Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clear the cap
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
If the Eagles go for Goldson, Worilds and Maxwell, won't they need more $ than they have now? I realize there's hate for Williams, but adding proven players at OLB, CB and S would significantly improve the D and Williams was much better with B'more where he had better players around him. Unfortunately, adding Worilds may be the end of Cole unless he takes a pay cut and moves into Graham's situational role.

Doing that only leaves a potential need for ILB depending on Ryans health. The Eagles could focus on BPA or trade picks to move up for a targeted player ... I still don't think they block buster for Mariota because of the cost. Has Kelly ever said he wants to make a move for Mariota? Foles can run the offense, and Hundley may not be that far behind Mariota and should be there when the Eagles pick at 20 or maybe even in the second round. The draft is then what it should be, for adding depth and future starters/stars, not for immediate need.
samaroo
I understand what the words mean that you're saying, but I don't have any context for them in my life as an Eagles fan. So I am confused.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 21 2015, 06:53 AM) *
If the Eagles go for Goldson, Worilds and Maxwell, won't they need more $ than they have now? I realize there's hate for Williams, but adding proven players at OLB, CB and S would significantly improve the D and Williams was much better with B'more where he had better players around him. Unfortunately, adding Worilds may be the end of Cole unless he takes a pay cut and moves into Graham's situational role.

Doing that only leaves a potential need for ILB depending on Ryans health. The Eagles could focus on BPA or trade picks to move up for a targeted player ... I still don't think they block buster for Mariota because of the cost. Has Kelly ever said he wants to make a move for Mariota? Foles can run the offense, and Hundley may not be that far behind Mariota and should be there when the Eagles pick at 20 or maybe even in the second round. The draft is then what it should be, for adding depth and future starters/stars, not for immediate need.

I'll give you the Cliff Note version.

No.

We're fine. We just got $4M of cap room with Casey. We can buy anybody we want to. It's just a matter of how much they want to.

BTW, I don't understand you and others being OK with Williams at CB. He's $8M of cap and he's not starter quality. If we had someone decent on the other side, they would have picked on him non stop and his only answer would be as it always has been: pass interference, or illegal contact, or some other more creative penalty.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 23 2015, 10:14 AM) *
BTW, I don't understand you and others being OK with Williams at CB. He's $8M of cap and he's not starter quality. If we had someone decent on the other side, they would have picked on him non stop and his only answer would be as it always has been: pass interference, or illegal contact, or some other more creative penalty.

I don't think it's a case of being OK with him, but he's the best we have. If we had a CB on the other side who could hold his own most of the time, and 2 NFL starting-caliber safeties, we could shade a S to Williams' side to cover for him. Which would be an upgrade over our current situation.
Eyrie
QUOTE (samaroo @ Feb 23 2015, 02:41 AM) *
I don't think it's a case of being OK with him, but he's the best we have. If we had a CB on the other side who could hold his own most of the time, and 2 NFL starting-caliber safeties, we could shade a S to Williams' side to cover for him. Which would be an upgrade over our current situation.

At $8m I'd rather cut him and fill in with a low price FA*. Neither of our 2014 starting CBs were good enough, but at least Fletcher tried hard.

*I expect Mikey to spontaneously combust at the thought of saving more cap.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 23 2015, 02:19 PM) *
At $8m I'd rather cut him and fill in with a low price FA*. Neither of our 2014 starting CBs were good enough, but at least Fletcher tried hard.

I'd rather cut Sconces, save the cap and build the cap stash to 25% levels than to have him on my team.

That's how much I want him gone.

Now, of course, the best idea is to cut him and spend his money on an upgrade. That should not be hard to do.
samaroo
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 24 2015, 04:19 AM) *

I get it, and I agree. But if it's a choice between Williams/new CB/new S/other POS or new CB/new CB/new S then I'd rather have the former. That's all I'm saying.

Ha!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.