Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question For All
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
As of right now, knowing what we did, knowing the cap space we have, your expectations of what we will get in FA and the draft and trades, how happy are you with the position we've put ourselves in?

1-10, with 10 being the happiest.

How does that compare to your rating as of a few weeks ago, before the cuts, with your expectations then?

Again 1-10.
D Rock
too early to tell until we see what we end up with.

I'm not bothered by anything they've done thus far, but could be if the return isn't substantial.

I'm wanting SIGNIFICANT upgrades at Corner, Safety, OLB to put me in the 6-8 range. For me to get to 10 it'll have to include a certain QB from Philly West.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 5 2015, 02:22 PM) *
too early to tell until we see what we end up with.

I'm not bothered by anything they've done thus far, but could be if the return isn't substantial.

I'm wanting SIGNIFICANT upgrades at Corner, Safety, OLB to put me in the 6-8 range. For me to get to 10 it'll have to include a certain QB from Philly West.

Cmon. No hedging DR

As of right now??
HOUSEoPAIN
I think a couple threads have already answered that question for you. A couple good FA signings and I'll be happier.
Eyrie
Right now I'd be at 3 or 4, because I'm not convinced we'll make all the signings that we'll need to in FA.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 5 2015, 07:30 PM) *
Cmon. No hedging DR

As of right now??

As of right now, I can only say I'm not bothered by the subtractions. Without knowing the additions, any answer offered would be meaningless. But like I said . . . I'm not bothered by the subtractions, assuming capable use of available accumulated resources.
Zero
I'm always happy. Maybe that's a product of the 60's and 70's or maybe it's brain damage from banging my head against bricks, but I'm happy.

Right now - 8 because we don't have any Silver Orbs and now there's someone who seems to be showing the passion to get them that the fans have had forever. Maybe it won't work. Maybe we'll suck for the next ten years because of it but we're making a fucking dramatic effort to get there instead of the same ole same ole status quo approach.

Before - 5 ... wishy washy, boring off season, hope for this or that and a chance to make an impact in another year and pray we beat fucking Dallas two times this year so I can feel fulfilled.

Go get 'em Chip! Don't let us down muthafuka!!!
nephillymike
To weigh it, I compared my FA plan I envisioned a few weeks ago, with where we are now. Here's the NEPM FA plan I posted a few weeks ago. Updates in bold:
===================================================================
#1.

I buy new lighting. Sconces is gone. He can take his $8.2M cap figure with him for his next "Leon Can't Do Everything" commercial. Good riddence to my most hated Eagle in the last ten years. Cap saving after dead money = $6.5M (check!)

James Casey is a cap casualty. No way to justify his $4.0 cap figure. Burton moves up to #3 TE.No dead money pure savings of $4.0M (check!)

If Carroll isn't good enough to replace the worst two CB's in the league, then I don't have a spot for him on my team. $2.9M of cap savings (TBD)

I liked the way Graham played, but truth of the matter is he's going to get much more elsewhere. Would consider bringing him back if he came cheap but I don't see that happening. $3.2M cap less 1.7M dead = $1.5M cap savings. (TBD)

Trent Cole made $5.0M in base this year. He is due to make $10M in base next year for a cap figure of $11.6M. Way off from his value. He is 32 years old. I offer him the same deal Peppers signed last year. At 34, he got 3 yrs, $26M, $7.5M SB, with $7.5M guaranteed. His cap hit in year one was $3.5M. I probably wouldn't even have to be as generous with Cole but let's say I did anyway. Cap savings of $8.1M, Cole would get $8.5M for this year, not as much as the $10M, but a hefty raise. This is worst case scenario. Reality is the Eagles could probably go cheaper. But I'll take the $8.1M savings. (Got more than that)

Shady's cap hit is $11.9. Seems outrageous but with $9.7M base, there's not much savings opportunity without extending him beyond the shelf life of an NFL RB. I don't change his deal and bite the bullet. He's still a PB caliber RB. No savings but Shady is back and happy for another year. (Didn't See This Coming)

So as a result of the above, my cap figure is improved by $23.0M for next year.

I sign a few of our lesser FA's, mostly RFA's.

I resign Sanchez $2.6M, Matthews 0.9M, Thorton 0.8M and Polk 0.7M. These are all modest increases and for most they're RFA's so only modest increases are due. If not Sanchez, then a QB who will make as much as him. He should be there if we want to go that route. These signings use up $5.0M.

Bye bye Fletcher, N. Allen, B. Smith and J. Maehl.

Maclin gets paid. The highest paid FA WR last year was E. Decker and I sweeten that deal. at 27, Decker got 5 yrs, 36.2M, $7.5M bonuse, $15M guaranteed. His year one cap figure was $4M. Figure Maclin gets a sweeter deal with an extra mill in year one cap so call it $5M of cap used. (Get'r Done)

Now I go FA shopping (TBD)

#9 CB #1. The top four cap figures for the top four CB's, Revis, Taslib, Verner and V. Davis were 6.2-8.2M of cap. I'll get one for $7.0M

#10 CB #2. Give me a mid-tier guy for $3.0M of cap. There were plenty signed in that range last year, not the superstars listed above, but a solid starter.

#11 S. Jenkins is fine, had a good year. Jenkins cost $2.7M in cap room this year, I'll use $2.5M of cap room to find an upgrade over Nate.

I just spent $18.0 M - Mac $5M, CB $7M, CB #2 $3M and S $3M.

So here's where we stand:

A. Starting Point into 2015 = $2.1M of cap available
B. Cap Cuts and Restructuring = $23.0M
C. Minor Resignings of our lesser FA's = ($5.0M)
D. Major FA signings (WR, CB#1, CB#2, S) = ($18.0M)

E. Adjusted Cap Room = $2.6M Plenty of money to sign rookies after the cap values of the cuts to make room for the rookies. There are other trimmings that are easy to do, should we desire.

No major holes needed to be filled. Draft the BPA in all rounds. Maybe we load up on some LB's but we have some injured guys coming back. Maybe pick a QB as high as round 2, given that we have two 4ths. Eight picks in seven rounds.

====================================================================
They cut Herremans and created a need at OG while saving 2.8M of cap room. They traded Shady and created a need at RB, but filled a need at ILB and produced 8.5M of cap room. The 11.3M from these moves is plenty to get a top RB and top OG. One thing from my analysis: the league gave teams about $5M more cap room than anticipated. So we could have did my plan and still had enough room to get on ILB without trading Shady, but no where near as good as Alonzo.

So with the additional $5M cap space the league gave us, IMO we could have accomplished all of the above and been fine and kept our picks. However, if we're really set up to get Mariota, we would have to indulge in FA more than even I would have done because we wouldn't have the picks to restock.

So to answer my own question, I'd say I'm about an 8 now as opposed to a 7 before. Slightly higher due to the extra cap space we cleared and my preference of FA over the draft. Slightly higher because I do think that Mariota will make a difference by his second year in this offense compared to Foles and with the moves we made, we are in a better positon to get him, although it is still less than 50-50 IMO. No offense to Nick, I wish him well and would be thrilled to have him compete for the job, but the running threat is big in this offense. Foles may be better than Mariota in 9 of 10 offenses, but not this one. I was at a 7 before because I knew what we could do if we spent and were aggressive in FA.

Now the downside caution.

I have visions of me, Charlie Brown, about to kick that football that Lucy is holding and talking myself into that this will be the year she doesn't pull it away and the year I won't fall on my ass in embarrassment. It's an annual ritual.

I have visions of me, NEPM, after thorough research knowing that we yet again have enough cap resources to buy just about anything we want in FA within reason and talking myself into that this will be the year they spend it and will improve our team to top caliber and this is the year that will not end in the frustration of knowing what talent we left on the table, only to be reminded week after week as teams abuse the hole that should have never been. It's been an annual ritual. sad.gif
Dreagon
I think you're going to have to wait and see how they spend all that cap money before you can truly determine what that position they put you in really is. It's obvious this ain't over.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 5 2015, 10:41 PM) *
It's obvious this ain't over.

Correctomundo. And, as a rival fan, how do you view what's happening here ... both what has happened and what is presumed?
Dreagon
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 6 2015, 05:34 AM) *
Correctomundo. And, as a rival fan, how do you view what's happening here ... both what has happened and what is presumed?

Well, from the outside looking in, it appears you guys are churning the hell out of your roster.

If Kelly succeeds in getting the guys he wants, and they gel into the vision he obviously has, then you guys may be more dangerous than ever. It's sure going to make predicting what we're going to be facing next year out of you guys almost impossible.

Now lets add the draft speculation that's going around the NFL. If you guys trade a raft of choices for Mariota, on top of the moves you've already made, then the end results are guaranteed to be a historic period in your teams history. Either ya'll will be remembered for remaking yourselves into a true work of genius, or for out-Snydering Snyder. It's too early to tell.

Either way, at this moment it has to be an exciting to be an Eagles fan.

I can only predict that five years from now, Chip Kelly will either still be coaching the Eagles, or he won't dare show his face on the East Coast.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 6 2015, 08:42 AM) *
out-Snydering Snyder

laugh.gif
I love it when people become verbs!
Dreagon
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 6 2015, 07:46 AM) *
laugh.gif
I love it when people become verbs!

Yep. The NFC East now features two owners and one coach who are as famous, or infamous, as anybody on their team.
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 6 2015, 11:34 AM) *
Correctomundo.

Did you really just type that?

HOUSEoPAIN
Maclin gets paid. The highest paid FA WR last year was E. Decker and I sweeten that deal. at 27, Decker got 5 yrs, 36.2M, $7.5M bonuse, $15M guaranteed. His year one cap figure was $4M. Figure Maclin gets a sweeter deal with an extra mill in year one cap so call it $5M of cap used. (Get'r Done)

You could certainly say Chip is systematically replacing everyone of Andy's, Joe's, and Howie's guys and replacing them with his own. With what's happened the last few days, personally I think he's somewhere else next year. Especially if the Mike Evans/Mariota for the farm scenario plays out. I would imagine anyone not resigned at this point won't be, though who knows what'll happen in Chip's first year of having absolute power.
Zero
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 6 2015, 09:53 AM) *
Did you really just type that?

My keyboard used to belong to Fonzie I guess.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 6 2015, 07:42 AM) *
Well, from the outside looking in, it appears you guys are churning the hell out of your roster.

If Kelly succeeds in getting the guys he wants, and they gel into the vision he obviously has, then you guys may be more dangerous than ever. It's sure going to make predicting what we're going to be facing next year out of you guys almost impossible.

Now lets add the draft speculation that's going around the NFL. If you guys trade a raft of choices for Mariota, on top of the moves you've already made, then the end results are guaranteed to be a historic period in your teams history. Either ya'll will be remembered for remaking yourselves into a true work of genius, or for out-Snydering Snyder. It's too early to tell.

Either way, at this moment it has to be an exciting to be an Eagles fan.

I can only predict that five years from now, Chip Kelly will either still be coaching the Eagles, or he won't dare show his face on the East Coast.

One other possibility occurs to me. Now that he has Roseman out of the way, Kelly is acting a whole lot like Jimmy Johnson when he first took over. Finding all kinds of reasons to cut loose players that don't fit his ideas so he can remake the team in his own vision. He may be willing to sacrifice a season or two in order to have a young team that's tailored to his vision three years from now.
make_it_rain
Ask me again Tuesday night at about 11pm.

Right now I'd put myself in the 3-4 range. I've been sort of back and forth with Kelly but if they end up letting Maclin walk (creating another need) and swing and miss Tuesday afternoon I will be buying my first ticket on the "Fuck Chip Kelly" bandwagon.

It's like Herremans said, we're dealing with someone who is brash enough to think he can just plug and play in 10 out of 11 positions on the field and his magical system will just take care of the rest, basically ignoring the talent gaps in the NFL, while simultaneously giving potential free agents real pause about just what kind of a guy Kelly is in terms of loyalty to his players vs. his "system".

Of course, $50M of capspace speaks pretty loudly and will calm many of the concerns FA may have, but we'll see about that at 4pm Friday.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.