Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Detail of Our Cap For 2015
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
As of now, we have 2.1M of cap space projected for next year.

That figure includes the top 50 paid players and does not include any money for the unsigned free agents ('14 Cap):

J. Maclin (5.5M)
M. Sanchez (2.3M)
C. Matthews (0.75M)
C. Thornton (0.64M)
C. Polk (0.57M)

Also those I'm not keeping - Fletcher, Allen, B. Smith, Maehl

Polk, and Thornton are no brainers and cheap via RFA tender tags prolly cost less than $2M for both combined

If you figure we will get Sanchez or someone similar, the cap hit for b/u QB should be about the same. say 2.5M

That gets us to 53 players and about 2.4M over the cap. But we still have the Maclin deal to include.

Below are the top ten cap savings opportunties that are available to us. (the '14 base, '15 cap and '15 savings if cut in '15. Savings are '15 cap less '15 dead money charge)

Name.............'14 base.......'15 cap......Potential '15 savings
Cole..................5.0............11.625.............8.4
McCoy...............7.6............11.950.............7.5
Ryans...............6.8..............6.900..............6.9
C. Williams........4.7..............8.167..............6.5
Celek................4.0..............4.800..............4.8
Mathis...............5.1.............6.500..............4.5
Barwin..............4.3..............6.100..............4.3
Casey................3.9.............4.000...............4.0
Carroll...............0.8.............2.900...............2.9
Herremans........3.0.............5.200...............2.8
Graham.............1.7.............3.207..............1.5

I will make the cap cuts tomorrow and show what we should have available to get things done.
Zero
Mathis is going to want a new deal.
Eyrie
I could see Ryans and Cole reworking their deals to stay, particularly Ryans given the alternative is becoming a cap casualty whilst out injured (just business).

McCoy, Celek and Barwin are important players for us, so nothing happens there.

Both Mathis and Herremans are ageing so have a weak bargaining position. I'd like to take a G in the middle rounds to develop in 2015 and replace one in 2016.

Carroll is expensive for a back up that can't beat out Fletcher and Williams an overpaid underperformer - which makes them my favourites for the chop.

Lastly, I thought Graham was a FA?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 3 2015, 06:53 AM) *
I could see Ryans and Cole reworking their deals to stay, particularly Ryans given the alternative is becoming a cap casualty whilst out injured (just business).

McCoy, Celek and Barwin are important players for us, so nothing happens there.

Both Mathis and Herremans are ageing so have a weak bargaining position. I'd like to take a G in the middle rounds to develop in 2015 and replace one in 2016.

Carroll is expensive for a back up that can't beat out Fletcher and Williams an overpaid underperformer - which makes them my favourites for the chop.

Lastly, I thought Graham was a FA?

It's strange with Graham.

He's listed as a free agent but his cap numbers for a club option are still included in the cap figures. Not sure why, but I listed them here. Maybe the club option disappears after a certain date and based on pt incentives and then it will come off the cap. Not sure.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 2 2015, 11:41 PM) *
I will make the cap cuts tomorrow and show what we should have available to get things done.

I think you should get Roseman's job. I bet you wouldn't even be insulted by being called a great contract and numbers guy. Howie should've considered this novel thought "Self, you've never played football and yet you are a high ranking member of the front office of the Philadelphia Eagles. I think I will keep my mouth shut and keep working because I have a good gig going here. I don't want anyone to call my bluff." Ooops, I opened my mouth and Chip called my bluff...
nephillymike
Ok, here goes.

I'll try to get this in before Carolina makes mince meat of ARI's 3rd string QB, further elevating that sickening feeling of us not being in these playoffs.

#1.

I buy new lighting. Sconces is gone. He can take his $8.2M cap figure with him for his next "Leon Can't Do Everything" commercial. Good riddence to my most hated Eagle in the last ten years. Cap saving after dead money = $6.5M

James Casey is a cap casualty. No way to justify his $4.0 cap figure. Burton moves up to #3 TE.No dead money pure savings of $4.0M

If Carroll isn't good enough to replace the worst two CB's in the league, then I don't have a spot for him on my team. $2.9M of cap savings

I liked the way Graham played, but truth of the matter is he's going to get much more elsewhere. Would consider bringing him back if he came cheap but I don't see that happening. $3.2M cap less 1.7M dead = $1.5M cap savings.

Trent Cole made $5.0M in base this year. He is due to make $10M in base next year for a cap figure of $11.6M. Way off from his value. He is 32 years old. I offer him the same deal Peppers signed last year. At 34, he got 3 yrs, $26M, $7.5M SB, with $7.5M guaranteed. His cap hit in year one was $3.5M. I probably wouldn't even have to be as generous with Cole but let's say I did anyway. Cap savings of $8.1M, Cole would get $8.5M for this year, not as much as the $10M, but a hefty raise. This is worst case scenario. Reality is the Eagles could probably go cheaper. But I'll take the $8.1M savings.

Shady's cap hit is $11.9. Seems outrageous but with $9.7M base, there's not much savings opportunity without extending him beyond the shelf life of an NFL RB. I don't change his deal and bite the bullet. He's still a PB caliber RB. No savings but Shady is back and happy for another year.

So as a result of the above, my cap figure is improved by $23.0M for next year.

I sign a few of our lesser FA's, mostly RFA's.

I resign Sanchez $2.6M, Matthews 0.9M, Thorton 0.8M and Polk 0.7M. These are all modest increases and for most they're RFA's so only modest increases are due. If not Sanchez, then a QB who will make as much as him. He should be there if we want to go that route. These signings use up $5.0M.

Bye bye Fletcher, N. Allen, B. Smith and J. Maehl.

Maclin gets paid. The highest paid FA WR last year was E. Decker and I sweeten that deal. at 27, Decker got 5 yrs, 36.2M, $7.5M bonuse, $15M guaranteed. His year one cap figure was $4M. Figure Maclin gets a sweeter deal with an extra mill in year one cap so call it $5M of cap used.

Now I go FA shopping:

#9 CB #1. The top four cap figures for the top four CB's, Revis, Taslib, Verner and V. Davis were 6.2-8.2M of cap. I'll get one for $7.0M

#10 CB #2. Give me a mid-tier guy for $3.0M of cap. There were plenty signed in that range last year, not the superstars listed above, but a solid starter.

#11 S. Jenkins is fine, had a good year. Jenkins cost $2.7M in cap room this year, I'll use $2.5M of cap room to find an upgrade over Nate.

I just spent $18.0 M - Mac $5M, CB $7M, CB #2 $3M and S $3M.

So here's where we stand:

A. Starting Point into 2015 = $2.1M of cap available
B. Cap Cuts and Restructuring = $23.0M
C. Minor Resignings of our lesser FA's = ($5.0M)
D. Major FA signings (WR, CB#1, CB#2, S) = ($18.0M)

E. Adjusted Cap Room = $2.6M Plenty of money to sign rookies after the cap values of the cuts to make room for the rookies. There are other trimmings that are easy to do, should we desire.

No major holes needed to be filled. Draft the BPA in all rounds. Maybe we load up on some LB's but we have some injured guys coming back. Maybe pick a QB as high as round 2, given that we have two 4ths. Eight picks in seven rounds.

Dear Jeff and Chip,

Please hire me! I play nice with others, don't have a big ego and I would never ever pick a guy ranked 83rd on my board in the first round nor would I ever sign a clown like Sconces.

Sincerely,
NEPM.

I use all the cap. I don't have a prayer of getting hired but thanks for the thought Jax!
JaxEagle
ur in, howie's out!
Zero
Wanna help Foles and the RZ offense, find a way to sign Fitzgerald.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 3 2015, 08:13 PM) *
Wanna help Foles and the RZ offense, find a way to sign Fitzgerald.

Cooper's contract is a net cap hit if we cut him. Too early to cut him IMO.

On the list I have above:

1. Maclin
2. CB #1
3. CB #2
4. S

Who do you get Fitz for instead of?

Zero
Keep your most hated and go for CB#1. Getting Fitz would move Cooper to #3 or #4 depending on Huff's brain.
Eyrie
Nice bit of work there.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 3 2015, 10:00 PM) *
I use all the cap. I don't have a prayer of getting hired but thanks for the thought Jax!

Sadly, that is true.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 4 2015, 06:25 AM) *
Nice bit of work there.

Sadly, that is true.

You want a sick feeling?

Change my analysis but let's "pretend" that the owner has a management bonus program in place that rewards management with higher bonuses for less money spent, within reasonable ranges. (To be fair, that bonus program probably pays them for how far they get in the playoffs etc. ) Let's pretend that the range for full bonus payout is use of 85-90% of the cap each year. Let's say that managment needs to have cap room of 10-15% of the cap to fall within those parameters. At approx $140M of cap for next year, they would need to save $14-$21M to hit that range. Now go back to my analysis and shave $14-$21M of cap spent. How much of a talent decline is there? Our team has consistently had 10-15% cap room left over every year. Maybe THIS year will be the exception. Maybe THIS year will be the year of the Lombardi. My magic eight ball says "not likely".

Sick yet?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.