that voted for Murray over Shady and here's why...

I'm not basing this off of total yards, touches or touchdowns. I wanted to imagine Murray in the -1, -2 and no gain plays that Shady ran last season- I couldn't see Murray losing yards in those situations that Shady did. I see Murray Hitting the hole that chip makes for him and if the hole is stuffed he will still hit it at full speed gaining at least a yard or two.

In our offense I think Murray is a much better fit and sproles is our lightning round guy

Agreed. However, I think the question was based on talent not the better fit. At least that's how I answered it.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 13 2015, 09:12 AM) *
Agreed. However, I think the question was based on talent not the better fit. At least that's how I answered it.

Solely off talent...

This is good old fashioned barber shop sports talk

It's like arguing Peyton Vs Brady, Revis Vs Sherman, etc...
Eyrie
Straight up, McCoy is the more talented player.

That said, I accept the argument that Murray is the better fit for Kelly's offense.
D Rock
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 13 2015, 08:44 AM) *
It depends on what you're wanting that back to do. Shady is the bigger homerun threat, and a much more elusive back. But his yards after contact have really tailed off the past couple of years.

Murray is simply not elusive, and sometimes seems to relish making a cut straight into a defender in an attempt to knock him off balance and bull past him. He has tremendous power, and backfield defenders probably loathe seeing him get past the defensive line. He is not the home run threat that Shady is, and can be caught by most cornerbacks and safeties...although they would be wise to tackle him from behind. He has decent pass catching ability, but I think Shady does too. Where Murray outclasses McCoy is in the area of pass blocking. He is good at picking up blitzes, is not afraid to take on blitzing linebackers, and if Sam Bradford is going to be your QB then that matters.

Huh? McCoy is an excellent blocker in blitz pickup.

Dreagon
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 13 2015, 02:31 PM) *
Huh? McCoy is an excellent blocker in blitz pickup.

It didn't seem that way to me, but I thought it only right to try and back that up. I could only find stats for the year 2013, but Pro Football Focus had him ranked in the bottom 10 of the league in pass blocking.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/...cy-rbs-and-tes/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.