Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lets mortgage the future for Mariota
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JaxEagle
... i could still be wrong about Mariota though..... laugh.gif laugh.gif

McNabbulous??? wink.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Jan 12 2015, 11:48 PM) *
... i could still be wrong about Mariota though..... laugh.gif laugh.gif

McNabbulous??? wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Seriously, the Ducks are the college version of the Eagles.

DRAFT DEFENSE!
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 12 2015, 09:07 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Seriously, the Ducks are the college version of the Eagles.

DRAFT DEFENSE!

Much like in the NFL, Chip's system doesn't win big games... I hate to admit it because I like Chip but defense wins championships every time and ours is the worst in the league. It was like watching a mirror team out there in the Ducks... all the Chip Kelly attributes were on display:

*Quick Strike Offense
*But The Quickest Three & Out
*But At Least It Looks Flashy
*For All 15 Plays They Had In The 2nd Half
*Atrocious Defense
*That As Desean Correctly Described "Turns Players Into Superstars" (Zeeeekeeeeee!)
*Embarrassing Time Of Possession Difference
*Fun To Watch
*But Loses Big Games

I'm officially hopping fully on board the defense train... we're never going anywhere with them as bad they are

Good Defense + 3rd String QB Making His 3rd Ever Start >>> Best Statistical, 1st Pick In The Draft & Heisman Winning QB + High Scoring Offense

It'd be different if the game was close, but Ohio State nearly set the BCS record for turnovers (they had 4... 5 was the record ) and still ran Mariota and the Ducks out of the building
JaxEagle
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Jan 13 2015, 01:19 AM) *
Much like in the NFL, Chip's system doesn't win big games... I hate to admit it because I like Chip but defense wins championships every time and ours is the worst in the league. It was like watching a mirror team out there in the Ducks... all the Chip Kelly attributes were on display:

*Quick Strike Offense
*But The Quickest Three & Out
*But At Least It Looks Flashy
*For All 15 Plays They Had In The 2nd Half
*Atrocious Defense
*That As Desean Correctly Described "Turns Players Into Superstars" (Zeeeekeeeeee!)
*Embarrassing Time Of Possession Difference
*Fun To Watch
*But Loses Big Games

I'm officially hopping fully on board the defense train... we're never going anywhere with them as bad they are

Good Defense + 3rd String QB Making His 3rd Ever Start >>> Best Statistical, 1st Pick In The Draft & Heisman Winning QB + High Scoring Offense

It'd be different if the game was close, but Ohio State nearly set the BCS record for turnovers (they had 4... 5 was the record ) and still ran Mariota and the Ducks out of the building

IMO, Ohio State beat Bama worse than Oregon beat Florida State. Then Ohio State beat Oregon worse than both of the prior games. Without Ohio State's turnovers and mistake against both Alabama and Oregon, you'd be looking at a game like against Wisconsin. #15 and #12 were pretty darn good!!
Phits
what if we Mariota was still available when we made our 1st round pick? are you implying he isn't worth it?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Jan 13 2015, 01:19 AM) *

Yeah I mean, we did put up something like 25 points per game offensively, and about 30 when factoring in D/ST scores. Even a mediocre secondary would give us a shot. It won't help much at the end of the season when our defense is completely gassed from being on the field 40 minutes a game, but hey, maybe Chip will learn that TOP does actually matter a bit.
GroundedBird
It's not Mariota had a bad game, but he didn't win.

In the eyes of some, that may drop him some. I've seen speculations that he might drop down to 15. That might put him in play.

What would Mariota give the Eagles? The big thing with this offense is not to have a three and out in the FIRST series. In the worst case, I feel Mariota should be able to scramble enough on the first series to ensure it's not a 3 and out.

That may be enough to make this pick make more sense.

I'm sure regardless of what is done, the Eagles will address Defense.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 13 2015, 10:10 AM) *
what if we Mariota was still available when we made our 1st round pick? are you implying he isn't worth it?

To be honest, that'd be a consideration but I am not ready to say I'd jump on it. That'd require some thought. We shall see.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Jan 13 2015, 01:42 PM) *
I'm sure regardless of what is done, the Eagles will address Defense.

rolleyes.gif
JeeQ
If Mariota tanks at the combine he'll fall right into our draft pick
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 13 2015, 03:10 PM) *

I'd think if he drops out of the top ten then Kelly will trade up for him.

I also think we have too many holes on defence to gamble on a QB that early.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 13 2015, 02:46 PM) *

Yikes!!!!

Also, Cardale Jones talking about coming out. Confidence, Strong Runner and Super Cannon arm. Interesting fit for Chip. Football IQ is a bit unproven but still very intriguing.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 13 2015, 02:46 PM) *

That's the problem with the draft, everything is a gamble. If Mariota is a (potential) franchise QB, and ideal fit for the "Chip System" how much is too much?

nephillymike
When he goes to the combine, he will drop down. The last two years, Smith and Bridgewater dropped big time.

A team would have to conclude that MM is the best Qb for their system. Unless they play our system, that is a tough sell.

He'll drop in he mid teens. He's ours if we want him.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 13 2015, 08:25 PM) *
When he goes to the combine, he will drop down. The last two years, Smith and Bridgewater dropped big time.

A team would have to conclude that MM is the best Qb for their system. Unless they play our system, that is a tough sell.

He'll drop in he mid teens. He's ours if we want him.

That scares me. If it happens then Chip is betting on him, sink or swim.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 13 2015, 10:09 PM) *
That's the problem with the draft, everything is a gamble. If Mariota is a (potential) franchise QB, and ideal fit for the "Chip System" how much is too much?

There are enough QB hungry teams ahead of us that Mariota shouldn't fall within our realistic range. If he does, then that raises plenty of questions about his ability to play QB in the NFL.

I'd agree though that his best chance would be a reunion with Kelly, in a system he knows and with a coach who knows him. I could live with the pick if it costs us this year's third or next year's second, and comes after we've fixed a few of those defensive holes in free agency.

QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Jan 14 2015, 03:44 AM) *
That scares me. If it happens then Chip is betting on him, sink or swim.

Which is why I think Kelly will trade up if the price isn't extortionate. He knows how well Mariota can play in his system, so is likely to regard him as the best fit and thus provide Kelly with the best chance of success.

It's up to the rest of the war room to make sure that the price is reasonable, because if we trade up and Mariota is a bust then that will probably see the end of Kelly and our next HC will need all the picks he can get to introduce his own system.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 14 2015, 02:38 PM) *
It's up to the rest of the war room to make sure that the price is reasonable, because if we trade up and Mariota is a bust then that will probably see the end of Kelly and our next HC will need all the picks he can get to introduce his own system.

In which case, Kelly won't give a rat's ass about the next coach's problems. This is what scares me, especially now that he has absolute authority over these decisions. Fortunately, I think the price will be way too steep to get him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.