Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cobb re-signs with GB
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Hopefully we'll take the hint.

Get it done Chip!!
nephillymike
So, the top two WR's were tagged at 12.8M guaranteed for this year.

the next best guy, Cobb, gets 4 yrs, 40M with 17M guaranteed.

the next guy up is Maclin.

S/B in 10-11M per year. Get it done.

People are saying he is replaceable. By who? Gotta do it in FA. He's now the best out there. Maybe in a stretch Torrey Smith, but other than him, not even slight interest from me on the others. Harvin? Please, be serious. Makes DJax look like a poster child for team unity.

Wide Receivers

1. Dez Bryant (Franchise Tagged)
2. Demaryius Thomas (Franchise Tagged)
3. Randall Cobb (Re-signed 4-year, $40M deal with GB)
4. Jeremy Maclin
5. Torrey Smith
6. Percy Harvin
7. Michael Crabtree
8. Kenny Britt
9. Cecil Shorts
10. Brian Hartline
11. Eddie Royal
12. Nate Washington
13. Hakeem Nicks
14. Mike Williams
15. Reggie Wayne
16. Denarius Moore
17. Leonard Hankerson
18. Dwayne Harris
19. Ted Ginn
20. Jacoby Jones (Signed 2-year, $5.5M deal with SD)
21. Harry Douglas
22. Vincent Brown
23. Brandon Gibson
24. Miles Austin
25. Jerrel Jernigan
26. Donnie Avery
27. Marcus Easley
28. Derek Hagan
29. Robert Meachem
30. Lance Moore
BirdsWinBaby
looks like a bunch of guys

question is...what is Maclin when he will be without Chip's offense and not playing across from Cooper

has he really made the case that the best of those 'bunch of guys' could not do the same?...more importantly, has he convinced Chip that those 'bunch of guys' are only worth a few mill while Maclin is a $10million dollar man?

is it a certainty that Smith, or even Crabtree couldnt replicate Mac's numbers playing across from Cooper? in this offense? you would have to be certain before you write that check. Mac isnt elite....below that line is a bunch of guys who are good. playing opposite cooper in this offense evens the playing field.

i would love to have Maclin back doing his thing for us. looking over the 'bunch of guys' that are left? maclin is good and knows the system...if Mac is gonna try to make himself seem like a super WR, making super WR money, without considering the factors? buh-bye dude. we can get simlar numbers from several guys on that list given these circumstances
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Mar 8 2015, 12:09 AM) *
looks like a bunch of guys

question is...what is Maclin when he will be without Chip's offense and not playing across from Cooper

has he really made the case that the best of those 'bunch of guys' could not do the same?...more importantly, has he convinced Chip that those 'bunch of guys' are only worth a few mill while Maclin is a $10million dollar man?

is it a certainty that Smith, or even Crabtree couldnt replicate Mac's numbers playing across from Cooper? in this offense? you would have to be certain before you write that check. Mac isnt elite....below that line is a bunch of guys who are good. playing opposite cooper in this offense evens the playing field.

i would love to have Maclin back doing his thing for us. looking over the 'bunch of guys' that are left? maclin is good and knows the system...if Mac is gonna try to make himself seem like a super WR, making super WR money, without considering the factors? buh-bye dude. we can get simlar numbers from several guys on that list given these circumstances

If Cobb is worth 40M over 4 putting up his numbers playing with the best QB in the world with an excellent side kick in Nelson, Maclin is definitely worth 40M over 4 playing with the QB's he played with this year and Cooper who took none of the attention away from Maclin. That should be very easy for all to see.

There once was a coach in this town who thought that WR's didn't matter. Thought the system would trump all. Four years of the insanity of doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results finally gave way to a different approach. An approach that saw us get a top flight WR and exposing for everyone just how ridiculously stupid the system over talent method was at WR.

As a fan I've learned from our past mistakes. Have they?

This is where Lurie, as someone who lived through it, needs to call to Chip and say, "Enough, sign the man."
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 8 2015, 12:20 AM) *
This is where Lurie, as someone who lived through it, needs to call to Chip and say, "Enough, sign the man."

I disagree. Lurie should stay in the background. He hired Chip to win a SB? and build a winning "program". He has to trust his judgment. Otherwise Lurie would be no better than Snyder.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 8 2015, 12:20 AM) *
If Cobb is worth 40M over 4 putting up his numbers playing with the best QB in the world with an excellent side kick in Nelson, Maclin is definitely worth 40M over 4

what are the details of the 4yr for $40 for Cobb?

like i said in another post, tate signed a 5yr for $31m but its a backloaded contract with most of the money he will probably never see

the packers just extended Jordy Nelson last year with another 4yr for $40m but his base+signing for 2014 was $5-$6m...its backloaded and he wont see the bulk of it likely.

if Mac wants one of those kind of contracts where it averages $10-11m a year but he will only make $5-6m in the next couple years? SIGN HIM UP! i bet Howie has no problem giving Mac that contract. neither do i

if he actually wants $10m+ in 2015? cuz he holds the birds over a barrel? no djax and only Cooper/matthews left? his last chance to cash in before his next injury? get a grip dude...seeya

i think this is where the 'far apart' reports come from
koolaidluke
Although the difference seems marginal, the offer the Eagles are making seems fair to me and I wouldn't be willing to go any further. I like Maclin and wish him well if he goes to play elsewhere but I think the Eagles are correct to draw the line where they have.
Zero
Does Cobb's return ability factor into his contract?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 8 2015, 02:01 AM) *
I disagree. Lurie should stay in the background. He hired Chip to win a SB? and build a winning "program". He has to trust his judgment. Otherwise Lurie would be no better than Snyder.

I agree with you on this 90% of the time. There are certain times when an owner needs to be a leader and not some uninformed stander by.

For example, Lurie did not realize we were not going to resign Dawkins. He was shocked afterwards. Perhaps a more in tune owner could have made one phone call and prevented that black eye. That is supposedly the thing that ousted Banner. Lurie seems detached and uninformed. Take his remarks on a Monday after the season vs. those of the Friday that same week when he restructured the office. He went from"Is that a serious question" to the huge office restructuring.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 8 2015, 09:13 AM) *
There are certain times when an owner needs to be a leader and not some uninformed stander by.

For example, Lurie did not realize we were not going to resign Dawkins. He was shocked afterwards. Perhaps a more in tune owner could have made one phone call and prevented that black eye. That is supposedly the thing that ousted Banner. Lurie seems detached and uninformed. Take his remarks on a Monday after the season vs. those of the Friday that same week when he restructured the office. He went from"Is that a serious question" to the huge office restructuring.

cheers.gif

There's empty suits like Jerry Jones, and then there's silent partners like Lurie. There's active and annoying owners who have no success like Dan Snyder, and there's active and annoying owners who have a lot of success like Mark Cuban. Lurie, who wouldn't know what work is if he had to spend all day directing his butlers on how to properly trim his hedges in the summer heat, appears to have absolutely no clue what's going on at times. I'd be very interested to hear what his reaction was after the Shady trade - I mean his real reaction, not public reaction if there was one.
Zero
How about Britt if Mac leaves? He shouldn't be as expensive and he fits the measurables Kelly looks for.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 8 2015, 10:49 AM) *
How about Britt if Mac leaves? He shouldn't be as expensive and he fits the measurables Kelly looks for.

No. He was not good most of the last few years.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 8 2015, 08:13 AM) *
I agree with you on this 90% of the time. There are certain times when an owner needs to be a leader and not some uninformed stander by.

Either you're involved or you're not. Exercising "veto power" at your leisure is no way to display trust for your executive team. On field decisions should be left up to the management team of GM's and Coaches. Changes in the management team is another story.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 8 2015, 11:38 AM) *
Either you're involved or you're not. Exercising "veto power" at your leisure is no way to display trust for your executive team. On field decisions should be left up to the management team of GM's and Coaches. Changes in the management team is another story.

Do you think if Lurie, Banner and Reid all sat in a room and discussed Dawkins that he would have gotten away?

Sometimes an owner has to be the go between. In a case like Dawkins, Banner was pissed that he didn't sign at the number offered, Dawk was pissed that he felt disrespected, Reid and Banner already had a broken relationship over the power struggle happening at the time. He wouldn't necessary be vetoing anyone, but conducting a cooler head dialogue in a broken situation so that the team could arrive at a tenable decision. Who knows, we may have never had to announce Stacy Andrews day!

Now what has happened here? A coach with little GM experience with a relatively inexperienced right hand man in a recently broken relationship with the guy who used to do the job. It screams for Lurie to be involved. Again, not to veto, but to make sure things go well.
nephillymike
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/307...on-torrey-smith

We're not in Torrey Smith discussions.

So he was the only other guy other than Maclin that I was interested in. Maybe we're not interested b/c we got Mac up our sleeve?
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 8 2015, 12:58 PM) *
Do you think if Lurie, Banner and Reid all sat in a room and discussed Dawkins that he would have gotten away?

I don't think Lurie should have been sitting in a room discussing this issue. If the management team in place could not reach a decision on personnel there are bigger issues to deal with then the release of a player.

Sometimes an owner has to be the go between. In a case like Dawkins, Banner was pissed that he didn't sign at the number offered, Dawk was pissed that he felt disrespected, Reid and Banner already had a broken relationship over the power struggle happening at the time. He wouldn't necessary be vetoing anyone, but conducting a cooler head dialogue in a broken situation so that the team could arrive at a tenable decision.
Who knows, we may have never had to announce Stacy Andrews day!

Now what has happened here? A coach with little GM experience with a relatively inexperienced right hand man in a recently broken relationship with the guy who used to do the job. It screams for Lurie to be involved. Again, not to veto, but to make sure things go well.

In this scenario Lurie's responsibility would be to make sure that his exec team had a person in place to ratify such conflicts. That person should not be the owner, unless the owner has final say on the on field product. Which would mean that the power shifts back to the owner to make personnel decisions.
Zero
From that page:
Report: Eagles offer RB Gore $7M guaranteed
Yahoo's Rand Getlin reports the Eagles have an offer on the table for free agent Frank Gore that includes $7 million in guarantees.
Per Getlin, the deal would average more than $5 million annually. It's possible all $7 million of the guaranteed money would be on the books for 2015. Gore remained highly productive in 2014, but it would be a princely sum for a 32-year-old back (in May) who has racked up massive workloads for over a decade.
That's $5 mil less than Shady and if it's all one year and we have picks we could be drafting a RB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.