Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chris Polk Practiced With The Starters, McCoy Watched From The Sidelines
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
Eagles practice began Wednesday with a twist: Chris Polk was running with the first-team offense while LeSean McCoy watched from the sideline.

What does this mean?

Impossible to tell. But it certainly was certainly unusual to see the 2013 NFL rushing leader and two-time all-pro on the sideline while Polk worked with the first unit.

Most of Eagles practice is closed to the media, but the first several sessions are open, and on Wednesday, when the starting offense lined up to walk through a couple running plays, Polk was with the group. He was the only non-starter in the formation.

Polk took two half-speed handoffs from Mark Sanchez and then the group broke up. The first offense didn’t line up again before practice was closed.

McCoy watched the two reps from the sideline while standing next to Darren Sproles.

As the drill ended, McCoy walked over to running backs coach Duce Staley, put his hand on Staley’s left shoulder, and the two could be seen talking for about 15 seconds.

After practice, McCoy said not to read too much into the switch.

“We rotate all the time," he said. "Duce pulled me out. Sproles wasn't in either."

McCoy is fourth in the NFL with 1,132 rushing yards, one fewer than Marshawn Lynch. He led the NFL with 1,607 rushing yards last year.

Polk, a third-year free agent from Washington, has 39 carries for 134 yards this year and three touchdowns. He ran for two TDs against the Cowboys Sunday, his only two carries of the game. He played only three offensive snaps.

McCoy played a season-low 34 of the Eagles’ 55 offensive snaps on Sunday and was 16-for-64 rushing. It was his fewest snaps in a game in two years under Kelly.

In his six NFL seasons, McCoy has 719 rushing yards against the Redskins, 12th-most in history.

McCoy is owed big money next season... There's a good chance he could be the next victim of the DeSean treatment... Prepare for a news article in the next few weeks calling McCoy a "gangsta" and a "thug" laugh.gif

Will Culture (Cheapness) >>> Talent strike again?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 18 2014, 10:20 AM) *
McCoy is owed big money next season... There's a good chance he could be the next victim of the DeSean treatment... Prepare for a news article in the next few weeks calling McCoy a "gangsta" and a "thug" laugh.gif

Will Culture (Cheapness) >>> Talent strike again?

Again, these are sensationalist articles designed to fill up a 24 hour news cycle, just like the non-story about Jay Gruden praising Maclin.

Though, it would be interesting to see the entire Philly media go from blowing Chip to turning on him, if he were to cut McCoy and name Polk as our starter for next year. But I think he's too much of a 'genius' to do so.....
JaxEagle
I'm not sure if it is more impressive or more sad that McCoy is the Eagles all-time leading rusher within 6 seasons. I loved me some Duce and B Rabbit though!

EDIT: Yes, I do think McCoy taking a breather in practice is a non-story at this point. One bad thing about the internet era is that we deal with so much more speculation and conspiracy theory mentality than before. I am more of a fact guy than a guessing game guy.
Phits
I hope it is an issue. McCoy likes to dance around in the backfield a little too much for my liking. Problem is, his ego won't allow him to learn the lesson.

Toe the line, or there's the door. He can take his twitter outbursts and baby mama drama somewhere else. Good RB's are a dime a dozen. Package him up with some picks and get us our QB.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 18 2014, 11:49 AM) *
I hope it is an issue. McCoy likes to dance around in the backfield a little too much for my liking. Problem is, his ego won't allow him to learn the lesson.

Toe the line, or there's the door. He can take his twitter outbursts and baby mama drama somewhere else. Good RB's are a dime a dozen. Package him up with some picks and get us our QB.

Have you ever considered applying to work in the Phillies front office? Perhaps the Raiders? I'm sure with brilliant analysis such as your offering above, and your willingness to cut star players in a heartbeat, you would fit right in. It has to be a pay upgrade to whatever you're doing now.....
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 18 2014, 12:04 PM) *
Have you ever considered applying to work in the Phillies front office? Perhaps the Raiders? I'm sure with brilliant analysis such as your offering above, and your willingness to cut star players in a heartbeat, you would fit right in. It has to be a pay upgrade to whatever you're doing now.....

OJ Simpson, Barry Sanders, Edgerrin James, Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Eric Dickerson, LaDainian Tomlinson....some of the greatest RB's in NFL history. 0 Superbowl championships.

I believe that a team builds stars, stars don't build the team. I would gladly take a team of unknowns over a team full of "stars" if it gets me a championship. In the case of a RB, I long for a RB that (actually) consistently gives me 4+ yards per carry then one that breaks of a big run or two per game to help boost their ypc average. I use the 8+ marker for WR's. I don't care much for the big play. Keep moving the chains.
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 18 2014, 07:39 AM) *
Again, these are sensationalist articles designed to fill up a 24 hour news cycle, just like the non-story about Jay Gruden praising Maclin.

Though, it would be interesting to see the entire Philly media go from blowing Chip to turning on him, if he were to cut McCoy and name Polk as our starter for next year. But I think he's too much of a 'genius' to do so.....

By the end of this weekend there might be a lot less Eagles football to talk about so I expect the most sensationalized stories to come out this week laugh.gif

Though this move honestly wouldn't surprise me...

Howie: Do you think we really "need" a LeSean McCoy?
Chip: Well we could most likely get the same production with a Polk and Sproles combination
Lurie: It would save a lot of cap space for us not to use
Howie: Then we could draft the next McCoy like we drafted the next Jackson this season
Chip: A RB with Culture... I think I know a good one who used to play for me back at Oregon
Lurie: Well Boys... it sounds like we got another Salary Cap Championship on our hands!

*Jumping Triple Hi-Five!*
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 18 2014, 12:43 PM) *
Though this move honestly wouldn't surprise me...

Howie: Do you think we really "need" a LeSean McCoy?
Chip: Well we could most likely get the same production with a Polk and Sproles combination
Lurie: It would save a lot of cap space for us not to use
Howie: Then we could draft the next McCoy like we drafted the next Jackson this season
Chip: A RB with Culture... I think I know a good one who used to play for me back at Oregon
Lurie: Well Boys... it sounds like we got another Salary Cap Championship on our hands!

*Jumping Triple Hi-Five!*

laugh.gif

I guess playing against Chip in college is the next best thing, as Polk did. He still has some 'honeymoon capital' as you can tell from the media and his blindly loyal fans who think he's a genius. However, if he doesn't start producing some real results soon, you're going to see a polar shift that could get very ugly. Missing the playoffs this year will begin that. He better hope his 'clubhouse cancer' doesn't torch us tomorrow.

*edit - on that note, once the media turned against Andy the press conferences became unbearably boring other than a dickhead comment here and there by him. Once the media turns on Chip the press conferences will make Dennis Green, Jim Mora, and Bob Knight look like Ben Stein. devil03.gif
mcnabbulous
Damn. I knew Andy's success spoiled ya'll but this is some crazy shit going on here.

Chip has a chance of going to playoffs in two different years with his backup QB. Very few guys in NFL history have done that. Chip's got a chance in his first two seasons.

Bill Belichick has gone to the playoffs with two different QBs in his career.

It's really hard to win in this league if you don't have a QB. Chill out a bit and wait until we have one before running Chip out the door. The rest of the shit is largely irrelevant.
HOUSEoPAIN
Damn. I knew Andy's success spoiled ya'll but this is some crazy shit going on here.

More like jaded.

Chip has a chance of going to playoffs in two different years with his backup QB. Very few guys in NFL history have done that.

Several coaches have won Super Bowls with their backups. I just checked, it appears the 11-3 Cardinals are going with Ryan Lindley over Logan Thomas this weekend..... rolleyes.gif

It's really hard to win in this league if you don't have a QB. Chill out a bit and wait until we have one before running Chip out the door.

I'm not running Chip out of town at all. I expected nothing more than a fruitless playoff appearance, and it looks like at best we might get that. I'm just pointing out the circus that is our media and idiotic fan base. They've put this guy on a pedestal that in this town can only lead to disaster - he's a 'genius' who's never won anything at any level. Unless this changes rather soon, it's only a matter of time before the other shoe drops. I think he's a very good coach and we're going in a positive direction, but it's also extremely important for fans and the media to call him out when he does remarkably stupid shit, instead of grasping at straws to defend him, and to go "oooh, aaah, it's all part of the genius's master plan." (e.g., cutting DJax, pooch kicking to Patterson, having Foles pass 62 times in a game, etc.) You can't have it both ways.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 18 2014, 02:07 PM) *
Missing the playoffs this year will begin that. He better hope his 'clubhouse cancer' doesn't torch us tomorrow.

*edit - on that note, once the media turned against Andy the press conferences became unbearably boring other than a dickhead comment here and there by him. Once the media turns on Chip the press conferences will make Dennis Green, Jim Mora, and Bob Knight look like Ben Stein. devil03.gif

Jackson burning this team on a few huge plays to effectively end the season may be the most public yet of this teams many humiliations.

As much as it would suck, at the end of the day I'd probably just shrug it off because the ensuing talk radio might be some of the juiciest I've heard in my 20ish years as a fan.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Dec 18 2014, 01:54 PM) *
As much as it would suck, at the end of the day I'd probably just shrug it off because the ensuing talk radio might be some of the juiciest I've heard in my 20ish years as a fan.

Precisely. If I were Chip/Billy, I'd have him double teamed on every play, no matter what else happens.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 18 2014, 12:48 PM) *
I'm not running Chip out of town at all. I expected nothing more than a fruitless playoff appearance, and it looks like at best we might get that. I'm just pointing out the circus that is our media and idiotic fan base. They've put this guy on a pedestal that in this town can only lead to disaster - he's a 'genius' who's never won anything at any level. Unless this changes rather soon, it's only a matter of time before the other shoe drops. I think he's a very good coach and we're going in a positive direction, but it's also extremely important for fans and the media to call him out when he does remarkably stupid shit, instead of grasping at straws to defend him, and to go "oooh, aaah, it's all part of the genius's master plan." (e.g., cutting DJax, pooch kicking to Patterson, having Foles pass 62 times in a game, etc.) You can't have it both ways.

I'll credit your consistency. I just think your standard for NFL head coaches is whacked. As I said when Andy was around, 31 other fanbases are bitching about the same shit we bitch about with him.

If you sat down and watched 16 games of any other team in football, you'd find yourself complaining about the same shit you complain about here.
koolaidluke
More impressive than the wins is just how good the offense has been. 24.7 points per game with Foles/Sanchez at the helm. On TATE, AF was saying that that ranks 10th in the league in offensive scoring (that is taking away defensive and ST scores) which is very impressive considering that the Eagles offense has one special skill position player (Maclin), a mediocre offensive line and a below average QB.

The only criticism I have of Kelly's O is that it seems to regularly implode against good defenses. Last year the Eagles did basically nothing on offense against the Cardinals and the Saints and this year the Eagles O scored literally 0 points against San Fran. Seattle's D is so dominant that I will just dismiss that game but the Eagles didn't do much against the Cards. There does seem to be a trend going all the way back to Oregon of Kelly's offenses absolutely pulverizing bad, mediocre and even decent defenses but then doing nothing against good ones.

I have been a Kelly skeptic but am now a believer. If the Eagles drop one of the next two games I might waver a bit but until the Eagles lose to a bad team any criticism doesn't really make sense.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 18 2014, 03:01 PM) *
If you sat down and watched 16 games of any other team in football, you'd find yourself complaining about the same shit you complain about here.

Going on other teams message boards and you will see them all complaining about their coaches just like we do here. The only difference is they aren't quite as nice about it.
Birdman420
I don't see any relevance to this story and what's going on with our team. Sounds like someone needed to report something and pulled this out of their arse.
HobbEs
McCoy will be the centerpiece of the trade that gets us Marcus Mariotta. They want to lessen his load and preserve his value. They also want to see if Polk can be the #1 back before bringing in another guy. If McCoy has a lighter load these next two weeks that will be the telltale sign.

At least that's what my crystal ball says... cool.gif
JaxEagle
Makes a little sense Hobbes but I am just not sold on investing so much in Mariota. If we get him I would be happy if I were way off base but I am not in favor of the move. I like the Cam Newton idea better.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Dec 19 2014, 08:14 AM) *
McCoy will be the centerpiece of the trade that gets us Marcus Mariotta. They want to lessen his load and preserve his value. They also want to see if Polk can be the #1 back before bringing in another guy. If McCoy has a lighter load these next two weeks that will be the telltale sign.

I hope you're right, but I can't imagine any sensible team trading the #1 overall pick (and a chance at a franchise QB) for any package centered around a 27 year old RB.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 19 2014, 11:26 AM) *
I hope you're right, but I can't imagine any sensible team trading the #1 overall pick (and a chance at a franchise QB) for any package centered around a 27 year old RB.

If it were real he would only be the centerpiece of current players. There's be multiple picks I'd guess as well as perhaps current players. Multiple picks and established players is a gamble for sure.
JeeQ
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Dec 19 2014, 06:14 AM) *

The Redskins traded three first-round picks and a second-round selection for the St. Louis Rams' No. 2 overall selection.

Expect the same or more for the chance to draft Marcus Mariota... are we willing to hedge the next few seasons on him?

Though to be honest it's not like we've been knocking it out of the park with 1st round draft picks as of late...

Marcus Smith, Eagles: (26th overall pick) Grade: F

General manager Howie Roseman insists Smith was the top player on his board when the Eagles drafted him in May, but the linebacker has been nothing short of an enigma. With coach Chip Kelly hinting that the rookie needs to show more in practice, Smith has played just 74 snaps all season and none since Week 12.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000044...t-picks-defense
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Dec 19 2014, 01:15 PM) *
If it were real he would only be the centerpiece of current players. There's be multiple picks I'd guess as well as perhaps current players. Multiple picks and established players is a gamble for sure.

his age is going up along with his mega salary while its likely his production will go down....thats not a deal sweetener
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.