Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This game was trash
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Was pretty clear early on the way they were letting the Seattle DBs play that we were going to have very little chance to move the ball.

Apparently the refs call the fewest penalties in the NFL, which plays right into Seattle's favor.

Thought our defense played admirably given the circumstances.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 7 2014, 07:32 PM) *

Our front 7 played admirably, it's quite clear that our secondary needs an upgrade.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 7 2014, 07:32 PM) *
One of those circumstances being Russell Wilson. Pretty good QB there, who is far from being just a running QB.

HOUSEoPAIN
To go off-topic, 70,000 pissed off fans are in the process of going home while a major 'die-in' protest is scheduled in the Sports Complex. A good formula for headlines.
mcnabbulous
According to Twitter it doesn't sound like it caused too much of a problem. Some people seemed inconvenienced, which I believe was the point.
D Rock
This loss is 100% on the refs. Worst. Officiated. Game. EVER!

They gave them their first 10 points. Total horse shit!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 7 2014, 07:30 PM) *

After our first 3-out when they mauled our receivers on two of the three passes, I knew it was going to be a long day.

This should tell you a bit about the crew that was involved:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/201...-bill-vinovich/
SAM I Am
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 7 2014, 08:30 PM) *

Yes, this was the worst officiated game the Birds had to deal with this season without a doubt, but I wouldn't say it was 100% on them.

Our offense didn't do dick.
Zero
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 7 2014, 08:30 PM) *

I like the "just let 'em play" style of calling games as long as they call it the same both ways. I didn't think this crew did that. That 41 yd PI call was bullshit, especially the way their DBs were playing our receivers.
Zero
And let's not forget the Seahawk first down pass play that had one of their OL down the field 20 yards before the ball was thrown. mad.gif
Phits
They were 7/16 on 3rd down (including several 3rd and really long situations). They abused our secondary all continuously. We were 2/11 on 3rd down. With that kind of futility it is (near) impossible to muster any momentum.

The refs certainly played their part, but our poor play was a much bigger factor. We failed to sustain drives and end theirs. Simply put, we were outclassed....even though our front 7 was outstanding.
nephillymike
when you only put up 139 yards of total offense, it's a beat down.

Things that I saw that were significant IMO:

1. Our lack of getting the TE's or RB's in the passing game. One time we did and Ertz got a TD. If they can cover our WR's, I don't think their LB's can cover Ertz and Sproles. Did we ever hit a RB in the flat?

2. On the INT by Sanchez, Matthews was all by himself on the left sideline. Would have been down inside the 10 yard line if not a TD all together.

3. I thought we did a good job on the running game, except for a few runs by Wilson that we sured up in the 2nd half.

4. Jenkins needs to catch that INT. It's been a while since he made a play.

5. QB's can throw in Fletcher's direction all day because even if you under throw it, it will be pass interference and even on the very rare occasion that he turns around, he ain't catching it anyway. He absolutely blows. It's time for Nolan Carroll to quit the team. If he ain't better than Fletcher, or if he is and he's not getting his shot, then he needs to play elsewhere because either he is the worst CB in the league or he'll never get a shot here.

6. Saw Sanchez' limitations today. I thought he should have run some keepers to make that facet a threat.

7. Wilson is a better QB than I gave him credit for. He won the game today when we shut down most of the runs with Lynch. We had a shot at a pick six INT (Jenkins) and a near the goal line INT (Fletcher) but we ain't good enough.

8. So glad we kept that cap room at the end of the off season and decided not to sign better CB's. That decision will never come back to haunt us.

I agree it's not the end of the world, but like the stat says, our chances for a first round bye just dropped from 75% to 19% based on that game alone, with ARI win even dropping it further down from there. If you are an Eagles junkie who needs to see an Eagles game every week, that loss just secured that as we won't have a bye.

It will be a real tough game next Sunday. If we win, it will be a nail biter. 10 days to prepare after us coming off a physical beat down is a lot to overcome in a divisional revenge situation. A win and we win the division by beating either WAS or NYG. A loss and we need to win the last two plus have DAL lose to INDY or WAS and we win the tiebreaker on the better division record 5-1 to 4-2. Both which likely result in the #3 seed.

Strange shit happens, we'll see.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 7 2014, 10:29 PM) *
It will be a real tough game next Sunday. If we win, it will be a nail biter. 10 days to prepare after us coming off a physical beat down is a lot to overcome in a divisional revenge situation. A win and we win the division by beating either WAS or NYG. A loss and we need to win the last two plus have DAL lose to INDY or WAS and we win the tiebreaker on the better division record 5-1 to 4-2. Both which likely result in the #3 seed.

Strange shit happens, we'll see.

A win Sun night makes the magic number 1 .... either a win against WAS/NYG or any Dallas loss in the last 2 does it.

mcnabbulous
We obviously didn't play well, but the way the refs called things largely dictated that. Because the DBs were able to do anything they wanted, Seattle was able to focus on shutting down the run. We were consistently finding ourselves in 3rd and long as a result. Then the defense could pin their ears back and rush Sanchez. He's not the type of QB who can thrive in that situation. Few are.

It was Sanchez vs. Wilson in what is a clear disadvantage. Allowing the Seahawks to get every call (and non-call) put us at an insurmountable disadvantage.
HOUSEoPAIN
I agree it's not the end of the world, but like the stat says, our chances for a first round bye just dropped from 75% to 19% based on that game alone, with ARI win even dropping it further down from there. If you are an Eagles junkie who needs to see an Eagles game every week, that loss just secured that as we won't have a bye.

Thankfully SF decided to do us a huge favor and take themselves out of the playoff picture with a pathetic collapse against Oakland - they travel to Seattle next week where they'll be all but eliminated. Now all we have to worry about is not being the 11-5 team that's left out of the equation. It sure looks like that will happen to either us, Dallas, or Detroit. Must win next week.

D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 8 2014, 01:46 AM) *
I like the "just let 'em play" style of calling games as long as they call it the same both ways. I didn't think this crew did that. That 41 yd PI call was bullshit, especially the way their DBs were playing our receivers.

Agreed. Fletch turned for the ball and the WR was all over his back. When they threw the flag I was SURE it was Offensive PI. I couldn't believe that call.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 8 2014, 02:03 AM) *
They were 7/16 on 3rd down (including several 3rd and really long situations). They abused our secondary all continuously. We were 2/11 on 3rd down. With that kind of futility it is (near) impossible to muster any momentum.

The refs certainly played their part, but our poor play was a much bigger factor. We failed to sustain drives and end theirs. Simply put, we were outclassed....even though our front 7 was outstanding.

At least 3 of those came on defensive penalties.
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 8 2014, 08:05 PM) *
Agreed. Fletch turned for the ball and the WR was all over his back. When they threw the flag I was SURE it was Offensive PI. I couldn't believe that call.

Ditto - Fletcher had a chance to intercept the ball and the WR was nowhere near getting his hands in the same zip code.
JeeQ
To be honest I'm not even upset... the game was actually better than I initially anticipated...

Just for fun... pretend Mark Sanchez never was an Eagle... now imagine Mark Sanchez going against the Super Bowl defending Champions... 24-14 sounds pretty damn good all of a sudden... especially considering that Peyton Manning and the Broncos lost to this same team 43-8 in the Super Bowl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.