Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When/how should the Eagles invest in the OL?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I think the odds are against the Eagles getting Mariota. Foles played very well when his OL was together and doing well and not so good when there was inconsistency and turnover on the line. In either case, a rookie would need the security of protection and Foles has already shown us that he is very good with protection and ugh without.

It may be that the current 5 starting OL could be good for another year or two. Herremans, Mathis and Peters are getting along in age though, and will be more susceptible to injury and may even show rapid decline. They need viable backups at least but there should be immediate moves to get the starters of the future to play with Kelce and Johnson.

The needs in the secondary are primary and I think the OL comes next. How should the team address the OL?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 31 2015, 08:13 AM) *
The needs in the secondary are primary and I think the OL comes next. How should the team address the OL?

Every single draft class has a bunch of OL gems that can be picked up in middle to later rounds, for those who do their homework. This year should be no different, but I wouldn't want them to pick one up earlier than the 5th round, too many other immediate needs.
Birdman420
I think putting a journeyman behind our vet line is a good idea but like house said, we have other needs and our line healthy is one of the best you can have. Spending early round picks on shoring this up would be somewhat of a waste at this juncture.

Given their age and injuries, Peters/Mathis/Herremans haven't missed a beat and Lane was everything we hoped he would be.
nephillymike
I wish I could share your evaluation of Foles play.

I have never seen worse mechanics for an NFL QB than he exhibited this year. Those didn't change at all at any point this year.

I would think that would be not impossible to fix, but they didn't improve.

I would love for Foles to be the guy. But when a guy like Sanchez plays better than him it makes me wonder.

Not sure what to do. Not sure how much the running ability of a QB is needed. The NFL, it's about how QB throw from the pocket. Always has been, always will, unless they widen the field.

Foles can make all the throws if he is right mechanically. As of now Mariota can't. Sanchez can't.

Are we all incorrect in assuming that Barkley is out of play? Chip's always praised him. Have we ever heard that he's sucked at practice? It would be a surprise to see him go without a critical word from the coach, no?

Maybe we take Foles career in totality and use that as a guide. If he performs to that level, we have a top ten QB. If he plays like last year, he's bottom five.

Tough decision.

As far as the OL goes, I think our depth was exposed as sub par this year. Guys like Tobin, Kelly, Molk, Barbre, Andrews, Gardner and Graf weren't worth it. I thought we'd do much better with the backups than we did. I would sign a backup OL in FA and use two of our lower picks on OL.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 31 2015, 04:22 PM) *
But when a guy like Sanchez plays better than him it makes me wonder.

He didn't.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 31 2015, 06:21 PM) *
He didn't.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2014.htm

I think he did.

Not by a lot, but when you consider the OL played like shit in pass protection and he played slightly better defenses than Foles, and that he was new to the system, it's safe to say Sanchez played better than Foles did this year. Sanchez got rid of the ball faster than Foles and yet the OL let the rush come in way too many times. Not that they were great for Foles either, but they were bad for Sanchez. Folks used the disbanded OL as a crutch for Foles, but from a pass rush perspective, he had better protection.

Now, Foles upside is higher, and he is cheaper so I would lean towards him. In 2013, He played at a much higher level than Sanchez ever did or ever will.

But based on this year alone, Sanchez played better. Not great but better.

Question is, did Sanchez play well enough to be comfortable with him as a #2? I am not a huge fan, but I think he did. He conducted himself well also IMO with the press etc.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 31 2015, 07:35 PM) *
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2014.htm
Question is, did Sanchez play well enough to be comfortable with him as a #2? I am not a huge fan, but I think he did. He conducted himself well also IMO with the press etc.

i think the question is.....does Sanchez believe he played well enough that some other team will be comfortable with him as the #1?

league is really short on QBs....even so, Sanchez wont likely get on a team as the starter, but he will be looking for a team that gives him the best chance to supplant the starter

here he is just a backup, he will want to be a backup with a shot at starting
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 31 2015, 08:03 PM) *
i think the question is.....does Sanchez believe he played well enough that some other team will be comfortable with him as the #1?

league is really short on QBs....even so, Sanchez wont likely get on a team as the starter, but he will be looking for a team that gives him the best chance to supplant the starter

here he is just a backup, he will want to be a backup with a shot at starting

Devils advocate here. 2 assumptions

1. Nobody will see Sanchez as a starter. So he will be looking for #2 with a chance to move to #1.

2. Assume we don't get Mariota and Foles is the incumbant.

What other backup opportunities will be better for him to achieve that goal than here where he will be backing up a thrice injured QB who is on a one year contract, and compared to he had played at least to his level of competence the year before in a system that he is familiar with?

From his selfish view, I think we're a top three destination for Sanchez in 2015. If we're interested, that is.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 31 2015, 08:24 PM) *
Devils advocate here. 2 assumptions

1. Nobody will see Sanchez as a starter. So he will be looking for #2 with a chance to move to #1.

2. Assume we don't get Mariota and Foles is the incumbant.

What other backup opportunities will be better for him to achieve that goal than here where he will be backing up a thrice injured QB who is on a one year contract, and compared to he had played at least to his level of competence the year before in a system that he is familiar with?

From his selfish view, I think we're a top three destination for Sanchez in 2015. If we're interested, that is.

the only reason i have that sanchez might return......is because the FO, after given many chances to do so, did not commit to Foles publicly. if he is your guy you never stop saying how great he is or will be...i found that to be...curious

if Sanchez hears anything implying an open competition at TC? he might come back. if at any point Chip (woomp, woomp, wahhhh) doesnt get Mariota, and says anything close to 'Mark and Nick both played very well and i dont know who my starter is going into TC'. then Sanchez might stick around. if he hears anything close to "Nick is our starter"? he is out
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 31 2015, 09:25 PM) *
the only reason i have that sanchez might return......is because the FO, after given many chances to do so, did not commit to Foles publicly. if he is your guy you never stop saying how great he is or will be...i found that to be...curious

if Sanchez hears anything implying an open competition at TC? he might come back. if at any point Chip (woomp, woomp, wahhhh) doesnt get Mariota, and says anything close to 'Mark and Nick both played very well and i dont know who my starter is going into TC'. then Sanchez might stick around. if he hears anything close to "Nick is our starter"? he is out

Do you think Foles has played well enough to be named the starter now, even though the draft and FA aren't here?
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 31 2015, 09:52 PM) *
Do you think Foles has played well enough to be named the starter now, even though the draft and FA aren't here?
I think it would be more about a starter losing his spot as result of injury. Unless he's traded, Foles has to be the starter going into TC.
Eyrie
Sanchez best bet to start in 2015 is in the Pederson role of filling in whilst a rookie QB gets used to the NFL before getting the last half dozen games.

His next best chance is to reflect on 2014 and the likelihood of Foles getting injured, whilst being mindful that Foles will not be here in 2016 if he doesn't improve. That would offer Sanchez the same scenario as above but a year later.

I'd be comfortable with open competition between Foles and Sanchez, with a mid round pick to replace Barkley.

On the original question, I remain in favour of a mid round pick on a G this season for depth and then to replace Herremans next year. In 2016 we do the same for Mathis and Peters with one in the draft and one in FA. This may involve moving Johnson and taking a RT.
Zero
I read the question somewhere (forget where ac6.gif ), but is Barkley truly out of the picture? The point was that Chip doesn't seem to back off of his honest evaluation of players (except maybe his CBs) as evidenced by his comments on Smith II but he hasn't made a peep about Barkley.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 1 2015, 07:03 AM) *
I read the question somewhere (forget where ac6.gif ), but is Barkley truly out of the picture?

Barkley is a waste of a roster spot. I'd expect us to draft a 3rd-4th round QB to replace him, or at least I hope - barring the 'Mortgage for Mariota' nightmare scenario of course.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 1 2015, 11:20 AM) *
Barkley is a waste of a roster spot. I'd expect us to draft a 3rd-4th round QB to replace him, or at least I hope - barring the 'Mortgage for Mariota' nightmare scenario of course.

Why do you say that?

What have you heard said by Chip or people watching TC or practice that says he sucks?

It's an honest question b/c I don't know. Other than the effusive praise Chip heaped upon Barkley after his first season, I haven't heard anything. I heard Barkley say his arm is much stronger year 2 than year 1, but other than that, nothing.

There was not one draft board two years ago that had Barkley going anywhere lower than a top half pick of the 2nd round. So the first pick of the 4th round was good value by anyone's expectations at that time.

What have you heard?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 1 2015, 12:10 PM) *
Why do you say that?

What have you heard said by Chip or people watching TC or practice that says he sucks?

It's an honest question b/c I don't know. Other than the effusive praise Chip heaped upon Barkley after his first season, I haven't heard anything. I heard Barkley say his arm is much stronger year 2 than year 1, but other than that, nothing.

There was not one draft board two years ago that had Barkley going anywhere lower than a top half pick of the 2nd round. So the first pick of the 4th round was good value by anyone's expectations at that time.

What have you heard?

I watched him play, we all have. He isn't an NFL quarterback, end of story. Draft board projections?!?!? Lolz. QB more than anything else is a crap shoot in the draft, because of the fact that it's the most important position in football - and now you're facing NFL defenses. We swung and missed - get someone new.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 1 2015, 12:47 PM) *
I watched him play, we all have. He isn't an NFL quarterback, end of story. Draft board projections?!?!? Lolz. QB more than anything else is a crap shoot in the draft, because of the fact that it's the most important position in football - and now you're facing NFL defenses. We swung and missed - get someone new.

Well, he was horrible those two and a half games he played during his rookie season.

But even after that, Chip gave him a bunch of praise late in the year.

I think soe HOF QB's would be kicked out if they used just 2.5 games to judge their skill.

Just sayin'.

We'll see.

Maybe he can't do the run option fake and he is a goner. I'm not joking on this. That could be cause for exit.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 1 2015, 12:56 PM) *
I think soe HOF QB's would be kicked out if they used just 2.5 games to judge their skill.

No doubt, but he looked so unbelievably terrible that I just can't imagine him ever even being a serviceable backup. I would say the same thing about Johnny Manziel to be honest. It's one thing to have a couple shitty games, to have a shitty year, to be in a system that doesn't work for you. It's quite another to look like you don't belong on the field.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.