Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My sister's boyfriend's brother...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
koolaidluke
Is an electrician who does wiring for the novacare, including all the wiring for Chip Kelly's office (and Chip Kelly supposedly has gizmos out the ass). He overhears a lot of stuff about the potential trade up for Mariota and this is what he told us last weekend:

The initial offer to Tampa was 2 firsts, this years 3rd, next years 2nd and Foles, Curry, Boykin, Kendricks and Matthews. I had a hard time believing this because I didn't believe the Eagles would be willing to part with 2 core young players like Kendricks and Matthews and also felt like Matthews has zero trade value anyway.

Tampa must have felt the same way because they were categorical in their rejection. So then the Eagles sweetened the pot and replaced Matthews with... Lane Johnson.

As far as my sister's boyfriend's brother knows, that last offer still stands and he doesn't know what Tampa's response was/is.
Zero
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 7 2015, 12:40 AM) *
As far as my sister's boyfriend's brother knows, that last offer still stands and he doesn't know what Tampa's response was/is.

koolaidluke
regardless of what you think of my sister's boyfriend's brother as a source, what do you think about the trade offered?

Here's what I think: the 2 firsts are a given. The 2nd and 3rd are a given as well since that is what the Skins gave the Rams. If we are throwing in players, then definitely Foles, Curry and Boykin go because they are tradeable players who have future with the team anyway.

If that isn't good enough for Tampa, then I can add an extra first but that is my final offer. Good young players like Johnson and Kendrick's are categorically off the table.

Personally I wouldn't trade anything because I think Mariota sucks and since I'm the guy who makes the final decisions for the Eagles, that settles it. But as a theoretical debate, would you be willing to give up Kendricks or Johnson or even both of them?
nephillymike
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 7 2015, 04:07 PM) *
regardless of what you think of my sister's boyfriend's brother as a source, what do you think about the trade offered?

Here's what I think: the 2 firsts are a given. The 2nd and 3rd are a given as well since that is what the Skins gave the Rams. If we are throwing in players, then definitely Foles, Curry and Boykin go because they are tradeable players who have future with the team anyway.

If that isn't good enough for Tampa, then I can add an extra first but that is my final offer. Good young players like Johnson and Kendrick's are categorically off the table.

Personally I wouldn't trade anything because I think Mariota sucks and since I'm the guy who makes the final decisions for the Eagles, that settles it. But as a theoretical debate, would you be willing to give up Kendricks or Johnson or even both of them?

Nope. I offer neither of them.
mcnabbulous
Kendricks is gone.
Zero
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 7 2015, 04:07 PM) *
But as a theoretical debate, would you be willing to give up Kendricks or Johnson or even both of them?

I'd be very bummed losing either Kendricks or Johnson. Losing both would give me seizures. Of course, looking at what happens in FA should give us a clue as to what Chip's intentions are and how we will react.
koolaidluke
inb4: question is stupid. I know this question is stupid.

Would you be willing to give up both of them if you were given a guarantee by God that Mariota would be the next Aaron Rodgers? If yes, would your answer still be yes if the guarantee was only that he'd be the next Phillip Rivers?
koolaidluke
why do you say that?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 7 2015, 03:57 PM) *
why do you say that?

To answer your first question.

Yes, No (but I think Rivers is a really bad comp).

To answer this question...

Because he fits perfectly what Lovie does, I think he'd be extended by now if Chip wanted him, and our recent acquisitions have made him expendable. I think it's pretty obvious that he's gone.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 7 2015, 04:51 PM) *
Would you be willing to give up both of them if you were given a guarantee by God that Mariota would be the next Aaron Rodgers? If yes, would your answer still be yes if the guarantee was only that he'd be the next Phillip Rivers?

If he were guaranteed to be the next Aaron Rodgers they could have any 5 players they wanted on the roster, forget just Kendricks and Johnson. I'd give up any 3 for Rivers, a decade of excellent QB play where he hasn't missed one game.

But I think it's more likely he's the next RGIII - so forget it.
mcnabbulous
I don't really get the RG3 comparisons. Basically the only similarity between the two is that they are great athletes.

Mariota's personality sounds like the exact opposite, and that's largely what has caused Griffen's problems.

He's going to be a great one. Especially if his talents are maximized.
nephillymike
I don't know.

Is Mariota's arm rated as better than Sanchez when he came out?

I'm not sure about that.

He made all the throws at the combine but so did Sanchez.

We could be getting a great decision maker, excellent speed but average arm QB.

I don't have visions of Rodgers but I could see him being top 11, which is a step above where we are now.
mcnabbulous
There isn't one throw that I'd be concerned about him making. The other skills (decision making, athleticism, and throw in accuracy) are far more important in my opinion.

Additionally, all indications are that he's one of the hardest working guys on the team. Combine that with the physical attributes and the sky is the limit. That's not exactly how RG3 is thought of.

He likely has the Rodgers chip on his shoulder simply because he was so overlooked as a high school prospect. That bodes well to me.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 7 2015, 05:26 PM) *
I don't really get the RG3 comparisons.

1. They both played in fake college offenses that could have made anybody look good
2. They both were extremely reliant on their athleticism as a part of their game
3. RGIII can't stay healthy and Mariota looks too slight to stay healthy at the NFL level
4. They were both notoriously bad or at least mediocre at mid range passing
5. They were both the 2nd highest regarded prospects in their draft class
6. They were both involved in blockbuster draft trades*

Mariota is, at best, the next Alex Smith.

*coming soon
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 7 2015, 07:57 PM) *
1. They both played in fake college offenses that could have made anybody look good
2. They both were extremely reliant on their athleticism as a part of their game
3. RGIII can't stay healthy and Mariota looks too slight to stay healthy at the NFL level
4. They were both notoriously bad or at least mediocre at mid range passing
5. They were both the 2nd highest regarded prospects in their draft class
6. They were both involved in blockbuster draft trades*

Mariota is, at best, the next Alex Smith.

*coming soon

1. Every college offense is fake. Seriously. Nick Foles played in a fake, spread offense too.
2. Mariota is reliant, only in the sense that he uses it to control the pocket. He always has his eyes downfield. Always.
3. I'd agree this is a concern, but Chip wouldn't run him into the ground like the Shanahan's did with RG3. Chip's "read-option" is only an option situationally. The Shanahan's are dogshit.
4. I don't think this is true, but I'd be curious if you have any stats to back it up. He can definitely throw high at times, but he's a pretty great touch passer, from what I've seen.
5. Ehhhh, not so sure about this.
6. Yeah, we're definitely getting him.

I like Alex Smith (though I don't think he's capable of winning a SB due to his limited arm strength), but Mariota's arm is better, he's faster, and he'd be playing in the perfect offense to maximize his abilities.

Alex Smith can with 9-11 games a year. Mariota will be winning 13-15.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 7 2015, 09:21 PM) *
The Shanahan's are dogshit.

Dan Snyder is dogshit, the best tenure a coach has ever had under him is Marty's 8-8 in one season. Mike Shanahan has 3 rings, which is 3 more than anyone in Philly has had in 54 years.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 8 2015, 09:21 AM) *
Dan Snyder is dogshit, the best tenure a coach has ever had under him is Marty's 8-8 in one season. Mike Shanahan has 3 rings, which is 3 more than anyone in Philly has had in 54 years.

How about this. Mike Shanahan has been dogshit for 14 years.

Kyle Shanahan is the aftermath of a dog eating it's own shit and then shitting that out.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 8 2015, 11:51 AM) *
How about this. Mike Shanahan has been dogshit for 14 years.

Kyle Shanahan is the aftermath of a dog eating it's own shit and then shitting that out.

Better.
samaroo
Regarding arm strength, I think it can be overrated, especially in some offenses. Montana and Marino had weak arms, but it didn't matter in their O's. All of Foles' long balls look like super punts. Do we throw it long? Yes, sometimes. I'd rather have someone that can throw it short, accurately, than anything else, though.
mcnabbulous
Marino had a weak arm?
samaroo
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 9 2015, 10:07 AM) *
Marino had a weak arm?

And bad knees. But really nice gloves!
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 8 2015, 08:15 PM) *
And bad knees. But really nice gloves!

Eh, Marino had a good arm and a quick release to boot.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 9 2015, 10:20 AM) *
Eh, Marino had a good arm and a quick release to boot.

Yeah, his throw looked weird, but it was quick. And he was accurate, but not strong.

Whatever, my point still holds. Put Peyton's name there instead.
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 8 2015, 08:24 PM) *
Yeah, his throw looked weird, but it was quick. And he was accurate, but not strong.

Whatever, my point still holds. Put Peyton's name there instead.

Ok, I'll give you Peyton, but stay away from Dapper Dan!!
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 9 2015, 10:45 AM) *
Ok, I'll give you Peyton, but stay away from Dapper Dan!!

Okay! Okay! Damn, put on your Isotoner's and calm down!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.