Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few ramblings after having time to think about this
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
After the dust had cleared, a few concerns, hopes and thoughts and reality checks:

1. If I hear one more talk show, TV show or any other sports media personality say this trade was McCoy for Alonzo, I am going to scream. It was McCoy for Alonzo and whatever 8.5M of cap space will buy. As I said in another thread, only Jason Peters at 9.0 carries a higher cap charge than 8.5M for this year. You could buy anyone else on the team with that cap space and a combo of two others in many instances. The first year of a FA contract is typically low cap hit and as such, the Eagles can at least buy a top tier and one second tier FA with that $8.5M.

2. Jaws said on his show tonight that he had tweeted and talked with a good number of Eagles players in the last 24 hours. While he kept who said it confidential, he had this blunt statement: Team culture is dead! Ouch. Coming from him with his contacts, that is concerning.

3. It takes two to tangle in Free agency. People assume we will land every free agent we want. A hit rate of 50% or better is above average. Take the top six or so FA's you have in mind for us to get and then remove three of them as signing elsewhere. How does this deal look then?

4. Is Jeremy Maclin more or less likely to sign here today than a week ago? If I'm him, I'd pause. At a minimum, it ould force me out in the market and you never know.

5. Is Chip savy enough to get a bunch of free agents to buy into his program? Guys like Worrilds, Maxwell, McCourty, Revis, Iupati, Boling, Cobb etc, they have all had more success than us and they didn't have to drink the healthy shakes nor bedtime monitors. Herremans and Cole (and possibly Maclin, Foles, Graham and Ryans) were all high character guys who followed Chip's lead. The new group of FA's will not be as sold since they know success in other ways.

6. From a cap perspective, I showed earlier in the off season, that we had enough cap room, after cutting Sconces and reworking Cole down a few Million plus spending the rollover from last year, we had plenty of cap money to sign four high priced FA's plus Maclin. Will the Eagles go for more than that now that we have the huge amount of free cap? OR, will they go and squirrel away 20M+ for next year?

7. This does not do as much to help us getting Mariota as many think. If either the Titans or Bucs want Mariota, he ain't coming here. If the Bucs want him, they won't trade with us (assume for a second that is plausible). If the Bucs want Winston, they won't trade out of that spot to 20 b/c they won't get him. If they want him, they draft Winston and if the Titans want Mariota they take him and we're on the outside looking in. So it looks to me that we need neither of the Bucs or Titans to like Mariota and only one to like Winston, and neither of them to trade with another team who will have more attractive picks. Granted, because of system issues, some of those others won't want Mariota but all it takes is one.

8. I did think of this one possible thing of value we could give the Bucs; cap space. At a "paltry" 33M, they are to be about 27M less than what we'll have. By trading with them for a high price player, we can take a big contract off their hands and give them a cheaper one. Bucs, McCoy (10.0M), V. Jackson (7.3M), DL Johnson (9.0M) and Goldson (8.0M) all have net cap relief after trades that would be appealing. Goldson could be a nice S addition if we don't get McCourty.

9. With the blood bath going on, how the hell is Cooper safe from the fray?

10. If we don't get Mariota, then we keep Foles and keep our picks and just buy a few FA"s. With a spiked up D, that should be a good enough team to get into the playoffs. But then we'll have a bunch of picks for depth. With Mariota, are playoffs expected??
Zero
It's #2 that's the problem. Chip won the guys over and by disrespecting team leaders like Cole and Herremans there could be consequences he didn't consider.

I don't get how taking players and cap from TB would help get Mariota. I also don't see how this cap bulge will help. IMO he's accepted that he can't get Mariota and is trying to build a strong team around a good but not great QB. He'll draft one of the project QBs and try to coach him.
Zero
Mikey - how much $ will it take to extend key young Eagles: Cox, Kendricks, etc.?
Zero
Here's a point that Domo raised which isn't rocket science but hasn't been discussed:
It's not unusual to see a lot of turnover on a roster when a new coach is hired. The difference here is it's happening 2 years into Kelly's tenure, following back-to-back 10-6 seasons.
Linc ...

Shady is a great talent as is Jackson, but maybe they scored too quickly leaving the already suspect defense at a physical disadvantage. More decisive, grinder type runners who physically punish the defense and will soften the defense both physically and tire them. Bigger, sure handed and precise route running receivers can use his system to get open and move the chains similarly as the WCO is designed to do with mis-matches. Maybe Kelly has decided that TOP in the NFL is important after all.

It's reported that Polk received a low tender. If he leaves Sproles is the only RB remaining (Tucker and Barner) and is a perfect change up to a grinder. If he signs Ingram and drafts a rookie he has a platoon that can stay fresh and actually make Sproles a change up. Maybe he doesn't see the absolute need to resign Maclin and looks at someone like Smith from B'more as a good fit ... younger, bigger, speedy, talented.

One thing for certain, Kelly has sure taken "boring" out of this time of year!
HOUSEoPAIN
2. Jaws said on his show tonight that he had tweeted and talked with a good number of Eagles players in the last 24 hours. While he kept who said it confidential, he had this blunt statement: Team culture is dead! Ouch. Coming from him with his contacts, that is concerning.

That's a big problem. If they don't start 2015 on the right foot regardless of who's here, there could be serious locker room issues, even with 1/5th of the roster loyal minions of his from Oregon.

4. Is Jeremy Maclin more or less likely to sign here today than a week ago? If I'm him, I'd pause. At a minimum, it ould force me out in the market and you never know.

Has he even received an offer from us? Serious question, I don't know. The fact that tomorrow he can start negotiating with other teams is very concerning to me. I'm starting to think he won't even be here next year, if he were to be re-signed you would think this should've been done a couple months ago, especially since they didn't franchise him.

9. With the blood bath going on, how the hell is Cooper safe from the fray?

You tell me.

10. If we don't get Mariota, then we keep Foles and keep our picks and just buy a few FA"s. With a spiked up D, that should be a good enough team to get into the playoffs. But then we'll have a bunch of picks for depth. With Mariota, are playoffs expected??

If we do what it takes to get Mariota, he'll have more pressure put on him than any QB in recent memory as a rookie, and there will be no room for any errors. If Foles is starting next year, we'll be expected to exceed 10-6, and make a showing in the playoffs. It's year 3 - Lurie may give him another 5 years no matter what, but if he doesn't start showing some results fast with the personnel moves he's made, it's going to get ugly.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 5 2015, 09:00 AM) *
Shady is a great talent as is Jackson, but maybe they scored too quickly leaving the already suspect defense at a physical disadvantage. More decisive, grinder type runners who physically punish the defense and will soften the defense both physically and tire them. Bigger, sure handed and precise route running receivers can use his system to get open and move the chains similarly as the WCO is designed to do with mis-matches. Maybe Kelly has decided that TOP in the NFL is important after all.

rolleyes.gif

Oh for fuck's sakes.....not doing it. Not starting off the morning by addressing this. *fingers in ears* LA LLALALA LA LAAAAA
HobbEs
So why is it that when Andy and Joe Banner cut aging veterans (Cole, Herremans) loose it was a smart decision but when Chip does it it's a culture killer?

Maybe Chip wants to win with his own guys? Maybe Chip looked at the roster and said (a la Hinkie) 10-6 is the best I'm going to get with this bunch? I'm all for blowing it up if a Lombardi is the end result.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 5 2015, 09:16 AM) *
Oh for fuck's sakes.....

There are a few of us in here who don't pretend to know everything, some who know nothing but like to read, learn and discuss. There are others who are here to educate the first group, and even though they are the real geniuses of football they are unfairly not working in football.

The first group are either idiots, morons or merely less educated fans, the second are either unappreciated football minds, unemployed football geniuses or just assholes.
HOUSEoPAIN
There are others who are here to educate the first group, and even though they are the real geniuses of football they are unfairly not working in football.

The first part yes, but it doesn't take a genius to understand basic football strategy both on and off the field, such as not systematically shipping off your best players (or maybe it does take The Genius). It's especially tiring watching fans try to grasp at any straw they can to justify those moves, such as suggesting your star players 'score too quickly,' while playing under a coach who condescends to anyone who suggests TOP is important. I mean, FOR FUCK'S SAKES.....

The first group are either idiots, morons or merely less educated fans

cheers.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 5 2015, 09:00 AM) *
Here's a point that Domo raised which isn't rocket science but hasn't been discussed:
Linc ...

It's reported that Polk received a low tender. If he leaves Sproles is the only RB remaining (Tucker and Barner) and is a perfect change up to a grinder. If he signs Ingram and drafts a rookie he has a platoon that can stay fresh and actually make Sproles a change up. Maybe he doesn't see the absolute need to resign Maclin and looks at someone like Smith from B'more as a good fit ... younger, bigger, speedy, talented.

One thing for certain, Kelly has sure taken "boring" out of this time of year!

If any coach, offensive or defensive, has a problem with quick scores they should be dismissed immediately. When you score quickly, you take away numerous chances for drive ending penalties, turnovers, stops etc..
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 5 2015, 10:05 AM) *
If any coach, offensive or defensive, has a problem with quick scores they should be dismissed immediately. When you score quickly, you take away numerous chances for drive ending penalties, turnovers, stops etc..

Exactly. Using TOP as a decision making factor for the makeup or play calling of your team is an antiquated opinion. Players are bigger, stronger, faster and better conditioned. If conditioning is an issue, depth is the solution. Interchangeable parts.
JeeQ

Chip tried to force Culture by cutting Talent, and ended up with no Talent and no Culture. No team in the world is going to get excited over watching their best players get let go. Not only is it bad for morale it basically screams out "Every one of you is expendable! So be on pins and needles at all times!"
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 5 2015, 10:54 AM) *
Chip tried to force Culture by cutting Talent, and ended up with no Talent and no Culture. No team in the world is going to get excited over watching their best players get let go. Not only is it bad for morale it basically screams out "Every one of you is expendable! So be on pins and needles at all times!"

+1

DJax, while still a stupid move for nothing in return, was at least a headache and most teammates didn't care much that he was gone. After this bloodbath? Culture is important, but talent wins games. This no doubt has an effect on Maclin.
D Rock
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Mar 5 2015, 03:39 PM) *
So why is it that when Andy and Joe Banner cut aging veterans (Cole, Herremans) loose it was a smart decision but when Chip does it it's a culture killer?

Maybe Chip wants to win with his own guys? Maybe Chip looked at the roster and said (a la Hinkie) 10-6 is the best I'm going to get with this bunch? I'm all for blowing it up if a Lombardi is the end result.

jumpclap.gif

They wanted Chip. Then let Chip be Chip. Hopefully, it works. If it doesn't, or wont, I'd rather know sooner than later.
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 5 2015, 03:41 PM) *
There are a few of us in here who don't pretend to know everything, some who know nothing but like to read, learn and discuss. There are others who are here to educate the first group, and even though they are the real geniuses of football they are unfairly not working in football.

The first group are either idiots, morons or merely less educated fans, the second are either unappreciated football minds, unemployed football geniuses or just assholes.

Alex, I'll go with "assholes" for the win.

cheers.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 5 2015, 04:54 PM) *

Want to stick around? Get with the program. No pins and needles required. Just do your job, the way we ask you to do it, in exchange for all this coin, and a chance at glory. The idea (I'm guessing) is that those who'd find themselves on pins and needles in this arrangement, will be on the outside looking in quickly. I don't have a problem with that. If Carry "Sconces" Williams (for example) has a problem with that, I (for one) don't mind seeing him split.

Herremans & Cole are not in the same category. Those were more business decisions. Honestly, as someone else pointed out . . . had Reid/Banner/Roseman made those moves, they'd be lauded as "good business."

The only reason anyone is talking about any of this is Shady. I personally agree with moving him (and his cap) while it's still perceived as valuable. I also get that the move looks "uglier" under the light of Desean's leaving last year. But let's not kid ourselves. We didn't miss Desean. He had a good year (albeit with a lot of losing) in D.C.. But our offense didn't struggle without him.

I see how folks think moving Shady was a mistake. I don't agree, but empathize. But it's hard to disagree with the rest of these moves.
D Rock
Couldn't have said it better myself...
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 5 2015, 11:23 AM) *
Alex, I'll go with "assholes" for the win.

The answer for $200:

"People who tend to settle in Southern California within biking distance of a Whole Foods, often spending their time talking shit online to people to make up for lacking areas in their professional and personal lives. Constantly convince themselves that their current screenwriting gig is their big break. May reek of patchouli."
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 5 2015, 11:31 AM) *
But let's not kid ourselves. We didn't miss Desean.

He ended our season actually. And we were constantly reminded by opposing players that we missed him. I'll take their word over someone who thinks McNabb was never a top-30 QB.
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 5 2015, 05:27 PM) *
The answer for $200:

"People who tend to settle in Southern California within biking distance of a Whole Foods, often spending their time talking shit online to people to make up for lacking areas in their professional and personal lives. Constantly convince themselves that their current screenwriting gig is their big break. May reek of patchouli."

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

How's the weather out there? This brutal L.A. winter is a killer.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 5 2015, 01:12 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

How's the weather out there? This brutal L.A. winter is a killer.

It's awesome. In fact our fat cocksucker governor just declared a State of Emergency, and I'm about to go hit up a convenience store before everything closes. Thanks for asking.
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 5 2015, 06:33 PM) *
It's awesome. In fact our fat cocksucker governor just declared a State of Emergency, and I'm about to go hit up a convenience store before everything closes. Thanks for asking.

You're welcome.

Enjoy!

I'm stuck in this 74 degree SoCal hell hole where the swells out of the s.w. are a mere 4 feet today, wondering how I'll get the smell of patchouli off if the surf doesn't justify getting wet. Ah hell.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 5 2015, 03:05 PM) *

And the corollary of that is anyone who has a problem with the defence being on the wrong side of the TOP needs a better defence that can get itself off the field.

Herremans and Cole are "just business", which is sad but true. I still think we've been shafted over McCoy, particularly given that we had plenty of cap room anyway.

I'm waiting to see what happens next week (pitchfork at the ready).
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 5 2015, 01:33 PM) *
Wolf isn't fat ... unless you're talking about his pockets or you're not from PA.
Zero
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 5 2015, 02:20 PM) *
You're welcome.

Enjoy!

I'm stuck in this 74 degree SoCal hell hole where the swells out of the s.w. are a mere 4 feet today, wondering how I'll get the smell of patchouli off if the surf doesn't justify getting wet. Ah hell.

Because I'm one of the stupid ones, I had to look this up:
patchouli
Hippie perfume ... smells like forest, pot and snuggling
laugh.gif
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 5 2015, 02:45 PM) *
And the corollary of that is anyone who has a problem with the defence being on the wrong side of the TOP needs a better defence that can get itself off the field.

Herremans and Cole are "just business", which is sad but true. I still think we've been shafted over McCoy, particularly given that we had plenty of cap room anyway.

I'm waiting to see what happens next week (pitchfork at the ready).

I'll miss seeing defenders tackling Shady's shadow but like Mikey said, it's Shady for a potential stud MLB and another pro bowler to be named or two starters to be named. That's not being shafted.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 5 2015, 03:01 PM) *
Wolf isn't fat ... unless you're talking about his pockets or you're not from PA.

Christie, declares martial law every time a few inches fall.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.