Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If not Foles, then who?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
I'm posting this here because I didn't want to hijack the Chris Polk thread.

In all seriousness, I'd love to get Mariota but I don't want to give up the farm to do it. (Although JeeQ has a point in that it could be moot if we draft as bad as last year).

So the question becomes if not Foles then who is our QB? I think there are a number of QB's that could be cut loose or made available via trade...

Cam Newton and the Panthers may be heading for a divorce (if rumors are true).

Washington is a mess. Depending on the coaching situation you might be able to grab either RGIII or Cousins.

Johnny Football is in...Brian Hoyer is out?

After a hot start and a big contract extension Matt Ryan hasn't done much. If there's a regime change in Atlanta could he be had?

There's always the flavor of the week backup to Tom Brady.

And, last but not least, Matt Schaub is a local boy waiting by the phone (and on the pine) in Oakland.

Obviously, Cam would be my first choice but is there anyone else who could shake loose that could possibly be our guy here? If Chip is the QB guru then maybe he can work with another reclamation project that might pay more dividends than Sanchez.

mcnabbulous
Maybe another guy in the draft? Brett Hundley?

I'd love to get Mariota, I just don't see it happening. Although I'd give up the farm to do it, because unless we get a QB, we're basically in NFL purgatory.
JaxEagle
Pick based on right now. Foles, AJ Feely or Jay Fiedler? By the way, AJ was an Oregon Duck! LOL
Birdman420
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Dec 19 2014, 05:46 PM) *
Pick based on right now. Foles, AJ Feely or Jay Fiedler? By the way, AJ was an Oregon Duck! LOL

Oh definitely Feely!
JaxEagle
Just a for fun question. Feeley and Fiedler were both more mobile than Foles. Fiedler moved very well and was smart but below average arm in the NFL.
Dreagon
Honestly, picking up somebody else';s retread for a backup is okay but that usually doesn't work as well for a starter. There's generally a good reason the other team doesn't want him anymore. You can point at Manning, but the Colts were tanking and knew they were going to pick up Luck anyway. Brees might be a better example, but he was already known as damn good and it was really a matter of the Chargers thinking he wasn't going to come back from his injury and the Saints gambling that he would. And lets face it, there aren't any Mannings and Brees's out there right now.

I don't think Carolina is going to part ways with Newton, mainly because they already have so much to rebuild at WR and OL that adding QB to that list would be pretty much writing the next three years off. And even if they did, he's no Manning or Brees. He's good, but when you look past all the potential and hype there really isn't anything that screams 'greatness' like he's going to want to be paid like.

I get the feeling Pettine simply doesn't like Johnny Manziel and it wasn't his idea to draft him, so I think there is the outside possibility of a trade there. The problem is they are going to want a first due to the one they gave up for him, and I don't know if he would really be worth that to you guys. He has huge potential, but he really should be viewed as a project.

Seriously, unless you guys find a way to trade up for Mariota or Winston (which I think would cost you a Snyder full of draft picks) you guys best bet would be to either stick with Foles another year and draft a cornerback....or take Dak Prescott or Garrett Grayson and sit them a year or two under Foles.
Eyrie
The most likely scenario to me is that we bring back Sanchez and draft a small school QB who has the right skill set in the middle rounds. Then we sit the rookie for a year whilst Foles and Sanchez battle it out to be the starter.

If Sanchez wins then we will simply be a good team, if Foles wins then it all depends on whether he can overcome his problems from this season. Either way I don't see us as an elite team in 2015.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 20 2014, 05:43 AM) *
The most likely scenario to me is that we bring back Sanchez and draft a small school QB who has the right skill set in the middle rounds. Then we sit the rookie for a year whilst Foles and Sanchez battle it out to be the starter.

If Sanchez wins then we will simply be a good team, if Foles wins then it all depends on whether he can overcome his problems from this season. Either way I don't see us as an elite team in 2015.

Foles at least still has some question/potential to be the guy, though next season if he gets the opportunity he must have a good season. We know Sanchez is a backup, period.

To Dreagon's point about Cam Newton, I generally agree, however Cam with Chip Kelly could elevate Cam to that elite level. If Chip can do what he has done with Sanchez then I think he could do a whole lot more with a guy that is head and shoulders better in every category.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 20 2014, 12:39 AM) *
I get the feeling Pettine simply doesn't like Johnny Manziel

neither does anybody else and certainly not as a solution to the Eagles QB sitch. hopefully we have had our fill of "projects"
koolaidluke
If Foles can stay healthy, I have no doubt he can be a top 10 QB. I see him as better than guys like Smith or Dalton.

But can he stay healthy? The fact that the has been injured in all 3 of his NFL seasons and he just *looks* fragile tells me that he cannot.
mcnabbulous
I think an interesting free agent possibility could be Jake Locker. I'm not sure he has the repetitive accuracy that Chip looks for, but he's certainly familiar with him from college. Locker is athletic and can be a threat in the read-option game.

Has trouble staying healthy though.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 20 2014, 05:43 AM) *

Agreed completely. And really, with the current situation of the Eagles I think that's probably the best way to go.
Eagle2720
Like I mentioned in one of my posts earlier, I like Rakeem Cato out of Marshall, he's got good numbers, led the team to a 13-1 record and a bowl victory, not to mention he's athletic enough to run Chips read option style type of offense
Dreagon
Considering Foles 14-4 as a starter, I'm not really understanding the feeling that you guys need an upgrade in that quarter....especially considering that Sanchez has pretty much matched his loss total in the short time he has been under center.
Eagle2720
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 24 2014, 05:38 PM) *
Considering Foles 14-4 as a starter, I'm not really understanding the feeling that you guys need an upgrade in that quarter....especially considering that Sanchez has pretty much matched his loss total in the short time he has been under center.

Don't get me wrong I love Foles! But the games he was in this year were rough at times and he's been injured for at least some portion of time the last three years, I would just like a good developmental QB that could take the reigns if he goes down again or gets sloppy
Eyrie
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Dec 25 2014, 04:06 AM) *
Don't get me wrong I love Foles! But the games he was in this year were rough at times and he's been injured for at least some portion of time the last three years, I would just like a good developmental QB that could take the reigns if he goes down again or gets sloppy

The question is whether the real Foles is closer to the 2013 superstar or the 2014 liability.

Having a good back up is a matter of luck and a luxury. The shortage of QBs in the league means that anyone capable of starting for more than a handful of games will be grabbed by another team to be their full time starter which is why we have Sanchez - acceptable for a couple of games but not able to carry us for half a season.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.