Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maclin
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
There's been some chatter about Mac's new agent and the slowed negotiations since the change. I think Mac is a must sign and I wonder if the team thinks a deal may not occur before FA if they would franchise him. Would that be less expensive for the team? If Huff improves to become a reliable player this year and even potentially replaces Cooper the necessity for Mac in 2016 isn't as great.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 27 2015, 09:37 AM) *
I think Mac is a must sign

He deserves his payday, but if he's looking for top-5 WR money we should tell him to fuck off.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 27 2015, 01:30 PM) *
He deserves his payday, but if he's looking for top-5 WR money we should tell him to fuck off.

Thus, the franchise option. More important than a WR is a QB who is capable of winning it all. Foles has had turnover in coaches and WRs each year he's been here and he needs some stability all around. He's already got a new coach so for me he needs to keep his #1 WR.
make_it_rain
Franchising him looks like it will cost something like 12mil, if I'm not mistaken.

The complicated part is, Maclin has all the leverage, plus an inside look into what the Eagles are or were willing to pay for quality WR play when they swung and missed at Vincent Jackson earlier this year before the trade deadline. Picking up VJax would have also meant acquiring his contract and roughly $10M salary.

So Maclin knows if the team was willing to shell out 10M for VJax, he has to figure he's somewhere in the neighborhood. He's said he wants to be back, so maybe he's willing to take some sort of hometown discount. It wouldnt surprise me at all though if they came at Maclin with some sort of laughable lowball offer for like 7M a season and Chip gets all butthurt and decides to plug another guy into the system in an attempt to "get bigger at WR", when Maclin balks, and eventually walks away from the table.

Resigning this guy has to be the priority.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Jan 27 2015, 03:38 PM) *
It wouldnt surprise me at all though if they came at Maclin with some sort of laughable lowball offer for like 7M a season and Chip gets all butthurt and decides to plug another guy into the system in an attempt to "get bigger at WR", when Maclin balks, and eventually walks away from the table.

If he lets go of two 1,300 yard receivers in consecutive years for nothing in return, grab yer popcorn and watch the shitstorm unfold.

JaxEagle
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 27 2015, 05:25 PM) *
If he lets go of two 1,300 yard receivers in consecutive years for nothing in return, grab yer popcorn and watch the shitstorm unfold.

True, and then brings in Mariota to throw to Huff and Maehl.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Jan 27 2015, 05:41 PM) *
True, and then brings in Mariota to throw to Huff and Maehl.

Don't forget our new #1 Cooper.....
JeeQ
I don't think Maclin will be here next season if he expects a big contract...

If you can let go of DeSean for nothing, letting go of Maclin is a breeze...

Chip will draft a WR in the 2nd round again and call it a day
nephillymike
There is no way we can let Maclin walk. Even if we have to pay a premium, we need to.

An inexperienced GM candidate knows that as well as any coach turned GM wannabee.

he ain't going anywhere
HobbEs
Generally you see a huge improvement in players between their first and second year in the pros. If Jordan Matthews makes that leap then Maclin is expendable.
Zero
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 28 2015, 09:25 AM) *
Generally you see a huge improvement in players between their first and second year in the pros. If Jordan Matthews makes that leap then Maclin is expendable.

Maclin has a different game than Matthews and even if Matthews takes that step up they still need another threat. Cooper? I hope Huff will step up too but that's basically three unknowns vs Mac.
HobbEs
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 28 2015, 07:33 PM) *
Maclin has a different game than Matthews and even if Matthews takes that step up they still need another threat. Cooper? I hope Huff will step up too but that's basically three unknowns vs Mac.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Maclin back but if another team blows him away with an offer I don't know if we'll match it.

I would be okay if Matthews takes over for Maclin and Josh Huff becomes our slot receiver (he may be better suited for that spot anyway). We would still need someone who can stretch the field and it doesn't matter if he comes via the draft or FA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.