Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Needs vs availability
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Which is more important: Safety or Cornerback? I vote CB. Fletcher has to be gone (doesn't he?) or at worst, relegated to a back up, but because his contract is up I'm guessing gone. What if they move Boykin to starter and draft another slot guy, someone like Ifo Ekpre-Olomu from (where else) Oregon?

IMO, they're close enough that they should attack their weaknesses first in FA, and CB is tops on that list. Maybe make a run for Chris Harris or Brandon Flowers?

Should the try for Jason Worilds again? I'm not convinced the pass rush is where it needs to be even if there was improvement. I still wake up with the shakes seeing Romo standing in the pocket, unmolested while Bryant is speeding past Fletcher. Maybe some of those completions would be incomplete if Romo had pressure. The pass rush was on and off all year and had to play some part in the DB troubles.

At the very least, I think competition needs to be added to the QB mix. Who knows what direction they'll take, but if they go FA would they look at Ponder, Mallet or Davis? Davis didn't look too shabby when he played us but really seemed to fall off after that. If they still believe in Foles, would they draft a project to replace Barkley or do they still think Barkley can play? How about Hundley or Bridge a bit later?
D Rock
Boykin was as bad as fletcher this season. And Sconces was a human 3rd down penalty all season. Blow up the position group and start over.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 2 2015, 11:55 AM) *
Boykin was as bad as fletcher this season. And Sconces was a human 3rd down penalty all season. Blow up the position group and start over.

Sconces may be the worst of the group.
Eyrie
We seem to have a consensus on Williams. We need two new starting CBs - one in FA and one in the draft. We also need a starting S, ILB and OLB. One of the LB positions can be filled by keeping Graham or if Ryans can return. We fill one of the other vacancies in FA and one in the draft. Then we need a starting WR opposite Maclin (assuming we can keep him).

That is just starting players, before we look for any upgrades (QB) or development prospects (G).

GroundedBird
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 3 2015, 06:47 AM) *
We seem to have a consensus on Williams. We need two new starting CBs - one in FA and one in the draft. We also need a starting S, ILB and OLB. One of the LB positions can be filled by keeping Graham or if Ryans can return. We fill one of the other vacancies in FA and one in the draft. Then we need a starting WR opposite Maclin (assuming we can keep him).

That is just starting players, before we look for any upgrades (QB) or development prospects (G).

I'd like to see the CB issue addressed before the draft.

Not sure if Olomu's injury will cause him to drop but it might be someone worth waiting for.
Eyrie
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Jan 4 2015, 10:08 PM) *
I'd like to see the CB issue addressed before the draft.

Not sure if Olomu's injury will cause him to drop but it might be someone worth waiting for.

Are there any indications which CBs could be available?
Dreagon
From what I've read, ILB is the deepest position in the upcoming draft so that's probably the position most likely to have a stud player fall to you guys.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jan 5 2015, 10:11 PM) *
From what I've read, ILB is the deepest position in the upcoming draft so that's probably the position most likely to have a stud player fall to you guys.

If that is the case then the Eagles must go after at least one CB in FA then draft the ILB if there is a quality one available when the Eagles pick.
GroundedBird
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 5 2015, 02:24 PM) *
Are there any indications which CBs could be available?

Ray Didinger seems to think that Byron Maxwell would be a good fit. He cited Seattle's upcoming salary issues in the secondary.

Byron Maxwell Cornerback Seattle

Anyone that has watched the Eagles play this season knows that this team needs players in the secondary. Other than safety Malcolm Jenkins, Philadelphia’s secondary is full of average talent. A player like Maxwell would immediately make an impact on this team. He’s the prototypical Seattle cornerback, standing at 6’1″. To go along with his size, Maxwell has great agility and lateral movement. While he isn’t Richard Sherman or Darrelle Revis, Maxwell is developing into one of the best at the position, and will likely be one of the best corners available this offseason.

Here are some others: DBs
JaxEagle
I guess Davis is Austin Davis from St Louis. He is better than Mallett or Ponder. Barkley would be a great Tight End. Oh wait, I meant Sir Charles. The other Barkley was a good college QB. Not a NFL QB.
nephillymike
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Jan 6 2015, 10:57 PM) *
Ray Didinger seems to think that Byron Maxwell would be a good fit. He cited Seattle's upcoming salary issues in the secondary.

Byron Maxwell Cornerback Seattle

Anyone that has watched the Eagles play this season knows that this team needs players in the secondary. Other than safety Malcolm Jenkins, Philadelphia’s secondary is full of average talent. A player like Maxwell would immediately make an impact on this team. He’s the prototypical Seattle cornerback, standing at 6’1″. To go along with his size, Maxwell has great agility and lateral movement. While he isn’t Richard Sherman or Darrelle Revis, Maxwell is developing into one of the best at the position, and will likely be one of the best corners available this offseason.

Here are some others: DBs

As much as I love Ray, he's dead wrong here.

100% wrong IMO.

Except for Jenkins, our secondary is not full of "average" talent. It's full of NO talent.

Average would mean there are 16 duo's worse than Sconces and Fletch. Really?

C'mon Ray, tell it like it is.

Average!

You're killing me Smalls!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.