Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here's a good source for up to date FA news for Eagles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/03/...s/#more-2921891

Eagles are big players for McCourty and Maxwell.

Realistically, if we get both of them, plus Maclin back, then we can fill in with tier 2 FA's at the other PON. (OG, RB, 2nd CB)

I just think there is so much competition out there for the big ones that we may have difficulty in landing them.

Fingers crossed.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 7 2015, 06:40 PM) *
Realistically, if we get both of them, plus Maclin back, then we can fill in with tier 2 FA's at the other PON. (OG, RB, 2nd CB)

Even getting just Maxwell right now will make me feel better, anything else on D is a bonus. But shouldn't we have signed Maclin by now? I don't pretend to know or care about SOP in terms of NFL front offices, but I really think he's going somewhere else now. Do you disagree?
mcnabbulous
It's being reported that we offered Maclin $9MM. That's more than fair. He wants to test the market. We'll see how it plays out.

I expect Maxwell and McCourty to be Eagles.
Zero
WTF is the chatter that Kareem Jackson has a deal with the Texans? I thought rules were that signing couldn't happen until the 10th.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 7 2015, 07:08 PM) *
Even getting just Maxwell right now will make me feel better, anything else on D is a bonus. But shouldn't we have signed Maclin by now? I don't pretend to know or care about SOP in terms of NFL front offices, but I really think he's going somewhere else now. Do you disagree?

Yes, I agree that if he's not signed by the start of FA, he is likely going elsewhere. The odds of players signing with their old teams once they hit the market are long and unattractive to me. If the guy wants to stay and he hits the market, feelings are hurt etc. There's is NO excuse not to sign him. It would be different if he said he wanted to test the market all along but that isn't the case. I hope the Eagles know what they're doing. I think Howie's experience would help here. If you have to pay a premium, so be it. They need to realize the market now is like no other market. You need a feather in your cap before FA to say "see, we like people and they like us". Without him, and given all of the recent departures, we could seem not relationship worthy out there in the meat market of free agency, standing at the bar at the end of the night looking all handsome with a pocketful of cash and no pretty ladies, searching for that drunk suitor who gives us some attention only to find out the next day that we just signed Cary Williams and Brandon Fletcher, but I digress!!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 7 2015, 07:35 PM) *
WTF is the chatter that Kareem Jackson has a deal with the Texans? I thought rules were that signing couldn't happen until the 10th.

You can sign your own players now, just like we could sign Maclin.
nephillymike
Another good list that has the rankings and the deals as they're signed.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/5158...ree-agents?pg=2
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 7 2015, 07:08 PM) *
But shouldn't we have signed Maclin by now? I don't pretend to know or care about SOP in terms of NFL front offices, but I really think he's going somewhere else now. Do you disagree?

last report i heard from a beat writer said that they were far apart....Maclin knows he had a good year and wants top WR money from the eagles.

my speculation is that that Kelly believes Maclin's career year was due to his system...and playing opposite Cooper. kinda like how Nnamdi fooled people into thinking he was better than he was being the tallest midget of a bad CB tandem in Oakland

to be honest Mac's year wasnt all that epic. when the top guys have 1600-1700 yds and Djax got 1169 on a bad team, it kinda puts Jmac's 1300 in perspective...the only reason the Eagles would be willing to pay him above his talent is familiarity with Chip's system.

we might both be wrong but i agree with Chip....test the market Mac....if you can get more than $10 or $11m? go for it...we will be ok. i will take another guy (good WR=a guy=way less than $10m) and plug him in. Cooper is still here. so yea....that guy will be another having a career year
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Mar 7 2015, 08:18 PM) *
last report i heard from a beat writer said that they were far apart....Maclin knows he had a good year and wants top WR money from the eagles.

my speculation is that that Kelly believes Maclin's career year was due to his system...and playing opposite Cooper. kinda like how Nnamdi fooled people into thinking he was better than he was being the tallest midget of a bad CB tandem in Oakland

to be honest Mac's year wasnt all that epic. when the top guys have 1600-1700 yds and Djax got 1169 on a bad team, it kinda puts Jmac's 1300 in perspective...the only reason the Eagles would be willing to pay him above his talent is familiarity with Chip's system.

we might both be wrong but i agree with Chip....test the market Mac....if you can get more than $10 or $11m? go for it...we will be ok. i will take another guy (good WR=a guy=way less than $10m) and plug him in. Cooper is still here. so yea....that guy will be another having a career year

I think that is faulty thinking this year.

The league has a crazy amount of cap to spend with some teams needing to spend to avoid a possible payback to the NFLPA when they get nothing to show for it.

Mac and Cobb will be around the same money. If it's 10, 11 or 12M, it doesn't matter. Get it done. This shit of getting stuck with the Cary Williams and Bradley Fletcher's of the world in FA has got to stop. Why, so we can roll it forward and not spend it for the next decade? He should be more valuable to us than anyone else. Lose him and DJ back to back years with Cooper not doing shit, what are we going to do? Run the single wing offense?

Pay the man his money, and pay him before he goes to market!!
JeeQ
Maclin wants 11M a year... bet he gets it from a team not named the Eagles

Cooper/Matthews as the current starting WRs... two seasons ago we had two Pro-Bowl caliber WRs on the same roster
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 7 2015, 08:28 PM) *
I think that is faulty thinking this year.

The league has a crazy amount of cap to spend with some teams needing to spend to avoid a possible payback to the NFLPA when they get nothing to show for it.

Mac and Cobb will be around the same money. If it's 10, 11 or 12M, it doesn't matter. Get it done. This shit of getting stuck with the Cary Williams and Bradley Fletcher's of the world in FA has got to stop. Why, so we can roll it forward and not spend it for the next decade? He should be more valuable to us than anyone else. Lose him and DJ back to back years with Cooper not doing shit, what are we going to do? Run the single wing offense?

Pay the man his money, and pay him before he goes to market!!

the market can decide what his value is....throwing away cap space on a guy who isnt worth it is never a good choice. this year or any other

there is a case to be made that production like Shady gave us ...cannot...be replaced by 'just a guy'....im not sure Mac is in that class of WRs

Golden Tate signed a 5yr $31m deal with the lions last year to play across from Megatron....base+bonus was $3.1m last year and he put up more yards than Mac and Johnson missed 3 games. Mac played all year across from Mega-Cooper?

Mac isnt elite....he is a good player...but if he wants elite pay he needs to trick the redskins into giving it to him. Chip wont , nor should he
Zero
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 7 2015, 08:44 PM) *
Maclin wants 11M a year... bet he gets it from a team not named the Eagles

Cooper/Matthews as the current starting WRs... two seasons ago we had two Pro-Bowl caliber WRs on the same roster

On the same roster maybe, but Maclin didn't play.
nephillymike
Here's today's update thread: (different link than yesterdays)

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/03/...s/#more-2922046
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.