Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: January 11th, 2009
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HOUSEoPAIN
The last time the Eagles or Andy Reid won a playoff game. 6 years, and it'll be at least 7 for us and The Walrus. What's been missing?

The only bright side to our ongoing QB situation is that the dipshit McNabb hater brigade has been noticeably silent. Finally.
mcnabbulous
I don't think most people hated Donnie. By the end, I think most accepted he wasn't going to put us over the top. We obviously haven't found anyone close to Donnie's ability to replace him though. Alex Smith is a decent QB and has his moments, but his limitations are pretty well documented. To the point that he was replaced, mid-season, despite having a solid year.

Not too many teams are winning playoff games without good QB play.

My personal opinion of Donovan is pretty well documented. Absolutely loved the guy, but feel as though he let himself go physically, which shortened his prime (and thus our realistic window to win a championship).
Dreagon
McNabb was a damn good QB, but I think by the time you guys got rid of him, he was done. He didn't exactly set the world on fire the next two places he went.
nephillymike
It's a shame that McNabb didn't get it done.

He never had the benefit of anywhere near a balanced attack and the blame for that goes on Reid and later on Reid and Morningwheg.

However, as bad as McNabb played after he left, it's possible he was sheltered more than we knew. Reid has fared much better than McNabb did post Eagles so who knows.

I also don't know if McNabb had the self criticism to make himself all he needed to be for us to get that championship.

Would McNabb's accuracy been good enough in this system? Would his skin be tough enough for open competition?

I don't know.

In my eyes he went from a QB who was two good seasons away from HOF level to a washed up has been who didn't put forth the effort nor have the learning skills to adapt to new systems. Has he stayed, would he have been able to go from Reid to Chip's system? I don't think he could.

Our best QB ever and a good solid family man. We were lucky to have him.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 28 2014, 08:17 PM) *
Reid has fared much better than McNabb did post Eagles so who knows.

Saying 34 year old McNabb starting for the Redskins 'fared worse' than Reid in 2010 isn't exactly an honest argument. The fact is we as a franchise and him as a coach haven't won in the postseason in 6 years, which is why I posted this. We were contenders for most of #5's time here because of him and Jim Johnson (and the talent we had on defense).

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 28 2014, 07:31 PM) *
Saying 34 year old McNabb starting for the Redskins 'fared worse' than Reid in 2010 isn't exactly an honest argument. The fact is we as a franchise and him as a coach haven't won in the postseason in 6 years, which is why I posted this. We were contenders for most of #5's time here because of him and Jim Johnson (and the talent we had on defense).

Great QBs typically play at a very high level into their later 30's. That Donovan was washed up by his early 30's says everything you need to know about his career.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 28 2014, 08:44 PM) *
Great QBs typically play at a very high level into their later 30's. That Donovan was washed up by his early 30's says everything you need to know about his career.

That Reid hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years without JJ and McNabb says everything you need to know about the fraud that is The Walrus.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 29 2014, 08:16 AM) *
That Reid hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years without JJ and McNabb says everything you need to know about the fraud that is The Walrus.

Not really. He just hasn't found a suitable replacement at QB. Look around the league. Lots of guys are having the same problem.

Kolb was a bust, Vick was Vick, and Alex Smith is just a guy. I wouldn't expect too much playoff success out of any of them. Andy probably has two more years to put something together in KC before people get really restless. I personally think he made a mistake by hitching his wagon to Smith. He's a guy that can keep things competitive, but has little to no chance of putting a team over the top.

Andy has done pretty well in KC. About the same as Chip has done here. They have similar makeup. Chip is a better offensive coach, but Andy is probably a bit better at preparing a team.

Your ridiculous hyperbole doesn't change that.
mcnabbulous
Also, can you refresh my memory on who hand selected Donovan as his QB and Jim Johnson as his DC? I'm drawing a blank here.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 29 2014, 09:38 AM) *
He's a guy that can keep things competitive, but has little to no chance of putting a team over the top.

This would be a better description of Reid than Smith, but true anyway - and it's the same old song. Precisely why he hasn't won a playoff game since McNabb/JJ. A few weeks ago he gives Jamaal Charles 10 carries (for 91 yards) and has Smith pass 39 times, losing to the Cardinals. 2-4 to close out the season, Charles averaging 12 carries a game, one of the top 3 RB's in the game. Not to mention the usual boneheaded coaching moves, poor clock management, etc. that we've all come to know and hate from him. It's a testament to McNabb and JJ that they constantly overcame his gameday coaching.

Chip has done some stupid things, but I can't express how glad I am he's here instead of Reid - I wonder if Chiefs fans realize he has no chance of ever winning them anything, every season under him is literally a 4-5 month exercise in futility. I'm sure they hate his pressers already.
mcnabbulous
He was actually 9-7 to close out the season. Or 2-1 if I cherry pick a small subset of games to use as my sample size. Better than Chip's 1-2 to end the year.

I don't really give a shit what their fans think of Reid. Fans are idiots. You're a fan. Like I said, hitching his wagon to Smith was a mistake. He's basically in NFL purgatory like us. Not bad enough to get the QB needed to get over the top, but not good enough to be a serious threat.

Both of our team's got unlucky by landing in the top-5 during a weak draft year. Now we find ourselves in the same boat.

It's really possible to have a rational conversation about all of this. Reid is a good, but flawed coach. All coaches have flaws. When you have a great QB, those flaws can be hidden a lot easier.

It's why Mike McCarthy looks like a genius when Rodgers is on the field and a dope when he isn't.

I don't know why you have to be such a douchey, hyperbolic, child about it for years on end.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 29 2014, 10:10 AM) *
It's really possible to have a rational conversation about all of this.

No it isn't - because like a petulant child, you constantly resort to name calling when you are faced with reality and the holes in your logic are pointed out (such as, when you don't 'have a QB' but an all-pro RB you pass 70% of the time).

I would honestly give anything to meet you in person. I'm sure JaxEagle and a couple others would like video of that too.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 29 2014, 09:35 AM) *
I would honestly give anything to meet you in person. I'm sure JaxEagle and a couple others would like video of that too.

Is that a threat? Just trying to clarify what type of Internet tough guy douchebaggery this board has succumbed to.

Your arrival to this board has corresponded with the majority of quality posters leaving. If you're wondering, it's not a coincidence. How many threads do you start or ruin with your obsession with Reid? You spew the same stupid arguments for year after year. You can't seem to accept that having all-pro RB's results in year after year of teams not doing shit in the playoffs. You can't seem to put two and two together that it's because having an all-pro RB is largely worthless unless you have a QB.

The three best RBs in football have a like 2 combined career playoff wins. Marshawn Lynch did virtually nothing until Russell Wilson came along. In fact he was traded from his original team because they couldn't figure that you don't build teams around running backs.

I'd suggest we do meet up, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't get out of the house too often.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 29 2014, 11:06 AM) *
Just trying to clarify what type of Internet tough guy douchebaggery this board has succumbed to.

Look in the mirror then. I bet you're much more polite in person, like the beta male you are.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 29 2014, 10:14 AM) *
Look in the mirror then. I bet you're much more polite in person, like the beta male you are.

I'm extremely polite, but I have no problem telling someone if they're acting like an idiot. You, by regurgitating the same tired shit during your entire stay on this board, are being an idiot.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 29 2014, 11:17 AM) *
but I have no problem telling someone if they're acting like an idiot.

Behind a keyboard at least.....

mcnabbulous
Hey, I'll just leave this here:

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 16 2013, 12:53 PM) *
laugh.gif

Trolling you is so much fun, and even more predictable than Andy's playcalling. You're the Charlie Brown to his Joe Schlabotnik.

...and that might be because the people leaving provocative comments are literally sadists and psychopaths
HOUSEoPAIN
Trolling you is fun, and more predictable than Andy's play calling. We've seen it in this thread. It's also fun to imagine you wetting your pants when confronted. So?
Aquila
Note to HouseOPain and mcnabbulous.

You've been civil to each other recently, so the direction that this thread has taken is disappointing.

Please don't let it happen again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.