Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rumor: Eagles To Trade 4 Draft Picks To Jets For Mariota
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
Rumors are floating around that the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Jets could potentially engage in a blockbuster draft day trade. According to the New York Daily News, if the Eagles are willing to trade both their 2015 and 2016 first-and-second-round picks to the Jets for their No. 6 pick it would be a “win-win” for both teams. By the time the No. 6 pick rolls around and the Jets are on the clock and Mariota is still available the Jets are in a position to pull off a huge trade.

More At The Link
JeeQ
As for my thoughts on the trade...

I take it in a heartbeat...

When I think how our 1st round pick was the great Marcus Smith with his grand total of 0 tackles this season the price doesn't seem steep at all. Especially if Mariota truly is Chip's franchise QB
nephillymike
In case you missed it in the other thread: (revised to remove Foles)

As far as trade value, that would be in their favor:

#20 = 850
#52 = 380
Subtotal = 1230
Assume our 1st and 2nd round picks in 2016 would be the same = 1230

Total given up = 2460
Pt. Value of #6 pick = 1600

Premium = 860 pts which is equal to the value of our 20th this year.

So basically it is saying that we would be giving an extra 20th pick

Too high. Two firsts and two thirds would be more reasonable and would still give them a 440 point premium in the deal which is the equivilant of a mid 2nd round pick.
Dreagon
Hmmm...that's actually a plausible scenario. It's costly, but not RGIII/Dan Snyder costly.

The thing is, if you guys do go this route, then that would have some pretty interesting implications.

Mariota did not run a college pro-style offense, but a Chip Kelly offense. If Lurie is willing to allow Kelly to invest that much in such a specific skillset, then it would mean he's probably decided to throw his lot in with Kelly for the next four or five years.
JeeQ
The problem is we played our hand already... Is there any team in the world who doesn't know Chip is desperate for Mariota? He broke league rules just to praise him... he said the kid could be a future president if he wanted to

Plus let's say our 1st round pick at 20 this season turns into another Marcus Smith...

Now we're stuck with back to back years of busted picks and we spend the next few seasons praying another Mariota type player comes around that perfectly fits Chip's system while we play a game of QB carousel to rival the Cleveland Browns. No matter how you may feel about them every team in the NFC:East has a franchise QB but us. If Chip is the coach we believe in no price is too high for his QB
Eyrie
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Feb 21 2015, 06:11 AM) *
The problem is we played our hand already... Is there any team in the world who doesn't know Chip is desperate for Mariota? He broke league rules just to praise him... he said the kid could be a future president if he wanted to

Plus let's say our 1st round pick at 20 this season turns into another Marcus Smith...

Now we're stuck with back to back years of busted picks and we spend the next few seasons praying another Mariota type player comes around that perfectly fits Chip's system while we play a game of QB carousel to rival the Cleveland Browns. No matter how you may feel about them every team in the NFC:East has a franchise QB but us. If Chip is the coach we believe in no price is too high for his QB

Alternatively, if Kelly is the coach that we believe in then he can make his system work with another QB. If he can't and needs Mariota for it to work, then he's not that good a coach and it was the QB who made the difference.
Zero
I can't see Mariota being there (anywhere) for the Eagles. Too many teams need QBs and his skill set is too tempting. Every coach and every GM is knows they can make him successful in their system rolleyes.gif . As is said over and over again in here, franchise QBs are hard to find in the draft and if you don't have one you're always at the back of the line. The only possibility would be a team that thinks a player like Hundley would turn out better for them than Mariota ... rob the Eagles of picks and use one of them to draft Hundley (or whoever).
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 21 2015, 06:18 AM) *
I can't see Mariota being there (anywhere) for the Eagles. Too many teams need QBs and his skill set is too tempting. Every coach and every GM is knows they can make him successful in their system rolleyes.gif . As is said over and over again in here, franchise QBs are hard to find in the draft and if you don't have one you're always at the back of the line. The only possibility would be a team that thinks a player like Hundley would turn out better for them than Mariota ... rob the Eagles of picks and use one of them to draft Hundley (or whoever).

I don't think that other teams will want Hundley.

However, some teams could want Foles and ask to include him as a "throw in" and take our picks when all along they wanted Foles.

That is not out of the question IMO
Birdman420
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 21 2015, 05:40 AM) *
Alternatively, if Kelly is the coach that we believe in then he can make his system work with another QB. If he can't and needs Mariota for it to work, then he's not that good a coach and it was the QB who made the difference.

maybe he's that good of a coach that he even made foles look good?

i think every SB winning team has had a marriage of sorts between it's head coach and QB and their teams would not have won otherwise.

We need a real franchise QB, the last time we had one we made it to the superbowl.
Dreagon
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Feb 21 2015, 12:11 AM) *
...and we spend the next few seasons praying another Mariota type player comes around that perfectly fits Chip's system while we play a game of QB carousel to rival the Cleveland Browns. No matter how you may feel about them every team in the NFC:East has a franchise QB but us. If Chip is the coach we believe in no price is too high for his QB

I disagree.

First of all, Foles stands head and shoulders above anybody that Cleveland has.

And I don't consider RGIII a franchise QB. There was a time he had a chance to be, but so far he has never really come back from that rookie injury or got his head on straight. Honestly, unless something changes dramatically, I think he's one year away from being declared a total bust.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 21 2015, 04:40 AM) *

The system will generate wins and put up points. Having a quality (pro bowl caliber) QB is the 'x factor' that can help lift a winning team to championship heights.

i think every SB winning team has had a marriage of sorts between it's head coach and QB and their teams would not have won otherwise.

Bingo!
Phits
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Feb 21 2015, 03:53 PM) *
First of all, Foles stands head and shoulders above anybody that Cleveland has.

The 2013 version of Foles, yes. The most recent version, not so much.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Feb 21 2015, 07:22 PM) *
maybe he's that good of a coach that he even made foles look good?

We need a real franchise QB, the last time we had one we made it to the superbowl.

In which case Reid must have been a super-genius because of the success he had with Feeley and Kolb. Does make me wonder what Kelly would have done with McNabb though.

QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 21 2015, 10:01 PM) *
The system will generate wins and put up points. Having a quality (pro bowl caliber) QB is the 'x factor' that can help lift a winning team to championship heights.

No-one would disagree with that, but having that elite QB is irrelevant when our secondary makes a colander look watertight.
Zero
Again, if our defense had been able to stop other teams with average efficiency the Eagles would likely have won the division and gone to the NFCCG. I understand "bulls and tits" but the fact remains that our secondary was the paramount reason for the team's demise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.