Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is Nick Foles' value on the market?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Could we get a 3rd round pick for Nick? Is that over valuing him? Would a QB starved team be willing to take the middle ground between 2013 historic season and 2014 mediocre season?
Eyrie
Any pick would be a conditional one.

But I can't see any team approaching the Eagles precisely because of Foles' inconsistency and it would hurt his value if the Eagles were to take soundings. I think he'll be here for 2014 and playing for his future in the NFL more than his next deal with the Eagles. A good season will see us offer an extension and a poor one will see him as signing as a FA back up elsewhere.

nephillymike
We should be able to get a 3rd which could improve to a 2nd.

This is a QB starved league.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 17 2015, 01:07 AM) *

And right now we're a QB starved team, unless last season turns out to be a blip and Foles plays closer to his 2013 form (although he'll never repeat it). So I can't see us trading him unless it's a fantastic offer, which Foles hasn't justified yet.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 16 2015, 08:07 PM) *

I'm sure you're just answering the question, but this whole Mortgage for Mariota movement has me scratching my head. If we're adding a trade Foles to get Mariota argument I get really dizzy. We've seen too many "can't miss" players drafted high that have failed miserably to go down that road. Foles sure has his limitations, but he's the only QB the team has and if they trade him and add an unknown Mariota, Einstein's definition of insanity will be instantly replaced.

If Mariota falls to us, or low enough that we could make a reasonable trade (not sacrificing the future) then it makes sense to gamble. No doubt the team is in a very dubious QB situation but there are clear, glaring needs that must be addressed. It could be argued that the QB didn't lose the game against Dallas or the game against Washington despite the ints. In fact, I'd say the defense played a bigger part in those losses than the offense did ... focus on the DBs.

The Eagles absolutely need to address the QB situation but the needs in the DB and OL are probably greater ... DB for now and OL depth. That 3rd or potential 2nd could help but could also set the team back for a decade if things don't go right.

The personnel department is more of an unknown now than ever, any trade right now will be very scary from where I sit.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 17 2015, 06:58 AM) *
I'm sure you're just answering the question, but this whole Mortgage for Mariota movement has me scratching my head. If we're adding a trade Foles to get Mariota argument I get really dizzy. We've seen too many "can't miss" players drafted high that have failed miserably to go down that road. Foles sure has his limitations, but he's the only QB the team has and if they trade him and add an unknown Mariota, Einstein's definition of insanity will be instantly replaced.

If Mariota falls to us, or low enough that we could make a reasonable trade (not sacrificing the future) then it makes sense to gamble. No doubt the team is in a very dubious QB situation but there are clear, glaring needs that must be addressed. It could be argued that the QB didn't lose the game against Dallas or the game against Washington despite the ints. In fact, I'd say the defense played a bigger part in those losses than the offense did ... focus on the DBs.

The Eagles absolutely need to address the QB situation but the needs in the DB and OL are probably greater ... DB for now and OL depth. That 3rd or potential 2nd could help but could also set the team back for a decade if things don't go right.

The personnel department is more of an unknown now than ever, any trade right now will be very scary from where I sit.

Yup!!
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 16 2015, 08:07 PM) *

QB starved league or not....Foles doesnt have much value because aside from anything about his on the field play (which is a large enough question)....he has yet to prove he can stay on the field. he has been hurt every year he has played and is even now coming back off season ending injury

if they dont address QB this offseason Foles will get a new contract after next season....which means he stays until Chip cant take it anymore
HOUSEoPAIN

Agreed. I'm concerned about what Chip is going to do, especially since if he takes a huge gamble and fails, who cares? Back to college where he's a god.
nephillymike

I feel your angst.

Yes I was just answering the question.

I think he is definitely worth a 3rd round pick with upgrade based on play. It's a cheap investment for anyone wanting to take a chance that he was more of 2013 than 2014.

Defense is definitely the bigger need. But you fill big glaring needs that need immediate improvement in free agency. LOnger term roster improvement via the draft. Of course if your franchise of zero Super Bowls spends at 85%-90% of the cap year after year, then you're limited to how much can be done to fill immediate needs in FA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.