Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chip still talking about the 2014 draft?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
"Sometimes after a year, it's tough to evaluate an entire draft class just because of situations," Eagles coach Chip Kelly said. "Guys come in and sometimes you look at a draft class and there are guys that are really good at the positions you already have. So, that doesn't mean that guy's not a good football player, it just means that you have some pretty good guys that are already on your roster at that spot."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...SuuiirhklOMt.99

So if you have talent at a certain spot then why didn't they draft at a position of need? It's not like we only had one hole to fill last offseason.

IMHO Howie tried to get cute by trading back and got caught with his pants down. Pryor was off the board at 18, Brandin Cooks (didn't the Saints move up to get him?) and Clinton-Dix went 20 & 21 respectively. There were still some players left of the board at this point but Howie had to have that all important first pick in the 4th round so he traded with Cleveland.

But, to our dismay DE Dee Ford and CBs Verrett & Denard all went (with Andy moving up to get Ford) and it's hello Marcus Smith. I'm not going to look up the numbers but I'm pretty sure any one of the above three players could've given us more production than Smith/Watkins combined. Epic fail for Howie.

I'm still holding out hope that Smith becomes a player. Hell, it took Brandon Graham 5 years and a scheme change. Howie has a reputation as a wheeler and dealer and this time it cost us. Going forward I hope he focuses more on quality and not quantity.
koolaidluke
I really liked the Eagles draft. Everybody they drafted was durable and productive in college. Matthews and Huff have already shown me a lot and Beau Allen flashed in the pre season.

If one of the other players ends up developing next season then they had a pretty good haul. Remember that 3 productive players makes a good draft. You are going to miss on most of your picks.
JeeQ
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Dec 26 2014, 12:07 PM) *
I really liked the Eagles draft. Everybody they drafted was durable and productive in college. Matthews and Huff have already shown me a lot and Beau Allen flashed in the pre season.

If one of the other players ends up developing next season then they had a pretty good haul. Remember that 3 productive players makes a good draft. You are going to miss on most of your picks.

I've been trying to forget 99% of what Huff showed this season
Eyrie
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 27 2014, 03:47 AM) *
I've been trying to forget 99% of what Huff showed this season

Try remembering the other 107% - it'll make you feel better.

His production at WR has been 99% disappointing though.
nephillymike
I don't think the problem was the trade out of #22.

I wanted Manzel to be there at 22 and I wanted us to trade the pick, which we did. They got unlucky in the guys who went 23-25 as you stated. But they reached for a 3rd round talent at 26. They would have been better to trade back again or draft another position. The reach was the issue.

M.Smith didn't hurt as much as we might have expected. Our pass rush from LB's was decent and Matthews and acho played OK. Problem was it hurt in the db having to live with the three stooges all year.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 27 2014, 06:54 AM) *
M.Smith didn't hurt as much as we might have expected.

Yes, it did. Complete waste of a first round pick, when we could've gotten a DB upgrade, or just about anything else.

I will say I find it interesting that people defend cutting DJax, yet trash the organization for their draft strategy, when you typically don't know what to expect from your picks. Nothing wrong with that criticism of course, and it's well deserved, just funny that those same people will defend tooth and nail cutting a star player for nothing in return.
mcnabbulous
I'm pretty sure Dennard didn't see the field much this year. Don't count on rookies. It's that simple. Rookie corners, specifically, can't be counted on at all. It's one of the most difficult positions/transitions.

Obviously Smith had a disappointing year, but we won't know until next year if he's truly a bust. Year 1 to 2 is where guys make the big leap.

Edit: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/11/19/7250...-but-everything
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 27 2014, 02:16 PM) *
I'm pretty sure Dennard didn't see the field much this year

No shame in not getting playing time your first year on that secondary, on that defense. But on our team, he'd be starting, and probably a big upgrade.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 27 2014, 01:45 PM) *
No shame in not getting playing time your first year on that secondary, on that defense. But on our team, he'd be starting, and probably a big upgrade.

Hard to say. Terrance Newman is a fossil. Not sure he is any better than our stiffs.
nephillymike
Do you think Revis had a chance to start?

Talib?
Davis?

Nah.

This coaching staff probably thought Sconces and Fletch were just a bit better.
mcnabbulous
I don't know what those guys were offered elsewhere, but there are lots of other teams that bid for players. We aren't always a guy's first option.

This is a common theme though. I assume every fanbase thinks this way, but just because our FO may want a guy doesn't mean we are going to land him.

I'm more disappointed that Carroll, the guy we did land, couldn't beat out Fletcher.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 28 2014, 08:19 AM) *
Do you think Revis had a chance to start?

Talib?
Davis?

Nah.

This coaching staff probably thought Sconces and Fletch were just a bit better.

Maybe the team doesn't (currently) have the all in mentality, knowing they are more than a few players away from contention.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 28 2014, 01:02 PM) *
Maybe the team doesn't (currently) have the all in mentality, knowing they are more than a few players away from contention.

Additionally, if you're a big time free agent are you looking to play on a team with Manning/Brady at QB or Nick Foles?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 28 2014, 02:02 PM) *

nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 28 2014, 02:02 PM) *

Hate to break the news to you, but if you go player by player going into this offeseason vs last offseason, overall, you will find we should have been more in an "all in" mode last year vs. this year. Guys like Shady, Peters, Herremans, Mathis, Ryans. Cole were all closer to their prime this year then they will be next year and more next year then the year after that. You saw the OL play drop significantly this year even when all healthy. That continued decline will have a significant impact.

Poker player Howie and some fans didn't realize he had a better hand to play in March '14 then he will in March '15.

Everyone's always waiting for the flopped Full House to put the chips in the middle.

It ain't happening.
mcnabbulous
Unless you have a Brady or Manning type at the twilight of their career, it makes no sense to go all-in. Every other position is easily replaceable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.