Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chip Presser
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HOUSEoPAIN
Honeymoon's over.

Very 'chippy' to say the least. The cut-me-off-fast-talk answers were cute sitting at 9-3, but start to get old 3 weeks later at 9-6 and facing no playoffs. Some interesting exchanges there.

mcnabbulous
So exactly as I predicted, while the usual suspects fought me tooth and nail on the topic.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2014, 12:47 PM) *
So exactly as I predicted, while the usual suspects fought me tooth and nail on the topic.

Some of us have jobs. Can you clarify what you're referring to, instead of simply linking us to a year old thread with dozens of posts?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 23 2014, 11:54 AM) *
Some of us have jobs. Can you clarify what you're referring to, instead of simply linking us to a year old thread with dozens of posts?

While everyone was slobbering Chip's nob regarding his witty press conferences, I predicted that as soon as things got tough, his charm would fade. Especially with the media.

I'm still apparently much higher on Chip than lots of people in Philly right now. Expecting any guy to have success with the types of QBs he's been afforded is a nearly impossible task. Without adequate QB play, you'll struggle to make the playoffs. Without good QB play, you'll struggle to win any playoff games. Without great QB play, you'll struggle to win championships.

We didn't have adequate QB play this year.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2014, 01:32 PM) *
I'm still apparently much higher on Chip than lots of people in Philly right now.

It's funny you should say that because I am much more impressed with Chip this season than I was last year. It was this season that made me a believer.

I still feel there is generally a lot of love towards Chip from the fans, I'm not hearing anybody say that they want him gone. There is less hero worship but even that there is still a lot of.

This team is really close. If Nick Foles can stay healthy this is a playoff level team. If Nick Foles can stay healthy, and the offensive line and secondary are fixed, this team is a contender.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Dec 23 2014, 03:00 PM) *
It's funny you should say that because I am much more impressed with Chip this season than I was last year. It was this season that made me a believer.

Year one caught the league off-guard. The fact that we were able to have a great deal of offensive success, without competent QB play, is a testament to Chip.

I still feel there is generally a lot of love towards Chip from the fans, I'm not hearing anybody say that they want him gone. There is less hero worship but even that there is still a lot of.

It's probably healthier this way.

This team is really close. If Nick Foles can stay healthy this is a playoff level team. If Nick Foles can stay healthy, and the offensive line and secondary are fixed, this team is a contender.

Foles is trash. We're not a contender unless we get a great defense (which is years away and very unlikely) or a great QB.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2014, 04:38 PM) *
We're not a contender unless we get a great defense (which is years away and very unlikely) or a great QB.

The front 7 has played admirably (specifically Barwin). Cox seems to be coming into his own and has the makings of a star. Coles is nearing the end same with Ryan. Our achilles heel is in the secondary. I watched the Bengals throw 4-6 DB's on the field against Peyton yesterday and he wilted. We don't need all-pro CB's or Safeties, but we do need defensively sound players who play the system. I think we need quality depth in the secondary. Our offense is quick strike so we need players to rotate in and out to keep the d fresh. Players that aren't obvious targets (ala Bradley Fletcher)

In short, we aren't that far off.

5 Potential FA CB

I'm still high on Chip. Our QB play was atrocious this year. There are 3 losses that can be laid specifically on our inept QB play.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Dec 23 2014, 05:00 PM) *
If Nick Foles can stay healthy....

But he can't. He got injured in 2012, 2013 and 2014. He is definitely a tough guy but we learned this year that even if he isn't injured enough to miss games, he will be a turnover machine until he does go out

I like Foles as a guy who finally got Vick off my team and I know we have few options going forward but it's getting to a point where this 'lets see what we have in Foles' nonsense is as bad as when Vick was here. Vick was garbage but there was a segment of the fanbase who always felt that if we could just get back to 2010 Vick we will be awesome. It's why I wanted him gone.

Foles isn't garbage but he played well for a while last season so people keep hoping he will be what he isn't

I know things could be worse for us at QB (jets, browns, etc..) but I'm tired of pissing away seasons trying to see what we have in kolb or Vick or Foles
JaxEagle
LOL, this thread has good potential...
Birdwatcher
While everyone was slobbering Chip's nob regarding his witty press conferences, I predicted that as soon as things got tough, his charm would fade. Especially with the media.

I'm still apparently much higher on Chip than lots of people in Philly right now. Expecting any guy to have success with the types of QBs he's been afforded is a nearly impossible task. Without adequate QB play, you'll struggle to make the playoffs. Without good QB play, you'll struggle to win any playoff games. Without great QB play, you'll struggle to win championships.

We didn't have adequate QB play this year.

you ever see a Belichek presser after a loss? I have rarely seen a coach, unless the team was dismal all year, not have a 'chippy' press conference after a bad loss. But unlike his predecessor, he at least talked, rather than giving a half dozen 1 word answers before stalking off.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 24 2014, 10:17 AM) *
you ever see a Belichek presser after a loss? I have rarely seen a coach, unless the team was dismal all year, not have a 'chippy' press conference after a bad loss. But unlike his predecessor, he at least talked, rather than giving a half dozen 1 word answers before stalking off.

I maintain that I don't give a shit what coaches say after wins or losses. It's all a different flavor of coach speak. Why everyone gets so bent out of shape over it is a sign that people take this shit far too seriously.

It doesn't change the fact that, as I predicted, Chip's wittiness wouldn't quite play as well when shit got bad.
HOUSEoPAIN

Then your prediction was dead wrong, not surprisingly.

Chip's pressers and interviews in his first year were great. But in reality, he's pretty much been a douchebag since last March/April. Apparently he didn't realize there's no off-season in the NFL, especially in Philly. His pressers and interviews for the last 9 months or so have been noticeably different. The opposite of what you say is true, it's just that he could get away with it when they were sitting at 9-3, not so much when they lose 3 in a row and get eliminated by the Pro Bowler he cut. Andy's BS in pressers held up for years as long as we were winning 11 games every year. I posted this particular link because it shows that the lapdog media has finally had enough, and should make for good entertainment.

His 'charm' left first.
mcnabbulous
That's exactly what I said.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 24 2014, 08:19 PM) *
That's exactly what I said.

You said his charm would wear off when things went bad. I'm saying his charm wore off over the last year, and now it's come to a head after this collapse. Another chicken and egg argument.

Whatever, my position on Chip has been made clear. I'm happy with him.
koolaidluke
I don't think Foles was as bad as people made him out to be. Put Andy Dalton or even Alex Smith in that same situation that Foles was in this season and I think they do worse. And Andy Dalton and Alex Smith is about all you can realistically expect out of a QB.

To be fair, I don't think Sanchez has been nearly as bad as people have made him out to be. But he needs defense, great protection and a strong running game to be successful. Foles was able to win this season even without those things.
Eyrie
I don't expect our head coach to be a constant charmer with the press, regardless of whether he does that with one liners, revealing answers or inflammatory soundbites.

I do expect him to provide us with a winning football team, and Kelly is doing a decent job so far. Fix our porous secondary and we'll all be happy with him, even if his press conferences make us nostalgic for Reid's "I've got to do a better job there".
nephillymike
As "Chippy" as that press conference was, I learned more from it as a fan than any press conference Andy Reid ever gave.

Difference Chip faces is that he doesn't give one on one "off the record" interviews with the media to pacify them like Andy did. It will create less tolerence from them.

While Andy screwed the fans with his insulting press conferences, he at least let some media members in "off the record".

They couldn't reveal what they learned so we were screwed but they were pacified.

This way, I'm more informed.

Still night and day for me. I'd take Chip's pressers any day. Why do I care if guys like Eskin and Sheridan don't get inside info if I never was informed of that info in the past.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 25 2014, 05:52 AM) *
even if his press conferences make us nostalgic for Reid's "I've got to do a better job there".

Never in a million years would I take Reid's pressers over Chip, I'm just pointing out the entertainment potential as the media sours on him. I'd wager within a year we'll have a Jim Mora/Dennis Green blowup of some sort, or more likely a Bob Knight trashing of some hack who thought he was asking a clever question.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.