Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best catch I've ever seen
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
By Odell Beckham. That was unbelievable.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 23 2014, 09:08 PM) *
By Odell Beckham. That was unbelievable.

I can't think of a better catch I've ever seen, even by Megatron or Jerry Rice.

nephillymike
I texted eight friends the same thing.

Zero
Makes me queasy that he's in NY and not in Philadelphia.
CT_Eagle
Avant's catch last season was pretty close. I give Beckham's the edge because of the close coverage.

Gadson had one for the Dolphins that may be better.

That is two similar catches in the recent past. Beckham's catch was awesome but to label it the "best ever" is a stretch.
Phits
It is the best live catch I have ever seen. However, I have seen better catches in replays. Especially at the college level.
mcnabbulous
Here are a handful of good ones compiled. I still think Beckham's was the best, because of the circumstances (being interfered with, resulting in TD)

http://rabbithole.deadspin.com/these-catch...hams-1662763151
Dreagon
That catch was scary good.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 24 2014, 05:27 PM) *
Here are a handful of good ones compiled. I still think Beckham's was the best, because of the circumstances (being interfered with, resulting in TD)

http://rabbithole.deadspin.com/these-catch...hams-1662763151

If you factor in circumstance, Tyree's SB catch was significantly better. The defender (Harrison) was mugging him and he still managed to pin the ball to his helmet and make the catch.
mcnabbulous
I always considered the Tyree catch more luck than skill, which factors into my personal rankings.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 25 2014, 10:25 AM) *
I always considered the Tyree catch more luck than skill, which factors into my personal rankings.

It is surprisingly difficult to find any quality one handed catches (NFL) by the master "Cris Carter". This one is from college.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 25 2014, 08:20 AM) *
If you factor in circumstance, Tyree's SB catch was significantly better. The defender (Harrison) was mugging him and he still managed to pin the ball to his helmet and make the catch.

The whole play was luck. I still can't believe Eli wasn't sacked, he threw up a floater for grabs, and Tyree managed to outduel the way-past-his-prime Harrison, who made a poor play on the ball. Tyree accidentally trapped the ball to his helmet, and had the awareness to get his other hand on the ball.

That doesn't mean it doesn't deserve consideration as one of the greatest plays ever, but Beckham's catch was pure ability.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 25 2014, 11:43 AM) *
The whole play was luck. I still can't believe Eli wasn't sacked, he threw up a floater for grabs, and Tyree managed to outduel the way-past-his-prime Harrison, who made a poor play on the ball. Tyree accidentally trapped the ball to his helmet, and had the awareness to get his other hand on the ball.

That doesn't mean it doesn't deserve consideration as one of the greatest plays ever, but Beckham's catch was pure ability.

I think most great plays involve some measure of luck and circumstance. Tyree trapping the ball and having the wherewithal to make sure he secured the ball wasn't luck. He out jumped an "over the hill" Harrison for the ball. Luckily, Tyree landed on Rodney or else the ball might have hit the ground and he might not have secured the catch.
Birdman420
I would put this catch by Beckum at the top of my list of greatest catches of all time for sure. I do remember a certain catch and back flip over the defender by A.J. Greene I think....

Beckum's catch was a result of pure ability and skill, He actually practices making grabs like that during practice and warm-ups all of the time.

My curiosity is how a pair of NFL WR gloves feel and how sticky is the padding on the hands? Would he have been able to do it bare-handed?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.