Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post-June 1 designation
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I didn't know this. Apparently each team can release two players with a post-June 1 designation which they can do on March 10 and seems like it allows teams to lower cap space.

Hello Cooper haters!
Linc ...
nephillymike
detailed explanation

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

Basically, it does us little good in our ability to sign FA's this year as the cap relief comes after June 1st when most desirable FA's are long signed and all the money is spent.

But it can be helpful if we're really strapped and need to get room to sign rookies and an emergency free agents.
Zero
Because they have a tendency to retain cap money for posterity, in-season extensions or to piss off people from the Northeast, they could spend freely during FA knowing they'll be getting a sort of refund in June. Right?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 1 2015, 11:17 AM) *
Because they have a tendency to retain cap money for posterity, in-season extensions or to piss off people from the Northeast, they could spend freely during FA knowing they'll be getting a sort of refund in June. Right?

I guess they could.

Suppose the cap space freed up was $5M. They wouldn't have that $5M to spend during FA, thereby not appeasing the Northeast. However, they would get that $5M credit June 1st to put toward another CAP championship push, thereby annoying people in the Northeast.

The next year, they get the remainder of the charge against the cap, so it really frees up $5M of cap space from June 1, 2015 to March 10, 2016 (which is the approx start of next years cap year).

The Northeast remains annoyed. I can't speak for posterity. devil03.gif
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 1 2015, 12:10 PM) *
The Northeast remains annoyed. I can't speak for posterity. devil03.gif

Maybe I meant posterior. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.