Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An Alarming QB Observation
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Season's Over and We've seen Eight games of Foles and Eight Games of Sanchez.

When the dust cleared, IMO, Sanchez played slightly better than Foles.

-Foles had more turmoil on the OL for a bigger percentage of his time at the helm

- Sanchez was much better mechanically, and movement in the pocket, stepping into throws etc.

- same cast of supporting characters, same production and same turnovers with better efficiency for Sanchez

- Given that Foles had a year in the system, he should have played better than Sanchez

- Sanchez has limitations where you can cut out a decent part of the field (the deep outs and deep middle)

- Foles has vision limitations and risk aversion where you can cut out a decent part of the field (the middle)

- they both made too many poor decisions.

- Going into next year you give Foles the nod because although he sucked this year, he had a great 2013 whereas Sanchez, although he was below average this year, he sucked prior to this in his career.

- Sanchez going halfway between this year and his Jets career is a bad place to be, whereas Foles going halfway between this year and his 2013 season is a top 12 type year.

- I guess I go with Foles but man, I watched some of the first half highlights with him as QB and man, his mechanics were absolutely horrendous and he will fail miserably unless he does a complete overhaul.

- as bad as were were at QB for most of the year and in the secondary for the year, above average QB play gets us to 12-4, 13-3. Not great QB pay, above average QB play.

- it's a long off season.

Is the draft in May again?
mcnabbulous
Basically the same assessment I've made. Don't think Sanchez will be back. I think they'll bring in another veteran backup, maybe draft a guy, and have an open competition.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 28 2014, 09:05 PM) *
Basically the same assessment I've made. Don't think Sanchez will be back. I think they'll bring in another veteran backup, maybe draft a guy, and have an open competition.

I don't know about Sanchez but I think he will be back.

From his perspective, he won't get starters money anywhere.

If he doesn't, then he'll be looking for backup role with some starting upside. His ideal situation is this system, with a chance to compete for the job.

IMO, Foles has done nothing to deserve the starting job being handed to him. Sanchez already knows he has shown that if he didn't play better than the incumbant, he played damn close to better than him.

From his perspective, this will be his best offer. Now whether or not we want to go that route, we'll see.

I was impressed with how he handled himself. Seemed like a likeable, good teamate, slightly below average QB.

However, if we sign him too, we would need to make it two years tops and draft a QB in the 3rd round or before to hedge our bets.

I'd be surprised that another veteran backup would be better suited and it seems like Barkley is done.

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!

If only Foles was half of what he was last year..................................................

mcnabbulous
I think they know exactly what they have with Sanchez and will make the decision not to bring him back. They'll look for someone with more upside. I'll put my early money on Locker.
Dreagon
The difference is that Sanchez has been in the NFL for years. He already is what he is, and I don't think you can count on that getting better. Foles hasn't been in near as long and has a lot more potential and upside....not to mention he already has a better record to boot.
Zero
My question is why did Foles' mechanics disappear?
Eyrie
I find myself agreeing with Mikey.

Sanchez played marginally better than Foles, without either being that good. He didn't play well enough to get serious money elsewhere and is at the stage in his career where being in the right system should be his main consideration, so I think we can make him a reasonable offer that will keep him here.

I don't know which QBs will be available or how they fit our system, but there are always too many teams chasing a starting QB that I do know that we're unlikely to add an upgrade without spending serious money. We could do that, but I'd think that the Eagles will give Foles one more year to see if he can get close to his 2013 form.

So training camp will be a battle between Foles and Sanchez, with Foles being given the early advantage.

And no, I'm not convinced that this scenario will work out for us.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 28 2014, 07:53 PM) *
When the dust cleared, IMO, Sanchez played slightly better than Foles.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 29 2014, 05:11 AM) *
I find myself agreeing with Mikey.

Sanchez played marginally better than Foles...

But, but, but...
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Dec 15 2014, 06:27 PM) *
Everyone else has watched them and can clearly see that Foles is better.

Obligatory laugh.gif
Zero
I think Kelly will find his QB. With his history of relative success with QBs going deep into his reserves it sure seems like he needs a player who will just fit his system. I'd think a "system QB" could be found in other than the first round and may even be another team's reject or back-up.

Mariotta isn't going to be an Eagle any time soon but Hundley could. Gamble and Mueller may have their eyes on a potential FA who isn't starting for a team. Maybe they know what Foles' problems were and will work to correct them.

Too early for this kind of talk but it is intriguing.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 29 2014, 06:11 AM) *
but I'd think that the Eagles will give Foles one more year to see if he can get close to his 2013 form.

So training camp will be a battle between Foles and Sanchez, with Foles being given the early advantage.

Oh, make no mistake about it, Foles gets at least one more year --- the final year of his rookie contract making about $800,000.

And he will also be the starting QB, make no mistake about that either.

And by the end of next season, the Birds may be wishing they extended him this year instead of waiting.
nephillymike
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 30 2014, 01:02 PM) *
Oh, make no mistake about it, Foles gets at least one more year --- the final year of his rookie contract making about $800,000.

And he will also be the starting QB, make no mistake about that either.

And by the end of next season, the Birds may be wishing they extended him this year instead of waiting.

Aside from the cheap price tag, why do you think that Foles will definitely be the starter?

What has his 26th QB rating and brutal turnover ratio, and Herman Munster pocket mobility earned him other than the right to possibly compete for a starters job here, if even that?

I'm OK with him starting if he wins a competition and that's only if the Eagles deem his play worthy of consideration as to be in the run for a starter. He hasn't earned jack shit. He sucked this year, plain and simple. The fact that a former NFL starter with the worse stats for a QB starting thirty or more games came in and played slightly better than him doesn't solidify any claim on anything.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 30 2014, 01:48 PM) *
Aside from the cheap price tag, why do you think that Foles will definitely be the starter?

What has his 26th QB rating and brutal turnover ratio, and Herman Munster pocket mobility earned him other than the right to possibly compete for a starters job here, if even that?

I'm OK with him starting if he wins a competition and that's only if the Eagles deem his play worthy of consideration as to be in the run for a starter. He hasn't earned jack shit. He sucked this year, plain and simple. The fact that a former NFL starter with the worse stats for a QB starting thirty or more games came in and played slightly better than him doesn't solidify any claim on anything.

What makes me think Foles wil be the starter?

Look, I know you canít stand the guy, thatís obvious, but who else do you plan on being the starter, Sanchez or Barkley? Please. If not them, who are you going to bring in and drop Chipperís twisted offense on? Who? Tell me.

If Foles was a seasoned vet making the mistakes he made this year, then yeah, I would dump him, but he isnít a seasoned vet, and one of the things you guys always fail to mention when you state how bad he sucks is that of the 8 games he started this year, they somehow managed to go 6 Ė 2 in spite of Foles and the patchwork offensive line he had to deal with.
koolaidluke
I think people need to be realistic about what to expect/hope for out of the QB position. Getting a guy as good as Alex Smith even is very difficult and if the Eagles were able to get a guy at that level they should consider themselves blessed.

Sanchez's numbers, outside of the interceptions, were REALLY fucking good. I don't think people realize how good they were. The only loss that can really be blamed on Sanchez is the Seattle game, in all the others he did enough to win except for GB which the Eagles would have lost regardless of the QB. The guy can play but I feel like the team has seen enough and is ready to move on.

As for Nick Foles, he is definitely good enough for the Eagles to win with IF he can stay healthy. I don't believe he can but if he can, he is the guy.

If Nick Foles isn't the guy, then the game plan is to get a QB who is about as good as Foles except with more durability. It is unrealistic to expect any more than that and unnecessary as well: The Eagles offense scored nearly 25 points a game this season.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 30 2014, 06:48 PM) *

I agree with Sam I Am.

Who else will be our starter? Look around the league and tell me who we could sign that can take over immediately. Look at the draft and tell me who we could take that could start immediately.

I'll predict Sanchez signs here for two years after finding he won't get a start anywhere else. Then it'll be a camp competition between him and Foles, with Foles getting the edge in a tie because he's young enough that he can improve on a piss poor 2014 and be acceptable (hopefully better though) without reaching the heights he did in 2013. Sanchez can only play at the level we saw this year, which is OK for a back up for a few games but not for a starter.
nephillymike
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 30 2014, 07:57 PM) *
What makes me think Foles wil be the starter?

Look, I know you canít stand the guy, thatís obvious, but who else do you plan on being the starter, Sanchez or Barkley? Please. If not them, who are you going to bring in and drop Chipperís twisted offense on? Who? Tell me.

If Foles was a seasoned vet making the mistakes he made this year, then yeah, I would dump him, but he isnít a seasoned vet, and one of the things you guys always fail to mention when you state how bad he sucks is that of the 8 games he started this year, they somehow managed to go 6 Ė 2 in spite of Foles and the patchwork offensive line he had to deal with.

I know I came off strong like I hate him but I don't. It's the reality that QB play was a big reason for us missing the playoffs and listening to so many people giving Foles the uncontested starting job is annoying to me.

It isn't the record. It's how you play. Even our shitty CB's were 6-2 to start the year.

I can be OK if he ends up starting after competition and I would prefer that competition to come from upgrades over Sanchez and Barkley. He has earned nothing more.
HobbEs
Here's something to think about...

Yeah, Foles was 6-2. But it was an ugly, sloppy, turnover plagued, and two of those games the Special Teams had to bail him out. You heard the rumors that the Eagles were starting to sour on Foles. Then he gets hurt, goes to the bench and his season was done.

(Once again) There were rumors that he could return by season's end...but he didn't. Was this by design? Coaches play the IR game all the time. Had they seen enough of Foles to know they want to go in another direction? Was this really an extended audition for Sanchez?

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to know.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Dec 31 2014, 01:58 PM) *
Was this really an extended audition for Sanchez?

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to know.

I don't think Sanchez did anything other than what was expected of him - serviceable for the most part, not good enough to beat anyone good, and certainly not the future.

It's likely Foles wasn't considered ready to just step back in for the game against Washington, especially since Sanchez had been starting for much of the season, and would have reasonably been expected to beat Washington and NY to close out the season before the playoffs. Of course, since we got eliminated that week, they would've seen no point in throwing Foles out there for the final meaningless game, which I agree with if that was the case.

The real question is who would've started in the playoffs. We'll never know for sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.