Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dream Team II?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Lots of reports about the Eagles clearing the cap to be players in FA. I'm sure some of this is in preparation for a Mariota mega trade that will dump all the Eagles draft picks. Even if the Year of Mariota doesn't happen it looks like we could be looking at Dream Team II in Philadelphia. I'm not real happy about that after Dream Team I but I guess there's a chance they could have learned from mistakes and make it work. sad.gif

If it is II, here's 10 for (March) 10 (10 days and counting):
Defense:
Maxwell, CB, SEA
Moore, S, DEN
(Branch, S, OAK)
Worilds, OLB, PIT
House, CB, GB
Lattimore, ILB, GB

Offense:
Wisniewski, C/G, OAK
Locker, QB, TEN
Hilliard, T, DET
Harris, WR, DAL
nephillymike
I find it funny that we have one bad year in Free Agency (dream team) and everyone is scared away.

We've had plenty of bad drafts over the years, yet people tackle the draft each year with the courage of Custer and the optimism of Dewey.

While it is more expensive, in free agency you get to see how the players have fared against NFL players and schemes and there is much less projection. From the standpoint of hit or miss, it is much more accurate. Sure the big signing bonuses can hurt if we miss on a FA, but normally that decline in play comes years into the contract when the guy has no guarantee money left and his cap hit actually results in a cap savings. Many of our best players have not been our draft picks:

J. Peters
E. Mathis
D Ryans
C. Barwin
D. Sproles
M. Jenkins

FA It ain't that hard. It requires financial commitment and a "go for it" attitude and a pro scouting dept that can see the obvious and unearth the not so obvious (ie that Nnamdi didn't want to play football anymore)

I say be extremely active in FA. Cut Sconces, and use his and other savings to go into FA to sure up the DB's and use the draft to select BPA at positions of need.

I would like to have us look into trading picks for players. I think that is an untapped market. All teams overvalue picks. Many teams value the cheap labor that picks provide over expensive solid starters. Take advantage of that IMO.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 28 2015, 02:27 PM) *
I find it funny that we have one bad year in Free Agency (dream team) and everyone is scared away.

Yeah we've actually been pretty good lately with our FA signings, especially when compared to our drafting.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 28 2015, 02:27 PM) *

"Bad" doesn't even begin to define the Dream Team. They took the Snyder Blueprint for Destruction and bought names, not players. They seemed to have no regard for how the names would mesh with existing players and THAT is something to be wary of.

BTW, I like the Dewey Custer imagery. jumpclap.gif
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 28 2015, 08:08 PM) *
"Bad" doesn't even begin to define the Dream Team. They took the Snyder Blueprint for Destruction and bought names, not players. They seemed to have no regard for how the names would mesh with existing players and THAT is something to be wary of.

I think the coaches they brought in had a greater (negative) impact than the players. Moving Castillo from O-Line coach to DC was a bad move. We had Todd Bowles replace JC when he got shit canned and then lost Bowles in the off season. Now he is the DC for a very good Cardinals defense. Washburn was a disaster, and reportedly showed no respect for players or coaching staff.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 28 2015, 08:08 PM) *

I thought you'd like that!
nephillymike
Here's my target list of free agents. The two numbers after indicate their ranking from NFL.com(101) and PFF.(75)

WR
D. Thomas DEN 4, 5
Cobb GB 8,11
Maclin PHI 17,28

CB
Maxwell SEA 13,20
Jackson HOU 27,16
Culliver SF 35,32
House GB 43,75
Cromartie ARI 48,39

S
McCourty NE 6,4
R. Moore DEN 36,38
R.Parker KC 98, N/A

OG
Iupati SF 11,21
D. Franklin DEN 34,18
Boling CIN 56,29

QB
Sanchez PHI 68, N/A
Vick NYJ 101, N/A

OLB
Houston KC 2,1
J. Hughes BUF 10,23
Worilds PIT 15,26
Graham PHI 23,10

Plan of action:
Re-sign Maclin
Sign 2 of the 5 CB's
Cut Sconces and take his money back to the cap to spend on these FA's
Sign one of the 5 OG's
Sign one of the 2 QB's
Sign one of the 4 OLB"s if we allow Cole to walk
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 28 2015, 08:23 PM) *
I think the coaches they brought in had a greater (negative) impact than the players. Moving Castillo from O-Line coach to DC was a bad move. We had Todd Bowles replace JC when he got shit canned and then lost Bowles in the off season. Now he is the DC for a very good Cardinals defense. Washburn was a disaster, and reportedly showed no respect for players or coaching staff.

Valid point, but Namdi and Babin were neither "team" and more ego. Young, Cromarti and Smith all were just bad additions despite their names.

BTW, I believe Bowles is now HC of the Jets. I liked his addition ... good coach bad situation.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 1 2015, 01:20 AM) *
Here's my target list of free agents.
Wouldn't you rather see them get Wisniewski over any of the guards ... assuming he'd be willing to play G and back up Kelce? No ILB as insurance for Ryans?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 1 2015, 06:42 AM) *
Wouldn't you rather see them get Wisniewski over any of the guards ... assuming he'd be willing to play G and back up Kelce? No ILB as insurance for Ryans?

The stuff I read said he wanted to be paid as the highest center in the game. I took it to mean he wasn't interested in OG.

ILB? I think we can use our 3rd or 4th round, plus another lower pick to address that need. Unless we're talking mid to low level FA, even I would think it unreasonable to expect the Eagles to address every need in FA in one year. Some concern over Ryans health, yes. But he and Kendricks are solid and we have three ILB coming back from injury so maybe the combo of those plus a 3rd can adequately staff the ILB spot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.