I was checking out the cap space that we had left from this year which we are allowed to roll over to next year.

In general, the teams with more cap space have spent less money on their players.

However, that doesn't tell the whole story. The remaining cap space only accounts for money paid out that has been charged to the cap. Not all amounts paid out to players has hit the cap yet. The uncharged portion of signing bonuses and uncharged guaranteed future salaries all are monies that teams have paid out or will pay out via guarantee but they have not hit the cap yet.

For example, if a team signs a player to a three year deal with a $9M SB and salaries of $2M per year, the cap hit will look as follows as compared to the cash payout:

Year.....Cap SB.....Cap Sal...Cap Tot........Cash SB....Cash Sal.....Cash Tot
One........3M............2M.........5M..............9M.............2M.............11M
Two........3M............2M.........5M...............0...............2M..............2M
Three......3M............2M.........5M..............0...............2M...............2M
Total.......9M............6M.........15M............9M.............6M..............15M

So looking at this example after year one, the cap would have been charged $6M less than the cash paid. Looking at only the cap space available would hide the fact that this team actually paid $6M more than the cap shows. The cumulation of all "uncharged to the cap" signing bonuses and future guarantees is known as dead money. In this case, the dead money after year one on the above contract is $6M, which is the uncharged SB. After year two it is $3M

By adding all of the dead money in a teams contracts in 2015 and subtracting from that the available cap space a team has left from 2014 and is rolling over to 2015, you can get a look to how much money a team has spent relative to the others in the league.

I took a look at how we compare to the other three teams in the NFC East, and what I consider to be the top five teams in the league:

Team..........'15 Dead $............'14 Cap Space.........Net Spend
DAL...............119.4M..................3.8M....................115.6M
GB..................94.4M...................7.3M.....................87.1M
IND................96.3M....................9.6M.....................86.7M
NE..................82.4M....................4.2M.....................78.2M
NYG................61.5M....................(0.4M)..................61.9M
WAS...............58.6M.....................0.9M....................59.7M
SEA................64.2M....................4.6M.....................59.6M
PHI.................68.5M...................14.8M....................53.7M
DEN................49.9M....................0.8M.....................49.1M

We're 8th out of 9. I was surprised with DEN having so relative little amount of dead money. Also was surprised how much more Jones puts into his team than we do, given the hard cap the NFL uses. They have a whopping $119M of money spent that hasn't hit the cap. As much as I hate Jones, I admire his dedication. That's 62M he could have had in his pocket relative to what Lurie had.

Here's a great site to check out for all things cap related:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/