Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chiptster #6
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Now we should be more concerned with his personnel abilities but it's interesting to see that some believe Chip is the coach that Jeffie thinks he is. This guy thinks he's behind only Belecheat, Carroll, J Harbaugh, Arians and Payton.
6. Chip Kelly
Career Record: 20-12 (.625)
With The Eagles Since: 2013
Last Year’s Ranking: 6

For Chip Kelly’s detractors — of which there are legion — 2014 was another brick in the wall of his ongoing exposure. “Forget a national title at Oregon — the guy who’s ‘revolutionizing football’ can’t even win the NFC East?” It’s simplistic pablum, the kind Billy Beane has stared down for years in baseball. You don’t have to dig deep to find Kelly’s impact. Let’s just ignore all the things happening outside of public view, like the way Kelly is changing everything from how the league practices to how it sleeps. Let’s focus on something really basic. In two years as an NFL head coach, Kelly has amassed 20 wins and a .625 winning percentage. He’s done so with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez making 81 percent of the starts at quarterback. That would be lead-footed Nick Foles and 56.3 percent career passer Mark Sanchez. The two most important physical traits for a Kelly quarterback are repetitive accuracy and fleet feet. Foles and Sanchez have neither, and yet here Kelly is, 2-for-2 in 10-win seasons. No, they don’t hang banners for 10-win campaigns, but two years in, Kelly’s plan remains right on schedule. Maybe Kelly will never win a title, but he’s already changed the game.
BirdsWinBaby
how on earth was Chipper able to amass all that winning with mediocre to bad QBs? musta been a genius. an NFL revolutionary for sure. i mean just look at all the wins against teams with winning records in those 2 seasons

2013 wins

Packers (Rodgers out for that game) - 8/7/1
Cardinals - 10/6

2014 wins

Colts - 11/5
Texans - 9/7
Cowboys - 12/4

5 games.....out of 20 wins? yea Chip just has to be a magician. im not killing Chip because most of the teams he played sucked ass. im just saying that if you are going to write an article about people unfairly criticizing Chip....dont try to hold up 20wins with Foles as a reason to crown Chip as a game changer. coaches all over the league pad their records with wins vs bad teams.
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Feb 28 2015, 12:20 PM) *
how on earth was Chipper able to amass all that winning with mediocre to bad QBs? musta been a genius. an NFL revolutionary for sure. i mean just look at all the wins against teams with winning records in those 2 seasons

2013 wins

Packers (Rodgers out for that game) - 8/7/1
Cardinals - 10/6

2014 wins

Colts - 11/5
Texans - 9/7
Cowboys - 12/4

5 games.....out of 20 wins? yea Chip just has to be a magician. im not killing Chip because most of the teams he played sucked ass. im just saying that if you are going to write an article about people unfairly criticizing Chip....dont try to hold up 20wins with Foles as a reason to crown Chip as a game changer. coaches all over the league pad their records with wins vs bad teams.

I heard that the winning percentage of the teams we played against (strength of schedule) over the two years was middle of the pack. Don't have time to look it up right now. But if that is the case, 20-12 with the first choice as QB being out for the majority of the games is nothing to sneeze at. I mean really. Vick went down, then Foles, the Foles again. 20-12 is pretty good with your first choice as QB,never mind what we've dealt with.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 28 2015, 02:09 PM) *
But if that is the case, 20-12 with the first choice as QB being out for the majority of the games is nothing to sneeze at. I mean really. Vick went down, then Foles, the Foles again. 20-12 is pretty good with your first choice as QB, never mind what we've dealt with.

Foles had the 3rd best passer rating season in NFL history last year. That's what The Genius had to deal with. Then he cut the best deep threat in the league for nothing in return, and drafted a stiff in the first round, with pretty shitty picks the rest of the way.

We were 9-3 this year, then they collapsed while we had to watch Fletcher continue to get trotted out there against the league's best receivers. 10-6.

Year after year I had to listen to people explain to me how Reid winning 10 games a year meant he should get a lifetime position and our eternal praise, despite how his glaring flaws showed us that he could never, ever win a championship having to go through 3-4 elite teams. This time I'm not waiting 9 years.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 28 2015, 09:22 AM) *
Now we should be more concerned with his personnel abilities but it's interesting to see that some believe Chip is the coach that Jeffie thinks he is. This guy thinks he's behind only Belecheat, Carroll, J Harbaugh, Arians and Payton.

laugh.gif

One look at 'Patrick Daugherty' and I know that his opinion on any sport outside of figure skating shouldn't be taken seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be mcnabbulous (Reid is #10, complete with a paragraph apologizing for his flaws).

I'd put Chip in the top 10, but my well-documented concerns about him are precisely the nonsense this guy is spewing - that he's 'revolutionizing' the game, a.k.a. being a genius. He's a great offensive mind, but you need a defense in this league, you can't cut guys because they have an attitude, and yes, fucking time of possession DOES matter, especially knowing how to close teams out late. And no, you aren't smarter than everyone else.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 28 2015, 02:09 PM) *
I heard that the winning percentage of the teams we played against (strength of schedule) over the two years was middle of the pack. Don't have time to look it up right now. But if that is the case, 20-12 with the first choice as QB being out for the majority of the games is nothing to sneeze at. I mean really. Vick went down, then Foles, the Foles again. 20-12 is pretty good with your first choice as QB,never mind what we've dealt with.

i agree that its been an average schedule. like i said coaches pad their records against bad teams because there are so many of them. everybody is doing it

so yea i wouldnt sneeze at beating up on bad teams....im not gonna gush over it either
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 28 2015, 03:00 PM) *
laugh.gif

One look at 'Patrick Daugherty' and I know that his opinion on any sport outside of figure skating shouldn't be taken seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be mcnabbulous (Reid is #10, complete with a paragraph apologizing for his flaws).

I'd put Chip in the top 10, but my well-documented concerns about him are precisely the nonsense this guy is spewing - that he's 'revolutionizing' the game, a.k.a. being a genius. He's a great offensive mind, but you need a defense in this league, you can't cut guys because they have an attitude, and yes, fucking time of possession DOES matter, especially knowing how to close teams out late. And no, you aren't smarter than everyone else.

I'm not a brainiac, but from what I've read Chip's done essentially the same thing with his offense that Seattle had done with their defense, he seems to have changed the way teams are looking at training and nutrition and people say he's having an impact on how teams approach practice and recovery. Not sure that qualifies anyone to use the term "genius" but then most people I read or listen to don't use that word. He's been here two years and he's accomplished more than most pundits thought he would in that period. If he doesn't address the defense this year I would say he is a one trick pony, the anti-Buddy maybe. Too soon to be a hater and too soon to buy tickets to his HOF induction too.
JeeQ
If Chip really is that man... and it looks like Jeff believes Chip really is that man... we have to get Mariota this season
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.