Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just for chuckles, woulda coulda shoulda post
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Sure, teams may have played us differently if this had been the case but this is just for the fun of it and to take a glimpse at how we would perceive the team ... IF:

Eagles 34, Jaguars 17 1-0
Eagles 30, Colts 27 2-0
Eagles 37, Redskins 34 3-0
49ers 26, Eagles 21 4-0 - Woulda
Eagles 34, Rams 28 5-0
Eagles 27, Giants 0 6-0
BYE
Cardinals 24, Eagles 20 7-0 - Coulda
Eagles 31, Texans 21 8-0
Eagles 45, Panthers 21 9-0
Packers 53, Eagles 20 9-1
Eagles 43, Titans 24 10-1
Eagles 33, Cowboys 10 11-1
Seahawks 24, Eagles 14 11-2
Cowboys 38, Eagles 27 11-3
Redskins 27, Eagles 24 12-3 - Shoulda
Eagles 34, Giants 26 13-3

The 9ers were in turmoil and I think it's perfectly reasonable to project that the Eagles woulda won that game had their OL been healthy. Next, a bit more of a stretch considering the Eagles secondary, but it's still reasonable to think that the Eagles coulda beat the Cardinals if only Williams or Fletcher could tackle ... forget cover. And I don't think anyone will disagree that they shoulda beat the Redskins. That's three games that completely change the season picture and the perception of the team going into 2015.

13-3 would have given the Eagles not only the East but the top seed going into the playoffs. If we're cynical or realistic, depending on how we view the team, they likely would have beaten the Panthers then lost to Green Bay or Seattle at home in the Championship game. This would have given them a playoff win and one game from THE game.

This, with bad play from Foles and what many people expected from Sanchez. A healthier team, even with a porous secondary and bad QB play may have taken them to the Championship game.

IF this had been the Eagles season, how would you feel about the team now?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 1 2015, 09:58 AM) *
IF this had been the Eagles season, how would you feel about the team now?

If 'woulda, coulda, shoulda' mattered, we'd have a case full of Lombardi trophies and would be playing the Browns tonight.

Elite teams win close games - they do this by finishing off beaten opponents late, limiting turnovers and penalties, adjusting to poor match-ups, managing the clock well, and having a solid gameplan. Often we did none of those things, but had enough talent on offense to outscore mediocre to poor teams. We're simply not an elite team, fantasizing about how we would feel about being 13-3 is like a Jaguars fan doing the same.

Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 1 2015, 12:07 PM) *
If 'woulda, coulda, shoulda' mattered, we'd have a case full of Lombardi trophies and would be playing the Browns tonight.

Elite teams win close games - they do this by finishing off beaten opponents late, limiting turnovers and penalties, adjusting to poor match-ups, managing the clock well, and having a solid gameplan. Often we did none of those things, but had enough talent on offense to outscore mediocre to poor teams. We're simply not an elite team, fantasizing about how we would feel about being 13-3 is like a Jaguars fan doing the same.

Good answer. Oops, you didn't answer. It's not a fantasy thing, it was a discussion thing.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 1 2015, 12:34 PM) *
Good answer. Oops, you didn't answer. It's not a fantasy thing, it was a discussion thing.

laugh.gif

I know, I'm just saying I can't realistically answer because it isn't a situation grounded in reality. If we were 13-3, and got the top seed, I'd feel great! But would we be playing tonight? Would we have gotten bounced out after the bye? Beaten Seattle/GB at home? Who knows.
nephillymike
I'd feel a hell of a lot better than I do now!!

I tried to put this season in perspective this way. I mentioned this to some Cowboys fans at work and they didn't have any comeback.

Dallas 12-4
Us 10-6

They played at CHI and home vs. NO and went 2-0 in those games
We played at GB and home vs CAR and went 1-1.

Swap those two peices of the schedule, which represent the only two different games, and they lose one more and we win one more. We'd both be 11-5 and we'd be in the playoffs and them out.

Also, DAL had 10 days to prepare for us AFTER we played SEA. Swap that situation and we beat them twice.

All in all, for as much as I bitched this year, 10-6 with going to our backup QB with DB's who couldn't cover anyone is not too bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.