Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: McCoy to Buffalo for Kiko Alonso
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
HOUSEoPAIN
I'm here fucking around on facebook for a little bit, listening to espn, and our clearance sale continues.

That's it, I'm finished with this shit. Seriously. If we don't win a playoff game next year we should tar and feather The Genius. We can only assume it'll be a free agent blitz and getting Mariota at this point.
El Cubano
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 3 2015, 05:41 PM) *
I'm here fucking around on facebook for a little bit, listening to espn, and our clearance sale continues.

That's it, I'm finished with this shit. Seriously. If we don't win a playoff game next year we should tar and feather The Genius. We can only assume it'll be a free agent blitz and getting Mariota at this point.

I'm sorry, but 1 playoff win will not be enough to justify a trade like this.
JeeQ
Feel like a broken record at this point but...

Chip's team... Chip's players

I'm sure none of us are shocked he was traded for another Oregon alumni... We truly are the Philadelphia Ducks

After Foles is gone that'll be about it for offensive players drafted under the Reid era
Pbfan
Just to add fuel to the fire, it looks like he's cutting Trent Cole also:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...cut-trent-cole/

Apparently the justification was he was scheduled to make $11.6m next year.

I can understand if we were tight on cap room, but if we aren't, why cut arguably our best play of the past decade? Is he ramping up to make moves in FA? I hope so, I just don't understand who he could be going after with all this space.
mcnabbulous
This is getting fun. Eagles crushed that trade.

I can't believe people are bitching about picking up a 24 year old stud LB.

Chip can make an offense work with Nick Foles at QB. We'll be fine on that side of the ball, especially when we land Marcus. Can't wait!
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 3 2015, 07:05 PM) *

Chip can make an offense work with Nick Foles at QB. We'll be fine on that side of the ball, especially when we land Marcus. Can't wait!

cheers.gif
JeeQ
We're talking about the same Kiko who missed the entire 2014 season coming off a torn ACL, right? Just making sure...
Pbfan

Oh I have no problem with picking up a 24 year old LB that tore his ACL and was out for all of last year. I object to the valuation. I don't think he is of the same value as a top 3 running back in the game.
samaroo
I need to buy more popcorn.
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 3 2015, 07:15 PM) *
We're talking about the same Kiko who missed the entire 2014 season coming off a torn ACL, right? Just making sure...

Yep that's the one.

In 2013, his rookie season, Alonso appeared in 16 games and recorded a team-high 159 tackles with two sacks, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and four interceptions.

HOUSEoPAIN

Nobody's bitching about picking up a stud LB - it's creating a need at RB by getting rid of one of the biggest playmakers in franchise history. We still have to sign Maclin, so currently our offense is Foles, Sproles/Polk, Matthews, Cooper, and Ertz.
mcnabbulous
When we sign CJ Spiller and then draft a guy in a really deep RB draft in the mid-rounds, we'll easily replace the overworked Shady.

I loved the guy, but he (like all running backs) is replaceable.
Pbfan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 3 2015, 07:18 PM) *
Yep that's the one.

Ok great, congrats on the link. Now link to some Shady facts and lets see how that measures up.

Also, I find it hard to believe that we couldn't get a better offer out there? We couldn't get a draft pick attached to that?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 3 2015, 06:19 PM) *
Nobody's bitching about picking up a stud LB - it's creating a need at RB by getting rid of one of the biggest playmakers in franchise history. We still have to sign Maclin, so currently our offense is Foles, Sproles/Polk, Matthews, Cooper, and Ertz.

With our $50 million in cap space, I'm sure we will be able to replace a very replaceable position.

We also have an absolutely dynamic ILB duo now. Which was severely lacking. This is a fantastic trade from a value perspective. Alonso will give us 6-8 years of exceptional play in the middle.
Phits
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 3 2015, 07:21 PM) *
Ok great, congrats on the link. Now link to some Shady facts and lets see how that measures up.

Also, I find it hard to believe that we couldn't get a better offer out there? We couldn't get a draft pick attached to that?

We all know what Shady has done as an Eagle. You have to remember that RB's are a dime a dozen. Getting high value for an elite RB is pretty tough. The fact that we got a young LB with tremendous upside is a pretty good exchange.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 3 2015, 06:21 PM) *

If anything, we should have had to give up a pick.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 4 2015, 12:05 AM) *

Bravo -

Shady was a douche bag. Good riddance to an over-hyped, easily replaced, loud mouth. Backs are a dime-a-dozen and with the normal shelf life, Shady's best days are behind him.

And we get the added benefit of seeing House of Lame apoplectic and "threatening" to "be done with this." Just think, we could lose TWO douche bags in one fell swoop!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Pbfan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 3 2015, 07:24 PM) *
We all know what Shady has done as an Eagle. You have to remember that RB's are a dime a dozen. Getting high value for an elite RB is pretty tough. The fact that we got a young LB with tremendous upside is a pretty good exchange.

I don't think getting a 3x pro bowl, 2x all pro, and former NFL rushing leader is a 'dime a dozen' situation. There are more LB's out there that are as good or better than Alonso, no?

By the way, I'm not saying getting rid of Shady is a bad choice, its simply the valuation that I am worried about.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 3 2015, 07:29 PM) *
Bravo -

Shady was a douche bag. Good riddance to an over-hyped, easily replaced, loud mouth. Backs are a dime-a-dozen and with the normal shelf life, Shady's best days are behind him.

And we get the added benefit of seeing House of Lame apoplectic and "threatening" to "be done with this." Just think, we could lose TWO douche bags in one fell swoop!

This is like a dinner discussion among adults where a 5 year old child keeps trying to nudge in and let his opinion be heard. Go lie down junior, let the men talk.
D Rock
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 4 2015, 12:30 AM) *
I don't think getting a 3x pro bowl, 2x all pro, and former NFL rushing leader is a 'dime a dozen' situation. There are more LB's out there that are as good or better than Alonso, no?

By the way, I'm not saying getting rid of Shady is a bad choice, its simply the valuation that I am worried about.

That's not who they got. That version of Shady wasn't who we had last year. They got THAT guy, with another year of wear and tear.

Alonso is a beast. And he's 24. If there were so many great linebackers out there, how come we've not had one since the Ray Rhodes ear? (kendricks not withstanding, he's new) Do you need to be reminded of the litany of 2nd round draft picks from Gardner to Caver to Matt Phuquing McCoy that were whiffs until we got to Kendricks?
Pbfan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 3 2015, 07:34 PM) *
That's not who they got. That version of Shady wasn't who we had last year. They got THAT guy, with another year of wear and tear.

Alonso is a beast. And he's 24. If there were so many great linebackers out there, how come we've not had one since the Ray Rhodes ear? (kendricks not withstanding, he's new) Do you need to be reminded of the litany of 2nd round draft picks from Gardner to Caver to Matt Phuquing McCoy that were whiffs until we got to Kendricks?

Oh wait so you want to value shady by what happened last year? Do you want to do the same with Alonso?
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 4 2015, 12:31 AM) *
This is like a dinner discussion among adults where a 5 year old child keeps trying to nudge in and let his opinion be heard. Go lie down junior, let the men talk.

Awwwwwwww. It's almost cute when you try to be funny. If one could only get past all the douchey-ness....

Buh bye - Shady Pie
Pbfan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 3 2015, 07:25 PM) *
If anything, we should have had to give up a pick.

Well, i'm sure glad you didn't replace Roseman
D Rock
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 4 2015, 12:35 AM) *
Oh wait so you want to value shady by what happened last year?

Of course. It's actually means something, unlike 2 years ago. 2 years ago is "ancient history" in the life-span of a running back.
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 4 2015, 12:35 AM) *
Do you want to do the same with Alonso?

Uh . . . That'd be stupid. He was hurt. Unlike a declining 30 year old running back, a 24 year beast of a linebacker has a future.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 3 2015, 07:34 PM) *
That version of Shady wasn't who we had last year.

Troy Aikman on Thanksgiving. "If you think Shady isn't the same player.....you don't know anything about football."

Totally agreed.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 3 2015, 07:38 PM) *
Unlike a declining 30 year old running back

He's 26 actually. Again junior.....go lie down.
Pbfan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 3 2015, 07:39 PM) *
Troy Aikman on Thanksgiving. "If you think Shady isn't the same player.....you don't know anything about football."

Totally agreed.

Yeah if there is someone who isn't the same version as what they were before, it would be Alonso. After an ACL tear you risk of injury jumps wayyyyyy up. Remember- the best ability is availability.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 3 2015, 07:40 PM) *
Yeah if there is someone who isn't the same version as what they were before, it would be Alonso. After an ACL tear you risk of injury jumps wayyyyyy up. Remember- the best ability is availability.

Yup. I even think he could be a very good LB - I just don't celebrate giving up our best player for him, unlike 5 year old Chip fanboys.
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 4 2015, 12:39 AM) *

Totally agreed.

Troy Aikman?????

Pbfan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 3 2015, 07:38 PM) *
Of course. It's actually means something, unlike 2 years ago. 2 years ago is "ancient history" in the life-span of a running back.

Uh . . . That'd be stupid. He was hurt. Unlike a declining 30 year old running back, a 24 year beast of a linebacker has a future.

What are you talking about? Who the hell is 30? He's not a declining 30 year old running back. He did well given our O-line problems. Definitely no evidence of decline other than looking at the #s straight up, out of context.

Stupid? He tore his ACL. Do you not think that has a important effect when forecasting his future production or injury probability? If there is one player whose previous year should carry weight, its Alonso.
samaroo
It seems like everyone was saying "Fix the defense!" a week ago, and now that we got a (hopefully) cornerstone ILB, everyone's upset that we're messing up the O.

I don't know how this is gonna turn out, but it's a fun ride so far, and bound to get more exciting. I can't wait to see the finished product.
D Rock
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 4 2015, 12:40 AM) *

I know. Maclin sure sucked after his SECOND ACL rebuild.

rolleyes.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 4 2015, 12:43 AM) *
It seems like everyone was saying "Fix the defense!" a week ago, and now that we got a (hopefully) cornerstone ILB, everyone's upset that we're messing up the O.

I don't know how this is gonna turn out, but it's a fun ride so far, and bound to get more exciting. I can't wait to see the finished product.

cheers.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 3 2015, 07:43 PM) *
What are you talking about?

He doesn't know what he's talking about - he thought McNabb was never a top 30 QB - to argue with him is to try to convince a 5 year old that Santa isn't real. Save your energy.
Phits
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 3 2015, 07:40 PM) *

How do you explain Maclin's season last year?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 3 2015, 06:43 PM) *

Was just about to post something similar. We had a gaping hole in the middle of our defense. After Meco went down, our defense got exponentially weaker and this guy is a major upgrade over Ryans at this point in their careers.

Shady is incredibly replaceable. His production was incredibly average last year. Mariota's presence alone will make up for any loss in production from Shady.

Yes I'm counting my chickens before they hatch.
Pbfan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 3 2015, 07:44 PM) *
How do you explain Maclin's season last year?

He was good, I'm not saying Alonso is GUARANTEED to suck, or get injured. But when you do the valuation, you absolutely weigh his ACL injury. Much more than you weigh Shady's drop in production. It wasn't really even a drop in production in the year overall. He ended pretty well.
JeeQ
Last season Shady was the fucking man on this team... the most dangerous playmaker on the Eagles roster... 5 seconds after he's traded...

"Shady wasn't that good anyways, dime a dozen RB"

You're all so full of fucking shit laugh.gif

You said the same things about Jackson yet were completely silent when he scorched our ass, took us out of the playoffs, and amassed another 1000+ yard season

It's becoming insanely predictable at this point... soon as an Eagles player is gone... cue Eagles fan saying the player was never good...

*conveniently continues to ignore Jackson and McCoy were on pace to break every Eagles offensive record*

Note: I'm completely aware I've been saying trade Shady since the off-season began... but you don't trade him for a LB coming off a torn ACL, who missed the entire season, and then get no picks in return either
Pbfan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 3 2015, 07:46 PM) *
Shady is incredibly replaceable. His production was incredibly average last year. Mariota's presence alone will make up for any loss in production from Shady.

So...many...stupid...statements....can't take it...*head explodes*
Zero
Both Cole and Shady were beasts for the Eagles. I really hate to see them go but if they can replace the favorites with players who will be more productive and less money they can make the team better. This is a very deep draft for RBs and there's now a ton of cash available for FA pickups.

It's not personal, it's only business.
Pbfan
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 3 2015, 07:59 PM) *
Both Cole and Shady were beasts for the Eagles. I really hate to see them go but if they can replace the favorites with players who will be more productive and less money they can make the team better. This is a very deep draft for RBs and there's now a ton of cash available for FA pickups.

It's not personal, it's only business.

How the hell can we draft a RB in the first couple rounds? We have so many other holes to fill... We can't rely on the draft to pick up another probable future hall of famer.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 3 2015, 07:53 PM) *
Note: I'm completely aware I've been saying trade Shady since the off-season began... but you don't trade him for a LB coming off a torn ACL, who missed the entire season, and then get no picks in return either

cheers.gif

JeeQ
Bring up this trade a week ago and get laughed out of the building:

Kiko Alonso who's played one season in the NFL before going out with a torn ACL for your multiple-time Pro-Bowl RB who continually charts Top 5 in yardage

You don't make that trade in the NFL, you don't make that trade in Fantasy Football, you don't even make that trade on Madden

The fact most people had to look up Kiko Alonso just to know who we traded for tells me everything I need to know
Zero
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 3 2015, 08:00 PM) *
How the hell can we draft a RB in the first couple rounds? We have so many other holes to fill... We can't rely on the draft to pick up another probable future hall of famer.

Don't know about HOF, but there's this thing starting next week that can fill some holes. I'm not a fan of Dream Team II but it sure looks like that's where we're headed. You can let your head explode thinking you know what the answers are or you can sit back and watch the show. Nothing we can do about it one way or the other.
JeeQ
Shady had an incredibly average season of #2 in rushing attempts, and #3 in total yards in his down year... rolleyes.gif
mcnabbulous
You guys are still in denial despite the fact that the guy that designed the offense clearly thinks Shady wasn't that good in it last year.

And to be clear, lots of people were down on him all season long. This isn't a new phenomenon. He was incredibly above average this year.
Zero
If this works it will be an incredible story. Big risk is often needed for big reward. My eyes are popping and I'm enjoying the activity. I sure as hell hope it works.

Here ...
• McCoy had a drastic drop in production from 2013 to 2014. As noted above, McCoy was the NFL's rushing leader with 1607 yards. He also had a very impressive 5.1 yards per carry. In 2014, his yards per carry dropped to 4.2. The Eagles suffered a number of injuries along their offensive line last season, but McCoy often didn’t look like the same back.

• McCoy was set to count for $11,950,000 against the salary cap in 2015. By trading him, the Eagles will save $8,550,000 of that figure. McCoy’s 2013 production may have warranted that kind of money. His 2014 production did not.

• The draft this year is loaded with good running backs. Here are a few that make sense for the Eagles.

• While the Eagles have now opened up a hole at running back, they likely filled one at ILB with Alonso, who was the PFWA Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2013 and is only 24 years old. He is a three-down linebacker who racked up 159 tackles, two sacks, and four INTs his rookie year.

• Alonso is inexpensive. He will only count for $1,172,837 against the cap in 2015, according to overthecap.com.

• Alonso comes with serious concerns. He suffered a torn ACL in his left knee in July and missed the entire 2014 season. In college, he tore his right ACL.

•DeMeco Ryans is likely to be the next cap casualty, as he is set to make $6.9 million in 2015, with no penalty to release him.
Pbfan
Here's another issue: At what point do we admit that Kelly is irrationally partial to Oregon players? When can we say that his valuation of player talent is clouded by whether they went to the school he used to coach? Would he make the same move if the kid had gone to a different school? Would he trade up if Mariota was in FSU and winston was in Oregon?
Phits
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Mar 3 2015, 08:17 PM) *
Here's another issue: At what point do we admit that Kelly is irrationally partial to Oregon players?

As soon as he does some to warrant an irrational partiality to Oregon players.
Pbfan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 3 2015, 08:25 PM) *
As soon as he does some to warrant an irrational partiality to Oregon players.

I'm not saying now's the time. If he did this and even entertained a retarded trade to move up for Mariota, then I would absolutely say we have a problem with our coach's head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.