Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surprising Marcus Hayes article
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...ankful_for.html

Don't think I ever read an article like this from him...puts things in perspective nicely.
Zero
It is perspective. 2013 and the expectations of a surprising season spoiled us. Despite the burn and crash past three games, this has actually been a fairly remarkable season. Although, as Hayes says, Fletcher and Sanchez don't have the goods to support a sustained NFL drive, Foles performance regressed, plus considering that they lost most of their OL for a large part of the season and their two starting ILB for a several games yet were winning seems to indicate some serious NFL relevance.
Zero
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 26 2014, 06:01 AM) *
It is perspective. 2013 and the expectations of a surprising season spoiled us. Despite the burn and crash past three games, this has actually been a fairly remarkable season. Although, as Hayes says, Fletcher and Sanchez don't have the goods to support a sustained NFL drive, Foles performance regressed, plus considering that they lost most of their OL for a large part of the season and their two starting ILB for a several games yet were winning seems to indicate some serious NFL relevance.

Here's a similar view from Lawlor ... Link
nephillymike
Good feel good points, all in all.

I would add one more in that if you neutralize the schedule, we may have won the division.

We played two different teams than they, us vs CAR and at GB and them vs NO and at CHI.

Swap those two games and we're both 10-5.

Next, take away DAL gift of ten days to prepare for us, while our non existent extra prep for SEA after four Thurs game since they had the same rest as us and we probably win that game vs DALvand even if not, we win the division on tiebreakers. The schedule makers giveth and taketh away.

On the down side, the fans are doing the fandom a disservice by misdirecting the ire. The outcry for our GM, owner's and coaches decision to pocket Jackson's $10M should be so loud so they never should consider such lack of financial commitment ever again. Year after year they use 85% ish of the cap, a commitment dwarfed by that of fan base, yet they naively expect to win a Super Bowl on that tight budget. But instead, we fight amongst ourselves about the right hand while the left hand pockets our chance of a Super Bowl.

#1 in our hearts
#4 in cap room
#14 in the upcoming draft
Tie for last in Super Bowl championships per season

Revis covering Bryant and Jackson vs $10M in the bank and Fletcher.

Stew on that all off season. We should make Howie never forget it.

Never should he forget it.

JeeQ
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 26 2014, 07:34 PM) *
Good feel good points, all in all.

I would add one more in that if you neutralize the schedule, we may have won the division.

We played two different teams than they, us vs CAR and at GB and them vs NO and at CHI.

Swap those two games and we're both 10-5.

Next, take away DAL gift of ten days to prepare for us, while our non existent extra prep for SEA after four Thurs game since they had the same rest as us and we probably win that game vs DALvand even if not, we win the division on tiebreakers. The schedule makers giveth and taketh away.

On the down side, the fans are doing the fandom a disservice by misdirecting the ire. The outcry for our GM, owner's and coaches decision to pocket Jackson's $10M should be so loud so they never should consider such lack of financial commitment ever again. Year after year they use 85% ish of the cap, a commitment dwarfed by that of fan base, yet they naively expect to win a Super Bowl on that tight budget. But instead, we fight amongst ourselves about the right hand while the left hand pockets our chance of a Super Bowl.

#1 in our hearts
#4 in cap room
#14 in the upcoming draft
Tie for last in Super Bowl championships per season

Revis covering Bryant and Jackson vs $10M in the bank and Fletcher.

Stew on that all off season. We should make Howie never forget it.

Never should he forget it.

Testify my brother, testify!

As much as the article pushes a positive outlook it only works if you pretend that the Arizona Cardinals don't exist... they were worse off than us but did ten times more with it. It's the difference between a good coach and a great coach
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 26 2014, 10:34 PM) *

Seriously - we've had 54 years of 'perspective.'

I never thought this team was good enough to contend, but we've taken a step back, and it looks like we will still have some very big holes next year. I get he inherited a 4-12 team, but in reality that 2012 team was coached down to 4-12 - I predicted 9 or 10 wins last year, and 9 this year. Funny, I don't feel 'spoiled.'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.