Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jay Gruden sinking his own ship
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Just when you think Washington can't get any worse their HC lumps praises on our #1 WR
“Type of guy you want. Accountable guys that when the game’s on the line they have no problem making the play, and Jeremy’s done that.”

and then says

“We haven’t seen the DeSean we need to see.”

Why would he go on record with that? It may not seem like much of a slam, but when you are dealing with prima donnas he might as well have spit in his face. Maybe he is already sick of the Washington stint. Hopefully it isn't motivation for Saturday's game. We certainly don't need DeSean going off on the Eagles pylon aka Bradley Fletcher; especially considering how suspect we are to the long ball.

LINK
mcnabbulous
Sure seems like he is itching to get fired. Especially with his RG3 comments today, too.
JeeQ
So... You, Jay Gruden, Rookie Coach With 3-11 Record... have shown animosity towards not just your starting QB, but now your #1 WR... so you essentially dislike the two highest paid players on your team that your GM and Owner have banked the entire future on...

Jay Gruden... welcome to uneployment
koolaidluke
what is the deal with firing coaches after one year? If you aren't going to give the guy a chance, don't hire him in the first place.
JeeQ
Excuse the double post but I can only hope this backfires in his face... instead of RGIII/DJax putting the dagger in the Eagles season I hope they lay down on the field and give up on every play
HOUSEoPAIN
I clicked the link, saw Reuben Frank's fat mug, and went: rolleyes.gif

He's known for crap like this. Did any of you actually read the article?

This is the actual quote with context, which you purposely butchered mid-sentence:

“He’s a very good wide receiver but … the last couple weeks he’s been dealing with an injury and he hasn’t been quite the same,” he said. “I’m a ‘what-have-you-done-for-me-lately’ kind of guy and lately we haven’t seen the DeSean we need to see.

“So hopefully the motivation of playing against Philadelphia and hopefully he’s 100 percent healthy will have a big impact.

“He can definitely take the top off, and we’re going to have to get some big plays against Philadelphia because we don’t want to be stuck having to go 80 yards in 15 plays every drive, so big plays are going to be a key, key element to our success Saturday.”

In other words, he's been nursing an injury, we need him to get back to normal, and if he's 100% he'll make big plays. What's the problem?

And as for Maclin, you must not have noticed this about their relationship, stated in the article:

Gruden raved Tuesday about Maclin, who he worked with on the Missouri campus in Columbia, Mo., when Maclin was preparing for the combine after the 2008 season.

“He’s a consistent pro, man,” he said. “I love the way he plays, his approach to the football game.

“He’s tough and it seems like whenever Philly needs a big play, third down and long or they’re trailing, Maclin seems to always show up."

Maclin said that after his junior year at Missouri, his agent arranged for Gruden -- who was then between NFL jobs -- to work with him for three days on principles of the West Coast Offense.

"He's my guy," Maclin said after practice Tuesday. "I had played in a spread offense at Missouri, so he came in and he was basically my coach for three days, teaching me the West Coast Offense and the different routes I needed to learn so I could be prepared at the Combine. That was a great experience."

Five years later, Gruden remains a big fan of Maclin.

“Type of guy you want," Gruden said. "Accountable guys that when the game’s on the line they have no problem making the play, and Jeremy’s done that.

“I had a great chance when he was a senior in college to work him out before the combine and spend three days with him, and I know he’s a great kid and I’m happy for him.”

So he has a strong personal relationship with Maclin, and gives him deserved praise.

Honestly, a thread about DJax's gang ties would be more relevant.....
Phits
where there is smoke, there is fire

Gruden said the injury is affecting Jackson but also said he’d like to see more from the seventh-year veteran.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 16 2014, 05:25 PM) *
He's known for crap like this. Did any of you actually read the article?

Rube's not so bad. But to your point, it seems the ultimate point is not so much what Gruden said as how Jackson will react to it. If Jackson uses it as motivation it becomes a good thing, if he feels dissed by it then he could very well check out. Hasn't that been his MO?

Not sure how Danny Boy will react to this, but the RGIII drama is hysterical and if it's repeated with DJax the comedy in D.C. will hit new highs. jumpclap.gif
mcnabbulous
Still not sure why anyone discusses having Maclin or DJax. It never had to be one or the other. After this season, we could potentially wind up with neither (although I don't see that happening).
make_it_rain
He probably is itching to get fired. That team is a complete dumpster fire and he signed a five year, fully guaranteed contract. Snyder would take a complete bath if they canned him, but he's shown before that doesn't stop him.

What would you rather do...grind out a four year bataan death march of losing with a team full of divas and a meddling owner, or get paid seven figures to just chill for the next four years (if you so choose)?

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Dec 17 2014, 09:12 AM) *
He probably is itching to get fired. That team is a complete dumpster fire and he signed a five year, fully guaranteed contract.

He should have realized what a dumpster fire he was stepping in to when they agreed to give him a five year, fully guaranteed contract.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 17 2014, 10:21 AM) *
He should have realized what a dumpster fire he was stepping in to when they agreed to give him a five year, fully guaranteed contract.

He probably did, hence the good contract.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 17 2014, 10:32 AM) *

exactly...
JaxEagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 17 2014, 10:00 AM) *
Still not sure why anyone discusses having Maclin or DJax. It never had to be one or the other. After this season, we could potentially wind up with neither (although I don't see that happening).

It didn't have to be one or the other. It had to be no Jackson. The Eagles coach has no use for him in his program. After watching that little ass clown this year in Washington, they can keep his long bomb touchdowns and his all about me gangsta self. Obviously Chip is well aware that Jackson can stretch the field and still felt that his on field value was overshadowed by his other negatives.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Dec 17 2014, 10:13 AM) *
It didn't have to be one or the other. It had to be no Jackson. The Eagles coach has no use for him in his program. After watching that little ass clown this year in Washington, they can keep his long bomb touchdowns and his all about me gangsta self. Obviously Chip is well aware that Jackson can stretch the field and still felt that his on field value was overshadowed by his other negatives.

I get it, Chip didn't like the dude. I just don't have to like it.

Bleh...I'll get over it. Just would have loved to have seen the two dudes in Chip's offense together. We were robbed of that two years in a row.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 17 2014, 09:32 AM) *

Yeah, I know. You'd have to be blind to not see that mess from a mile away.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 17 2014, 09:27 AM) *
I get it, Chip didn't like the dude. I just don't have to like it.

Bleh...I'll get over it. Just would have loved to have seen the two dudes in Chip's offense together. We were robbed of that two years in a row.

You and me both brother...

I still don't fully buy into Culture >>> Talent... Especially when Talent continues to kick our ass every time we go against it... Unless we're trying to build a Culture of losing to every playoff team we face then we're golden

The best part though is Riley Cooper has been more of a team distraction than Jackson was in his entire tenure here but Jackson is the "bad guy"

Wait that's not the best part... the best part is Cooper is a distraction and fucking sucks and he gets a pay raise and a contract extension
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.