Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy shit, we've got more needs than I thought!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
FA ... I'll need help knowing if the cap is capable of handling this. First, sign Maclin, then:
CB: Maxwell (SEA) or Culver (SF)
S: McCourty (NE)
ILB: Moats (PIT)
G: Boling (CIN)
I think we'd all love to see them strengthen CB and S quickly in FA and then add some serious talent early in the draft. I'm good with Foles starting in TC but he needs some serious competition and the team needs insurance in case he's the 2014 Foles. There are too many needs to mortgage the future for Mariotta and grabbing a player like Hundley is almost a necessity. They missed Jackson's speed more than they want to admit and getting either Montgomery, Smith (OSU) or someone else to fill that role is important. From there they need to:
Draft:
Williams, CB (FL State)
Hundley, QB (UCLA)
Montgomery, WR (Stanford)
Hull, ILB (PSU)
OG
OLB
OL
Bennett, QB (SE LA)

What about Ryans? Will he be healthy and will he return? Do they go for a guy like Moats (PIT) to fill the role next to Kendricks? Count on the return and progress of Goode or count on a rookie to do the job? Cole? Graham? Will either or both be back? Without Ryans LB is a problem. Without Ryans, Cole and Graham they don't have any depth and those spots become almost as important as CB and S. Do they add an OLB like Carter (DAL)? That's a lot of FAs!
Zero
And Mac may not be an easy sign?
Linc ...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 24 2015, 09:02 AM) *
FA ... I'll need help knowing if the cap is capable of handling this. First, sign Maclin, then:
CB: Maxwell (SEA) or Culver (SF)
S: McCourty (NE)
ILB: Moats (PIT)
G: Boling (CIN)
I think we'd all love to see them strengthen CB and S quickly in FA and then add some serious talent early in the draft. I'm good with Foles starting in TC but he needs some serious competition and the team needs insurance in case he's the 2014 Foles. There are too many needs to mortgage the future for Mariotta and grabbing a player like Hundley is almost a necessity. They missed Jackson's speed more than they want to admit and getting either Montgomery, Smith (OSU) or someone else to fill that role is important. From there they need to:
Draft:
Williams, CB (FL State)
Hundley, QB (UCLA)
Montgomery, WR (Stanford)
Hull, ILB (PSU)
OG
OLB
OL
Bennett, QB (SE LA)

What about Ryans? Will he be healthy and will he return? Do they go for a guy like Moats (PIT) to fill the role next to Kendricks? Count on the return and progress of Goode or count on a rookie to do the job? Cole? Graham? Will either or both be back? Without Ryans LB is a problem. Without Ryans, Cole and Graham they don't have any depth and those spots become almost as important as CB and S. Do they add an OLB like Carter (DAL)? That's a lot of FAs!

Z,

I can price out the four FA's you want to get but you need to tell me which players you are cutting or not resigning to get them.

CB - are we cutting Sconces or just letting Fletcher go or keeping both and letting a backup CB go?
S - are we just not signng Allen or are we signing Allen as a backup and cutting Wolf?
ILB - cutting Ryans? Or keeping him and cutting one of the backups (Matthews, Acho, Goode, Long, Smith)
OG - cutting Herremans, or keepig Todd and cutting a backup?
Phits
Until we get our QB situation sorted out you can expect us to be "good enough" but not great....no matter how good the D is. The 2014 Bills are a prime example of this kind of 'ineptitude'.
nephillymike
My simplistic approach to free agency and the draft for a team that is playoff talented but needs to stock up to go far in the playoffs:

A. Who on our team is not good enough to start for a top four NFL team:

Definite
1. Fletcher
2. Sconces
3. Cooper
4. Allen

Possible
5. Foles

B. What positions need backup boosts and depth

1. ILB
2. CB
3. OG
4. OLB
5. QB

Make cuts and get FA's for the immediate needs for the first group and draft the BPA (at pos of need) for the second group.

BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 24 2015, 05:25 PM) *
A. Who on our team is not good enough to start for a top four NFL team:

Possible
5. Foles

the top four is not subjective since we just passed the conf champ games

Foles would never supplant any of the top 4 team QB and be a a starter...even if you expanded it to the week before (top 8) he still isnt in the conversation

Possible? no he is DEFINITELY a need if "top 4" is your criteria

just sayin...
Eyrie
Foles is the biggest question mark right now. If he can get back to his 2013 form, then we have an elite QB, but if he stays at his 2014 level he needs replaced.

I like what Zero's suggested as moves, although I'm not sure that we need to sign a FA G unless Herremans is being released and would prefer to add an OLB in FA.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 24 2015, 04:57 PM) *
Z,

I can price out the four FA's you want to get but you need to tell me which players you are cutting or not resigning to get them.

CB - are we cutting Sconces or just letting Fletcher go or keeping both and letting a backup CB go?
S - are we just not signng Allen or are we signing Allen as a backup and cutting Wolf?
ILB - cutting Ryans? Or keeping him and cutting one of the backups (Matthews, Acho, Goode, Long, Smith)
OG - cutting Herremans, or keepig Todd and cutting a backup?

Williams is a question. At the least they need to restructure to lower the cap hit, $6.5 mil is too high. Fletcher is gone, IMO. Allen is gone and I'm guessing the door will hit Wolf on the ass.

$6.8 mil for Ryans is too high also, not because of his play but he's injured ... they need to reduce that number. Goode was the better of he and Acho, Long is an unknown and Smith isn't leaving. The other question is Matthews. He played better and would be OK as depth but not as a starter. My guess is they cut a deal with Ryans, Cole and Matthews and let Graham move on to a 4-3. They need to draft a young ILB to play with Kendricks and a FA is dependent on Demeco's health and how they're prioritizing their draft needs.

Herremans has been pretty solid when allowed to stay in a spot and when he's healthy and the line was great when they all were playing together. I think Kelly would like to get another year or two out of the top five. The problem is that Peters, Herremans and Mathis are all in their mid thirties and will start the decline soon and the transition could start by replacing Herremans (32) with Boling (25). And we can't forget that Mathis isn't happy with his money. Will that issue repeat?

Answer: Sconses - in; Allen - out; Ryans - out; Herremans - out; Mathis - in.
Zero
As Arte Johnson used to say: verrrry interesting:
nephillymike
OK Z, here goes:

Cap space for 2015 for the Eagles for the 51 contracts they are required to count as of now = 19.0M. This includes the approx 15M they carried forward and does not include any contracts for any of their FA not under contract (Maclin etc)

As per your request, we cut Ryans (cap saving 6.9M) and Herremans (savings of 2.8M) total cut savings = 9.7M

19.0M plus 9.7M gives us 28.7M for shopping.

Here are the year one cap hits for the top players at the positons you want from last year:

CB - Talib = 7.9M, Davis = 6.2M, Verner = 8.2M, Rodgers-Crom = 2.7M
S - Byrd 3.5M, Whitmer =4.2M, Mitchell 2.2M, Ward 3.2M, Jenkins 2.8M
ILB - Dansby = 5.5M, Beason = 3.1, D. Smith = 2.5M
OG - Saffold 4.0M, Beetles 7.5M, Schwartz = 2.3M

Taking realistic guesses, let's say CB = 7M, S = 3M, ILB = 3M, OG = 4M for a total of 17M. IN reality, there is plenty of wiggle room with how to spread the money.

28.7M of shopping money - 17M of new FA = 11.7M left.

Using Decker's $4M cap hit last year for the best WR deal, figure another Mill of cap hit for Maclin and put aside 5M for him.

That leaves us with 11.7M - 5M or 6.7M left over.

Reality check: The Eagles leave between 10 and 15% of cap unused on non dream team years. So the sobering reality may be to take the $140M cap number for next year and sock 14-21M away for the never used rainy day fund.

Removing $15M -18M or so would leave us overspent by Eagles standards of about 8-11M. So you probably need to decide which 8-11M of FA we really don't need to convert the football needs you see every Sunday on the football field to the reality of professional football in Philadelphia.

Figure one new CB for $7M plus Mac for $5M and $18M carried over for next year.

But if you cut your man Sconces, his cap number could prolly get us another mid CB and one more of the three that we had to drop from our Eagles adjusted wish list above. Just sayin'

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/
Zero
Or, if they do cut Williams then they could gamble on a round 1 CB to battle Boykin for the starter's spot. I think getting McCourty would be a better choice than one of the CBs if they do as you suggest and limit the FA money. They've got Carroll who showed well in PS but was spotty when he filled in for Fletcher and then make their first pick a CB even if there's a minor reach. I still think they need a young OG with good upside.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 25 2015, 12:33 PM) *
Or, if they do cut Williams then they could gamble on a round 1 CB to battle Boykin for the starter's spot. I think getting McCourty would be a better choice than one of the CBs if they do as you suggest and limit the FA money. They've got Carroll who showed well in PS but was spotty when he filled in for Fletcher and then make their first pick a CB even if there's a minor reach. I still think they need a young OG with good upside.

Our need for OG, which I agree with BTW, shows the disappointment in lack of talent/development of Tobin, Gardner and Kelly over the last few years. We should have one of them ready to step up but they didn't. I think Boykin would be better than either of the two we had last year. They seem to worry about his tackling on the edge and lack of size. But he wouldn't have to tackle much if they didn't catch it on him and 5ft 10 a foot away from the WR is a hell of a lot taller than 6 ft 1 five feet away from the WR. That seems to be a foreign concept to them. As far as Carroll, I thought for sure he'd replace one of them but the fact he couldn't speaks volumes. I'm leaning on being done with him also.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 25 2015, 12:44 PM) *
Our need for OG, which I agree with BTW, shows the disappointment in lack of talent/development of Tobin, Gardner and Kelly over the last few years. We should have one of them ready to step up but they didn't. I think Boykin would be better than either of the two we had last year. They seem to worry about his tackling on the edge and lack of size. But he wouldn't have to tackle much if they didn't catch it on him and 5ft 10 a foot away from the WR is a hell of a lot taller than 6 ft 1 five feet away from the WR. That seems to be a foreign concept to them. As far as Carroll, I thought for sure he'd replace one of them but the fact he couldn't speaks volumes. I'm leaning on being done with him also.

Unless much of the problem is the result of positional coaching. If Kelly likes to delegate and let the coach do his job then maybe it follows that the coordinators do the same thing. The new DB coach is supposed to be good. We'll see if that makes a difference both in who plays and how they play.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.