Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LeSean McCoy wants to talk to Eagles, but not about pay cut
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Sounds like he wants to be trade bait. I wonder what his market value is?

Via Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, McCoy said he’s happy to restructure his contract, so long as it doesn’t mean a cut in pay.

“I know how hard it is to keep a team together and I want to be part of this team. But I don’t want to take less money,” McCoy said.

LINK
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 30 2015, 08:39 PM) *
Sounds like he wants to be trade bait. I wonder what his market value is?

LINK

when i saw this i was gonna ask how is this gonna work out....only cuz im not a contract expert

i have seen before many high profile athletes (lol..QBs) with mega contracts restructure so that the team could move money around and keep other players on the team

but doesnt that always involve the mega-contract guy accepting less money in that particular year as its moved around (maybe in future years) so they can sign the players around him?

RBs want their money cuz they dont last as long as QBs and dont have the clout to go from team to team demanding top tier money (ehhh...sorry shady but our guy is ok most of time for a fraction of your money. thx)

if shady wants all his money and is only guaranteed a mill this year...how can they 'restructure' so he still gets it all? can they move the other 9mil to other years as more guaranteed? so even if i get traded the Eagles still owe me 'X'? will he be ok with that?

hows it work?
nephillymike
McCoy shouldn't agree to a pay cut and frankly, we don't need to restructure his deal.

We have plenty of cap room and won't likely spend near it all.

BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 30 2015, 09:39 PM) *
McCoy shouldn't agree to a pay cut and frankly, we don't need to restructure his deal.

Maclin/Shady means you devote 20m to just those positions....at a time when you arent good enough in several spots. better teams burn that much cash for those two if they put you over the top cuz the team is so awesome. we are not

JMac will demand way more than he is worth from the birds cuz they know Foles will need that (lol@Coop on the other side). RBs are easier to find. Shady is one of the most productive...but so are lots of RBs that cost less

doesnt jive with the "get Mariota" or "draft for defense" mindsets
Eyrie
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 31 2015, 02:39 AM) *
when i saw this i was gonna ask how is this gonna work out....only cuz im not a contract expert

i have seen before many high profile athletes (lol..QBs) with mega contracts restructure so that the team could move money around and keep other players on the team

but doesnt that always involve the mega-contract guy accepting less money in that particular year as its moved around (maybe in future years) so they can sign the players around him?

RBs want their money cuz they dont last as long as QBs and dont have the clout to go from team to team demanding top tier money (ehhh...sorry shady but our guy is ok most of time for a fraction of your money. thx)

if shady wants all his money and is only guaranteed a mill this year...how can they 'restructure' so he still gets it all? can they move the other 9mil to other years as more guaranteed? so even if i get traded the Eagles still owe me 'X'? will he be ok with that?

hows it work?

I think this is the key bit from the article

McCoy is scheduled to make $9.75 million this year, but carries a cap charge of nearly $12 million

I think McCoy has two years left on his current deal, so at the moment has no guaranteed money due to him. If he can change that to a singing bonus payable now and lower salaries this year and next then his total cash remains the same but he gets it earlier and the cap cost for the Eagles will be lower this year as the signing bonus is pro ratad over the remaining two years of his deal.

I'm not sure that makes much sense if he only has two years left as the cap cost is only moved from this year to next, so I could be wrong and he could have three years left.

As Mikey says though, we have plenty of cap room without restructuring so there is nothing in it for the Eagles.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 31 2015, 05:29 AM) *
As Mikey says though, we have plenty of cap room without restructuring so there is nothing in it for the Eagles.
Unless Mikey's recurring point about the Eagles saving money every year is in play. I'm not good with trade values, but does McCoy have enough value to another team that would help the Chipster get his Mariota toy? Is he worth a #1? If yes then the Eagles could unload his contract and have currency to move up for Mariota and potentially lower their payroll. No?
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 31 2015, 06:12 AM) *
Unless Mikey's recurring point about the Eagles saving money every year is in play. I'm not good with trade values, but does McCoy have enough value to another team that would help the Chipster get his Mariota toy? Is he worth a #1? If yes then the Eagles could unload his contract and have currency to move up for Mariota and potentially lower their payroll. No?

its possible that a team would trade for McCoy but unlikely and almost definitely not giving up a high #1 pick. Shady is gonna get $10m next year which is high for a RB and that kind of price tag isnt required for top production at that position.

of the 12 playoff teams this year only the Seahawks' RB (Lynch) has a cap number above $5m, and his isnt $10m....most of the other playoff teams' RB cap hits are under $2m.

the problem the birds have in keeping shady is that we have lots of needs and thats too much to pay into that position. and we are a good team. teams with high picks are bad teams with a lot more needs and they see teams like the Ravens pay the veteran minimum to Forsett and get almost better numbers than Shady (who got a lot more carries)
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 30 2015, 09:39 PM) *

We should get together and chat about the Eagles at a bar - and take a shot each time you mention the word 'cap.' Bring a DD.
Birdman420
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 31 2015, 11:21 AM) *
We should get together and chat about the Eagles at a bar - and take a shot each time you mention the word 'cap.' Bring a DD.

Now that's an idea, why is it that none of us local boys haven't ever met up!?
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 31 2015, 10:21 AM) *

Oh I get it.

DD is for designated drvier.

I was thinking the company would have a more interesting double D's.
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 30 2015, 09:39 PM) *

hows it work?

Here's how it could work for McCoy.

His cap charge for 2015 is $11.95M, which consists of 9.75M sal +1.7M charge for his signing bonus +0.5M of workout and roster bonuses. Shady will receive in cash 10.25M (9.75M sal + 0.5M bonuses).

Also, he has future cap hits of 3.4M for unamortized portions of the $8.5M signing bonus he got a few years ago. It was a 5 year deal, and he got the money immediately, but for cap purposes, the teams amortizes it over 5 years. 8.5M/5 = 1.7M per year and the team already took the 2012, 2013 and 2014 cap charges for this which leaves 2 years left.

So here's how it could work:
1. Shady gets the same cash = 10.25M.
2. We give him a new deal, a five year deal, with year one money of 10.25M, broken down as $1M salary, 0.5M roster/workout bonuses and 8.75M signing bonus.
3. His 2015 Cap charge is now calculated as follows:
Salary = 1.0M
W/O Bonus = 0.25M
Roster Bonus = 0.25M
Amortize Portion Signing Bonus of New Deal = 1.75M
One time charge for unamortized Old SB = 3.4M (2 yrs @ 1.7M per)
Total Cap Charge for Next Year = 6.65M

4. Year one savings of 5.3M (11.95M - 6.65M)
5. The down side is you added two more year to a RB's deal.
6. The upside is 5.3M of cap room buys a hell of a lot these days. Maclin's contract probably won't be for that much cap.

Hopefully this helps.
HOUSEoPAIN
Now that's an idea, why is it that none of us local boys haven't ever met up!?

I'm down. Looks like I'll be doing some business in Philly for awhile, so I'll be in the area frequently.

I was thinking the company would have a more interesting double D's.

Don't worry. By time the conversation is over, every girl around will look like Natalie Dormer.

Eyrie
Interesting breakdown by Mikey, but I'd point out that if McCoy is signing a two year extension to his current deal he's going to want a signing bonus that reflects those two extra years rather than simply converting an existing salary entitlement.

The big question then is whether he can produce for three more years at a high level. Given he is 26 I'd be very confident about 2015 and 2016 (the years we already have him for) but 2017 is a projection, especially given his expected high salary that year. I'm not worried about 2018, because we'd be on the hook for his pro-ratad signing bonus that year anyway and can simply make a decision to cut him at no further cost because his production is likely to be tailing off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.