Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How would the Eagles get Mariota?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Not much debate that Chipper covets Marcus. But, how to get him? Generally conservative minded, I'd be in favor of keeping Foles as sort of an insurance policy. That said, there's been chatter about trading him. If that's how it falls, what's his worth and who would be interested?

In the top 10 picks it looks like the Bucs, Titans, Jets are in play for a QB. Maybe both the Bears and Rams depending on what they do with Cutler and Bradford respectively. Both Mariota and Winston have questions attached to them and aren't sure fire picks for those teams ... I don't think any of the top QB need teams run the kind of offense Mariota is comfortable in and Winston has off-field issues. I'm presuming that teams drafting in the top five have more than QB issues they need to resolve. QBs like Hundley, Grayson and Petty will be available later on and could be developmental players. What QBs will be there in 2016?

The Bucs, Titans and Jets have plenty of cap space to be active in FA, the Rams not so much. In fact, the Rams are over the cap. Also, cutting Bradford would save the Rams about $13 mil. Would Foles be attractive to any of these teams? What would his value be? If the Eagles can get to #10 by trading Foles, what would they need to jump ahead of the Jets, say to #4 Raiders?
1. Tampa Bay
2. Tennessee
3. Jacksonville
4. Oakland
5. Washington
6. New York Jets
7. Chicago
8. Atlanta
9. New York Giants
10. St. Louis
11. Minnesota
12. Cleveland
13. New Orleans
14. Miami
15. San Francisco
16. Houston
17. San Diego
18. Kansas City
19. Cleveland - from Buffalo
20. Philadelphia
nephillymike
Well, here's the trade value chart as a guide. These things always require a premium over "chart Value" when you are talking moving up to the top echelons. I think the RG3 deal, instead of setting the market, will act as a drag on the market.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Ch...RequestTeam=phi

What value to assign to Foles? I say he's somewhere between a high three and a high two, which translates to a trade point range of 250-500.

So to get up from #20 to #10, we need 450 points. 450 points is the 45th pick of the draft (13th pick of the 2nd round). I would think Foles could be worth that. But if not thought to be, we may have to add a 4th to sweenten it, worst case scenario.

Now to get from #10 to #4, we need 500 points. If we're good, our next year's 1st should be 600 to 700 points so that should get it done.

If we have to get to #3, add another 400 points on top of that. Add a 2nd and 4th in the pot to go up from #4 to #3.
===============================================================
So cheapest for us to get from #20 to #4 is our #20, Foles, plus next year's first.
More expensive is #20, Foles, 4th round pick, next year's first, plus maybe a sweetener if market dictates.

Cheapest from #20 to #3 = #20, Foles, another 1st, 2nd and 4th.
Most expensive is #20, Foles, another 1st, 2nd, two 4ths and maybe a sweetener.

Going to #4 is much more appealing than #3, IMO. But you need to get high enough so nobody else jumps in front of you. Can't go to #5 b/c Wash won't trade with us and they SHOULD be looking for a QB.

That's why we need Mariota to have a bad pro day and maybe forgo the combine b/c of shoulder issues!!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 15 2015, 01:28 PM) *
That's why we need Mariota to have a bad pro day and maybe forgo the combine b/c of shoulder issues!!

I wonder how much he wants to be reunited with Kelly. You don't think he'd intentionally .... biggrin.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 15 2015, 01:38 PM) *
I wonder how much he wants to be reunited with Kelly. You don't think he'd intentionally .... biggrin.gif

There was talk of K Benjamin running slow on purpose to drop to CAR last year. Not sure how true that is.
JeeQ
You go for the dream scenario...

You trade Foles + Shady to move up in the draft

Land Mariota, sign Adrian Beatherson, and prepare for the Super Bowl parade
JeeQ
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 15 2015, 10:43 AM) *
There was talk of K Benjamin running slow on purpose to drop to CAR last year. Not sure how true that is.

Nothing beats Eli straight up going fuck that team, I'm a damn Manning, I'm royalty, publicly refuse to play for the team that drafted him and getting immediately traded to a better team laugh.gif
samaroo
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Feb 20 2015, 12:19 PM) *
Nothing beats Eli straight up going fuck that team, I'm a damn Manning, I'm royalty, publicly refuse to play for the team that drafted him and getting immediately traded to a better team laugh.gif

Elway did the same thing. And The Boz tried to.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Feb 19 2015, 10:19 PM) *

Technically, the Chargers got the much better end of that deal - Rivers, and 2 picks which became Merriman and Kaeding. Of course, SD is without a ring still.....
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 20 2015, 09:01 AM) *
Technically, the Chargers got the much better end of that deal - Rivers, and 2 picks which became Merriman and Kaeding. Of course, SD is without a ring still.....

Kaeding no longer plays in the league and is a San Diego legend as far as choking in the playoff goes missing nearly half his kicks in the playoffs. Merriman also no longer plays in the league and is busy beating up Tila Tequila

Meanwhile Sheli is polishing his two Super Bowl rings he won by beating the self-proclaimed Greatest QB Of All-Time Tom Brady...

I think the Giants won that deal
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Feb 20 2015, 12:55 PM) *
Kaeding no longer plays in the league and is a San Diego legend as far as choking in the playoff goes missing nearly half his kicks in the playoffs. Merriman also no longer plays in the league and is busy beating up Tila Tequila

Meanwhile Sheli is polishing his two Super Bowl rings he won by beating the self-proclaimed Greatest QB Of All-Time Tom Brady...

I think the Giants won that deal

Re-read my comment and get back to me.
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 20 2015, 10:31 AM) *
Re-read my comment and get back to me.

I can only get this far before I disagree:

Technically, the Chargers got the much better end of that deal...

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Feb 20 2015, 03:57 PM) *
I can only get this far before I disagree:

On what planet is a HoF worthy QB, a multiple Pro-Bowl LB, and a multiple Pro-Bowl kicker in exchange for Eli fucking Manning anything other than highway robbery? As I said, technically.

As I say later, Eli is still the one with the rings. But no GM ever would turn down that deal from SD's point of view.
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 20 2015, 01:13 PM) *
On what planet is a HoF worthy QB, a multiple Pro-Bowl LB, and a multiple Pro-Bowl kicker in exchange for Eli fucking Manning anything other than highway robbery? As I said, technically.

As I say later, Eli is still the one with the rings. But no GM ever would turn down that deal from SD's point of view.

Technically 2 Rings >>> Everything

We're talking about a Manning here, royalty, anything is worth it to get a Manning on your team. We're about to trade even more than that for Mariota. Clearly the Giants knew what they were doing with that trade as Eli Manning is still the most clutch postseason QB in NFL history
Zero
How many SB rings would Eli have without the defense he had?
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 20 2015, 06:32 PM) *
How many SB rings would Eli have without the defense he had?

That's hard to say....
How many rings would they have had without Coughlin as their HC? or Spags as their DC? or if Barber had NOT retired?

Winning the SB is akin to the perfect storm. You board up your windows and protect your assets the best you can, but still have to hope for the best.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 20 2015, 07:28 PM) *
That's hard to say....
How many rings would they have had without Coughlin as their HC? or Spags as their DC? or if Barber had NOT retired?

Winning the SB is akin to the perfect storm. You board up your windows and protect your assets the best you can, but still have to hope for the best.

Yes. Point I was making is, no GM in the history of organized sports would've turned down that deal from the Chargers point of view, knowing the skill of each player involved. How they ended up performing during postseason runs is another story.
samaroo
I would've taken that trade based purely on the fact that Eli looks like he has intimate knowledge of the taste of windows.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.