Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you do with Foles?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I'd sign him to a cap friendly, reasonable, average starter salary that would give the team the option to relook depending on how he evolves and gives him the same opportunity. Keep him but let him know he has to show that he's The Man ... he will be expected to compete for the starter spot. Give him money, stroke his ego but set his goals realistically. Be honest.

Then I'd look for the backup discussed in another thread and draft a player from round 2 down depending on how the team evaluates the player. Hundley, Grayson? I would not try to trade up for Mariota. Depending on how his head is viewed, compensation, etc. I probably wouldn't trade for RGIII either.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 8 2015, 04:43 PM) *
I'd sign him to a cap friendly, reasonable, average starter salary that would give the team the option to relook depending on how he evolves and gives him the same opportunity. Keep him but let him know he has to show that he's The Man ... he will be expected to compete for the starter spot. Give him money, stroke his ego but set his goals realistically. Be honest.

Then I'd look for the backup discussed in another thread and draft a player from round 2 down depending on how the team evaluates the player. Hundley, Grayson? I would not try to trade up for Mariota. Depending on how his head is viewed, compensation, etc. I probably wouldn't trade for RGIII either.

Howie calls Foles' agent with that offer and the agent thinks...

should i tell Nick to take mediocre money with no real commitment with open competition for his job NOW

or

should i remind Nick that due to an expanded playoff pool next season the Eagles will without a doubt make the playoffs and (due to even more suckass teams being in the playoffs) he is almost guaranteed at least one playoff win....after such a season, Nick's value will be higher and there will be an open market, meaning that the Eagles, or some other team, will be forced to give Nick a pretty good contract and a real commitment with none of this compete for your job stuff in order to sign him
Eagle2720
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 8 2015, 05:41 PM) *
Howie calls Foles' agent with that offer and the agent thinks...

should i tell Nick to take mediocre money with no real commitment with open competition for his job NOW

or

should i remind Nick that due to an expanded playoff pool next season the Eagles will without a doubt make the playoffs and (due to even more suckass teams being in the playoffs) he is almost guaranteed at least one playoff win....after such a season, Nick's value will be higher and there will be an open market, meaning that the Eagles, or some other team, will be forced to give Nick a pretty good contract and a real commitment with none of this compete for your job stuff in order to sign him

Wait is there really an expanded playoff pool for next year? If so, how many teams?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Jan 8 2015, 06:00 PM) *
Wait is there really an expanded playoff pool for next year? If so, how many teams?

14 teams get in, the #1 seed in each conference gets a first round bye, 6 games the first weekend, then the divisional round occurs and so on. I hate the idea.

I believe the proposal is being voted on by the owners in March, so expect it to pass.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 8 2015, 05:41 PM) *
should i remind Nick that due to an expanded playoff pool next season the Eagles will without a doubt make the playoffs and (due to even more suckass teams being in the playoffs) he is almost guaranteed at least one playoff win

rolleyes.gif

Some fans never learn.
nephillymike
Wow I never even heard of expanded playoffs.

You know the owners will vote for it.

But then again, we would be the 7th seed this year right?

I tell Foles he's in competition for the starting job and depending on how he does, we'll talk after the season.

I bring in either Vick of Sanchez or someone similar to compete for the job and draft a prospect in the 3rd round or lower if available and if not I let Barkley and KInne compete for #3.

I hope Foles wins it with excellent play. He's a good kid, he's got some upside and I'd like to see him be our QB for the next 10 years.

This assumes we don't trade for Mariota. Within reason, I can be sold on doing that. If that is the case, I would probably include Foles in the trade.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 8 2015, 06:38 PM) *
rolleyes.gif

Some fans never learn.

im speaking more of how Nick's agent will view it
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 8 2015, 07:18 PM) *
But then again, we would be the 7th seed this year right?

Yeah - which means we would've gotten destroyed at Lambeau last weekend.....
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 8 2015, 07:27 PM) *
Yeah - which means we would've gotten destroyed at Lambeau last weekend.....

You know the poker saying HOP,

A chip and a chair keeps me in the game. No pun intended!

And if ARI doesn't lose Palmer, they are #2 seed and we go there and beat that overated team in the desert.

I'd take my #7 seed and my chances.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.