Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For the optimists
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I don't like the trade, not because of Bradford but because I think an experienced trader could have gotten a better deal from a team that obviously wanted to trade. Whatever, it's done and it looks like a reclamation project for Pat and the Chipper.

I read all the hate and as a DKD I thought I'd do some research ... I want to feel better about this. Drafted in 2010 Bradford's OC was Pat Shurmer.
Shurmur also made a tangible impact on Sam Bradfordís immediate success as a rookie in 2010. The first-overall pick out of the University of Oklahoma set NFL rookie records for most consecutive passes without an interception (169) and most completions (354). Under Shurmurís tutelage, Bradford finished the season with a 60.0 completion percentage, 3,512 yards and 18 touchdown passes, winning the AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Award.
The next year Shurmer went to Cleveland.

Here's some scouting reports prior to the 2010 draft:
Walter Football
Strengths:
Good size with room to add some bulk
Peyton Manning-like accuracy
Outstanding job of anticipating routes
Solid arm strength
Capable of making all the throws
Smooth, consistent spiral
Textbook footwork and can drop back if asked
Great decision-maker since freshman year
Understands timing
Well versed in progression reads
Experienced
Very quick release
Ridiculous level of production
Sells play action
Places ball in stride of receiver
Will step up in pocket
Decent athleticism
Throws pro routes and has been under center more than given credit for in career
Strong leader and good character
CBS
Accuracy: One of the more deadly accurate passers in recent memory whether throwing short, intermediate or deep. Places throws in tight spaces when facing zones or splitting two defenders down the seam. Puts the ball on his man's numbers so he can make a play after the catch, whether the receiver is standing still or on the move. Anticipates receivers' routes very well, and doesn't have to wait until they make their break or get open. Accurate on fades into the end zone or behind defenses, although a bit inconsistent in trajectory on those throws.
SBNation
Decision making: Elite decision maker. Rarely threw the ball into bad coverage. Does a really nice job anticipating routes and throwing it in the receiver's stride. Field vision: Bradford made his name by being able to read defenses and check down to his second and third target. Plays intelligently before the snap, reading the defense. Showed the ability to pump his shoulder to move the safety over. The question here is whether Bradford will be able to make his pre-snap adjustments while dropping back.
draftbreakdown
Comes from a spread offense where he had very large windows to throw the ball. Has some serious durability questions after suffering a season ending shoulder injury in 2009. Durability is a little less of a concern after his pro day performance and the bulk he added during the offseason. Releases the ball with a 3/4 delivery. Doesnít step up into the pocket when pressure comes from the outside, rolling out instead. Didnít face a tremendous pass rush on regular occasions at Oklahoma due to offensive line and scheme. Arm strength is just slightly above average. Took the majority of his snaps from the shotgun.

Injuries worry me (and apparently Kelly too) but apparently Kelly doesn't think he has a realistic chance of getting Mariota and he and Shurmer think they can get Bradford back to being a top QB. Herreman's needs to be replaced - Bradford did best behind a solid OL and fell apart behind a shit OL ... Duh! Comparisons to Eli make me squirm but as much as I don't like the Lesser Manning he has a couple of trophies. Maybe this will turn out better than everyone thinks even if a better deal could have been made.
Pbfan
I agree he is (or was at least) a good QB when he stayed healthy. I'm not exactly sure what he showed that Foles didn't... And you're right, if this is the most we could get for Foles and our 2nd rounder, than something is wrong with the trader.

It's the same story as Alonso though, IF he stays healthy, he'll be good. They both could be great, but its not probable.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 11 2015, 08:28 AM) *
I agree he is (or was at least) a good QB when he stayed healthy. I'm not exactly sure what he showed that Foles didn't... And you're right, if this is the most we could get for Foles and our 2nd rounder, than something is wrong with the trader.

It's the same story as Alonso though, IF he stays healthy, he'll be good. They both could be great, but its not probable.

We've gotten rid of 5 Pro-Bowlers in 18 months - for a grand total of Sam Bradford, Kiko Alonso, a 5th round pick, and cap space.

Any and every GM in football should be drooling to do deals with Chip right now.
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 11 2015, 07:02 AM) *
We've gotten rid of 5 Pro-Bowlers in 18 months - for a grand total of Sam Bradford, Kiko Alonso, a 5th round pick, and cap space.

Any and every GM in football should be drooling to do deals with Chip right now.

4 ACL Surgeries Combined Already... A Grand Total Of 0 Games Played In 2014 Combined... 2 Full Seasons Without Injury Out Of 8 Combined...

Most teams would avoid these players like the plague; but not the genius; he even threw Mark Sanchez on top to spice things up
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 11 2015, 10:42 AM) *
4 ACL Surgeries Combined Already...

Hopefully he's in cahoots with a 'genius' sports medicine doctor.
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 11 2015, 07:58 AM) *
Hopefully he's in cahoots with a 'genius' sports medicine doctor.

Add in Walter Thurmond & Ryan Matthews and I think there's about 10+ season ending injuries between them all... This team might not even make it through training camp laugh.gif

In hospitals around the globe the word is spreading that Chip is handing out million dollar contracts
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 11 2015, 11:19 AM) *
Add in Walter Thurmond & Ryan Matthews and I think there's about 10+ season ending injuries between them all... This team might not even make it through training camp laugh.gif

laugh.gif

It'll be like some Monty Python skit where the ball gets snapped and 5 of our guys go down in agony.....like Monty Python, or a soccer match.
Zero
It'll be interesting to see how people react if this confusion turns out to work.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 11 2015, 11:28 AM) *
It'll be interesting to see how people react if this confusion turns out to work.

We'll all give him one big happy apology and our eternal gratitude for showing the rest of the planet how to coach and GM.
samaroo
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 12 2015, 12:31 AM) *
We'll all give him one big happy apology and our eternal gratitude for showing the rest of the planet how to coach and GM.

I don't see that happening.
JeeQ
I will say this after watching his press conference... he does sound extremely confident... like scarily confident... evil genius confident

Which means this is going to go one of two ways:

1.) He's going to be right... and he'll be called The Genius for years to come

2.) He's going to be wrong... and never be allowed in Philadelphia again

Either way I can't wait
samaroo
Soooooo...stock up on pitchforks while they're still cheap? lol

I'm still in the "I Really Want to Like Chip and Man Oh Man I Hope He Knows What He's Doing and Doesn't Screw This Up" camp. If you want in, I know a guy, but seats are filling up fast.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 11 2015, 09:02 AM) *

Wow!

Good point.

Yeah, I'd be calling Chip. I got $13, how 'bout you give me Manhatten??
nephillymike
Barrett Brooks said it best tonight:

"There is not one player on offense who scares any defensive coordinator anywhere"

True.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 12 2015, 11:43 AM) *
Wow!

Good point.

Yeah, I'd be calling Chip. I got $13, how 'bout you give me Manhatten??

We also got Maxwell, Thurmond and Matthews. Possibly Murray.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 12 2015, 11:46 AM) *

"There is not one player on offense who scares any defensive coordinator anywhere"

True.

That's almost true of Seattle and New England, as well. With the exception of QB.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 11 2015, 09:46 PM) *

True.

Can we change that to not one receiver?
Zero
Phil Savage @SeniorBowlPhil
Follow
At Sam Bradford Pro Day, many said it was most impressive display of arm talent since Troy Aikman in 1989. @Eagles betting on that version.
11:47 PM - 11 Mar 2015 Alabama, USA, United States

No choice, I'm focusing on the positives ... if Bradford stays healthy he can be the stud QB they need. "Healthy" is a key operative word these days. Let's pray that Kelly's sports science guru knows his shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.