Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Few Various Hindsight Thoughts About Mgt Shakeup
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
After listening to many pundits, talk show hosts, connected players and "insiders" ramble on about the management changes I think I have a better feeling on what hapened.

1. Howie Roseman was not removed from the personnel side of the business because of lack of skill. He was removed because he can't get along with personnel types. Grigson, Heckert and many others have left this organization recently on the outs with Howie and have done his job better than him elsewhere. Not that Howie was bad skill set wise, he just could not get along. You hear how he pissed Marynowitz off, pissed Gamble off. Maybe he wanted to be the head geek in charge and. like Banner, had that chip on his shoulder. As Adam Caplan put it, "Howie's problem is he gets in his own way". My guess is that after the security aided exit of Gamble, Chip had a heart to heart with Jeff saying that Howie's personality is bringing us down. He could give numerous examples of talented people who left the organization in recent years only to success elsewhere. He could even say if the rumors were true, that Chip balked coming here the first time because of Howie's rep and possible conflict. It would be hard when confronted with that scenario and hsi history of how Banner's personality hurt the organization not to come up with the same conclusion that Howie must get out of personnel.

2. With #1 being said, Chip appears not be be equipped to handle much more responsibilities on that side. Wanting guys like Hart and Huff rounds earlier and even Matthews a round earlier show a lack of experience. True the major thing is getting guys who can play, no matter where you draft them, but jumping ahead a round or two to do it will shorten the depth of a draft and lessen the chances you get guys who can play. Chip needs a guy who has the balls to take charge and tell him where we can get guys and to force him to stick to the draft board.

3. Mariota ponderings. His skill set does not transfer well to a standard NFL QB. As such, I think he will drop considerably and would not be shocked if he was there at #20, behind Winston and Hundley. In any event, I think he will at leat drop to 10 so he is obtainable if we want to. Now if the price was more reasonable, should we get him in a trade? Is is wise to trade for an asset who is only good in a certain system? If Chip leaves, then the asset is greatly devalued. I say yes, that with or without Chip we will keep the same system going forward. Also the system will likely limit those who can draft him. To maximize his succes, teams would need to employ that type of system and many of the teams at the top don't have GM's or OC's yet. I think we can get him reasonably.

4. If you read the Jeff Lurie comments from April about the Jackson parting, we learn a few interesting things:

A. It was Chip's decision to part ways.
B. That decision was made shortly after the season when the did end of the season reviews.
C. They tried to trade him.
D. They decided to release him in late March, three weeks after FA started, not to hoard his money in the cap, but to be nice to a former employee to let him hook up elsewhere.

Hmmmm. If we believe this, then once Chip made the decision that he didn't want Jackson, it was up to Howie to get proper value for that asset. He had from late January until training camp to get that done. They signed Maclin on February 28th. He had three windows to get the trade deal done. 1. After Mac signed but before FA 2. After FA when people who lost out on FA WR's may be interested and 3. During the draft when teams who hoped to land a top drafted WR failed. Are we to believe that a guy with Howie's trading experience failed at this seemingly easy task? Would he have given up on the 2nd and 3rd time windows options for the trading of the asset and called it a day? Were they being nice to Jackson? Please, per Caplan he was such a jerk behind the scenes that they had no interest in doing that. They cut him to save the money. That $10M in the bank couldn't cover a WR when we needed it to most.

Zero
#1 sounds plausible but I'm confused why Jeff would keep Howie under that scenario. If he were the impetus for several talented employees leaving and was in the process of adding more to the list why would you keep him?

Agree with #2 and I hope Chip treats his personnel guru the same way he does his coaches. Give the man goals and step out of the way and let him achieve those goals.

I still don't think Jackson was about the money. Is it possible that Howie dealt Jackson the same hand he dealt to all those personnel people who went to other jobs?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 11 2015, 08:53 PM) *
#1 sounds plausible but I'm confused why Jeff would keep Howie under that scenario. If he were the impetus for several talented employees leaving and was in the process of adding more to the list why would you keep him?

Agree with #2 and I hope Chip treats his personnel guru the same way he does his coaches. Give the man goals and step out of the way and let him achieve those goals.

I still don't think Jackson was about the money. Is it possible that Howie dealt Jackson the same hand he dealt to all those personnel people who went to other jobs?

#1, he kept him to do contracts and to be the head guy to do that. He is the most qualified to do that job so he can stick with him as a loyal employee and not have to worry about him pissing people off. With personnel folk, he wasn't the best and losing people on that side of the aisle hurts the team long term.

After Chip decided to part ways it was Howie's responsibility to get a return on the asset. Howie is not incompetent. There was no urgency to get any return. They were happy with the $10M. If you have doubts, just look at what they've done every year. An 85-90% spend of the cap. As much of a pain Caplan siad DJAx was, they would not have done him a favor by letting him go early. If they really wanted to do that, (the favor), they would have cut him before FA.
Zero
#1, he kept him to do contracts and to be the head guy to do that. He is the most qualified to do that job so he can stick with him as a loyal employee and not have to worry about him pissing people off. With personnel folk, he wasn't the best and losing people on that side of the aisle hurts the team long term.
I'm sure there are capable capologists around who could do the job. If Howie alienates fellow employees and, more importantly carries a grudge against Chip and/or the new personnel man or Jeff it could really hurt the team now and for years to come.

After Chip decided to part ways it was Howie's responsibility to get a return on the asset. Howie is not incompetent. There was no urgency to get any return. They were happy with the $10M. If you have doubts, just look at what they've done every year. An 85-90% spend of the cap. As much of a pain Caplan siad DJAx was, they would not have done him a favor by letting him go early. If they really wanted to do that, (the favor), they would have cut him before FA.
Mikey Numbers has a way of breaking things down to numbers but I just don't get the sense that Lurie or Chip always do. That said, recovering a one year $10 million asset in exchange for not only production on the field but in jersey sales doesn't sound like a positive number on the balance sheet to me. They needed to get something in return that would help them on the field and the GM failed to do that for whatever reason. Maybe not equal value, maybe not half value but SOMETHING!

Do they get draft compensation for "losing" Jackson?

nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 12 2015, 07:00 AM) *
I'm sure there are capable capologists around who could do the job. If Howie alienates fellow employees and, more importantly carries a grudge against Chip and/or the new personnel man or Jeff it could really hurt the team now and for years to come.

Mikey Numbers has a way of breaking things down to numbers but I just don't get the sense that Lurie or Chip always do. That said, recovering a one year $10 million asset in exchange for not only production on the field but in jersey sales doesn't sound like a positive number on the balance sheet to me. They needed to get something in return that would help them on the field and the GM failed to do that for whatever reason. Maybe not equal value, maybe not half value but SOMETHING!

Do they get draft compensation for "losing" Jackson?

No, he wasn't a free agent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.