Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sanchez coming back 2 yrs, 9M - 16M total incl incentives
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/03/...z/#more-2922119

Why I wait for the shoe to drop on Maclin, I'm in my "serenity now" phase of trying to calm down with good news and I come across the Sanchez resigning.

He gets 5.5M guaranteed. It's a two year deal. Has a $9M base and another $7M of incentives.

OK, before I hyperventilate let's try to disect this.

Let's assume for a minute that all of the incentives are bogus unreachables.

Why would they pay him $4.5M over two years unless he was expected to start? Would they pay a veteran backup 4.5 per for two years if he was a place holder for Mariota? For a guy to compete with Foles?

I'm confused. I'm going to assume he's going with his "you really need two QB's in this league" theory.

So if you need two QB's, do you pay a backup 4.5M per? Which in all likelihood will be more than that if he plays for an injured starter. OK, maybe you justify it by saying that you combine his and Foles cheap deal and in the end, we've devoted less than most others to the QB position. OK.........................

Does anyone think Sanchez is good enough if he starts for us?

I don't. So if it's Foles and him and Sanchez wins the competition, we're short at the most important position.

So let's hope that's not the case.

Now what if Chip has a deal in place already to move up and get Mariota? Do you pay Sanchez that kind of coin to be a place holder? I don't think you do. And if you're Sanchez, do you sign here under those conditions? Why would you? He could get similar money with a better chance to start elsewhere.

I think the guy has it right. Singing Sanchez to this deal means Chip is resigned to not getting Mariota and we will go with Foles and Sanchez and pick our starter from there.

Oh man.
JeeQ
Foles/Sanchez/Cooper/Gore in 2015... with another Marcus "Zero Tackles" Smith draft pick coming up

rumply
I doubt Sanchez would get a start anywhere else & that's why he is staying. & baring injury to Mariota he wont be getting one in Philly. But he has shown he is a capable backup & let's not forget the banged up OL didn't do him many favors last season.

I think we have much bigger issues at the moment than worrying about Sanchez.
mcnabbulous
Because Chip likes him and wants him to mentor MM.
JeeQ
If Mariota gets drafted #1...
rumply
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 8 2015, 09:49 PM) *
Because Chip likes him and wants him to mentor MM.

& there's that wink.gif
rumply
So next season we might see Sanchez as starter until coaches believe Mariota (or another rookie QB) is ready to start. This would help explain what looks to be overs for Sanchez & is Chip's way of ensuring the team has an adequate starter & rookie QB mentor.

samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 9 2015, 10:42 AM) *
I'm going to assume he's going with his "you really need two QB's in this league" theory.

I don't think it's anything more than this. I think we payed a slight premium for someone who knows the system, and did relatively well in it. And who is a veteran who played the backup role graciously last year.
koolaidluke
The guy is far and away the best backup QB in the league. I would take him over a lot of starters, not lest of all that buck toothed hack Foles. He completed around 64% of his passes for 7.8 yards per completion. He threw 14 TD's in 9 games, which prorates to ~25 over an entire season. The guy can play.

As for Maclin, I'm disappointed but the Eagles desperately need help on the defense and OL so the Eagles were right to not overpay.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 8 2015, 09:42 PM) *
Why would they pay him $4.5M over two years unless he was expected to start? Would they pay a veteran backup 4.5 per for two years if he was a place holder for Mariota? For a guy to compete with Foles?

I'm confused. I'm going to assume he's going with his "you really need two QB's in this league" theory.

So if you need two QB's, do you pay a backup 4.5M per? Which in all likelihood will be more than that if he plays for an injured starter. OK, maybe you justify it by saying that you combine his and Foles cheap deal and in the end, we've devoted less than most others to the QB position. OK.........................

Does anyone think Sanchez is good enough if he starts for us?

I'm surprised too, for the same reasons. Forgetting Sanchez's slightly-above-mediocre performance last year, he's currently throwing to Riley Cooper, Jordan Matthews, and Josh Huff. Good luck with that.
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 9 2015, 06:59 AM) *
I'm surprised too, for the same reasons. Forgetting Sanchez's slightly-above-mediocre performance last year, he's currently throwing to Riley Cooper, Jordan Matthews, and Josh Huff. Good luck with that.

Reading that made my skin crawl... that combination sounds good enough for last place
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 9 2015, 10:50 AM) *
Reading that made my skin crawl... that combination sounds good enough for last place

Besides Mariota and a couple O-lineman, it looks like only defensive players from Oregon are expected to be drafted, a couple pretty early. Do we keep our picks, draft a couple good defensive prospects from Oregon, and have a QB competition for next year between Sanchez and Foles? Do we trade all of our top picks for Mariota, and use the later round picks on a couple offensive players from Oregon who aren't being targeted? I'll give The Genius this, he sure as hell knows how to surprise people.
samaroo
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 10 2015, 01:23 AM) *
I'll give The Genius this, he sure as hell knows how to surprise people.

I think he'd be one hell of a magician.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.