Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What this Packers Game Told Me
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
It was a very sobering experience. As far as hard cold slaps of reality games in Eagles history, I 'd put this one right up there.

Those games are games where either you think you are better than the team we're playing, or very close to that team, and the result of the game gives you a reality slap for where we are and where the other team is.

In big losses in Eagles history, I never thought Arizona Carolina or Tampa was better than us even after they beat us in those two NFCCGs. I never was in awe of NE after they beat us in the SB. Hindsight says that if they weren't cheating, we'd probably have a Lombardi now.

This was different.

We all knew they had Rodgers and the Lambeau mystique and we had our corners.

However, our D had improved. Our CB play had even elevated itself to almost serviceable as of late. Could we hang in there?

We had the better lines, both offensive and defensive. We had become a sack machine.

We had the better ST's. Probably the better coaching and play calling. The better RB's.

Sure we had concerns at LB, but we could cover it up, right?

The reality hit hard. Our CB's are so bad, they are not good enough to get us deep in the playoffs, and may not get us past Romo twice, or Wilson once. They are that bad. If we don't replace them, they will turn a 11-5 playoff participant into a 10-6 playoff spectator. Why Fletcher and not Sconces? Rodgers prefers to throw to the right and Nelson prefers to catch from that side. Put Sconces on that side and it would have been uglier. They suck! They suck sooo bad. They will be picked on relentlessly by Romo and Wilson and we will have to have outstanding games in other facets in those games to compete. Is Carroll really that bad that he can't replace them? Is Boykin's height that big of a concern? Watching Sconces disinterest in tackling Lacy on that one TD run, I don't know how as a coach you can let him start with that lack of effort. This is the same guy who's horse collar tackle cost us the Saints game.

I don't get it. Carroll was rated way higher than Fletcher or Sconces last year when he played for Miami, which was a better defense than we were. Now he's not good enough?

The play calling. Our best offensive weapons this year are Maclin, Sproles and Ertz. why the tough time getting the ball into their hands? Is Sanchez that limited that he can't throw their routes?

Why sit Sproles? His lack of touches amazes me. He needs to touch the ball on offense, ten times a game. Polk needs at least 6. Shady will have to live with it, or start gaining the 5+ yards per carry they have.

The only game that comes close for me is in 1993 (or 92?) after we won a playoff game against New Orleans, we went into Dallas and Reggie White and our DLine was manhandled by Dallas. That day was sobering. They were that much of a better team and on the rise. It was a reality check. I thought we were the better team but I was way off. The GB loss was like that. There's a huge difference between teams.

Reality is tough sometimes........................................
koolaidluke
I can't read anything into the game because it is so obvious the Packers played their best game and the Eagles played their worst.

The Eagles secondary is a little shaky but the biggest problem right now is Sanchez.
Eyrie
I think that the main reason that Sproles' touches on offense are limited is to keep him fresh for punt returns, given the mileage that he already has.

Worth noting that he is used more on third downs, which would suggest that Kelly is trying to maximise his impact when he is on offense.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 21 2014, 11:53 PM) *
It was a very sobering experience. As far as hard cold slaps of reality games in Eagles history, I 'd put this one right up there.

We all knew they had Rodgers and the Lambeau mystique and we had our corners.

I predicted 44-17, so other than the torture of watching us suck, there was no surprise or reality check.

The 'Lambeau mystique' is more about GB having Hall of Fame QB's and Super Bowl contending teams for the past 2 decades than anything else. I find it hard to believe that 80,000 retards wearing a piece of cheese on their head and chanting 'go packers go!' a couple dozen times in 3 hours would lead to victory if Bobby Hoying were starting for them, regardless of how cold it is. They're an excellent organization, and keep churning out a good product every year.

We both agree Sproles and McCoy should be on the field together more, and I would like Sproles to get a few more touches myself.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 22 2014, 12:53 AM) *
The GB loss was like that. There's a huge difference between teams.

Not quite. The big difference is GB is hot, despite the 3 TD drubbing handed to them by the Saints. They were hammered 44-23 that game. I challenge anybody who suggests that the Saints are better than GB.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 22 2014, 05:26 PM) *
Not quite. The big difference is GB is hot, despite the 3 TD drubbing handed to them by the Saints. They were hammered 44-23 that game. I challenge anybody who suggests that the Saints are better than GB.

That was a tie game with GB on the move when Rodgers pulled a hammie during the game rendering him immobile and not allowing him normal velocity on his throws. That was a game changer.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 21 2014, 11:53 PM) *
The only game that comes close for me is in 1993 (or 92?) after we won a playoff game against New Orleans, we went into Dallas and Reggie White and our DLine was manhandled by Dallas. That day was sobering. They were that much of a better team and on the rise. It was a reality check. I thought we were the better team but I was way off. The GB loss was like that. There's a huge difference between teams.

Reality is tough sometimes........................................

So.....you think green Bay was the reason that corners played press and forgot to press? You think it was GB who made every player look like they were just learning the game? Josh Huff to overrun a punt returner waiting for the ball?

There was a huge difference...it was one team was hot and prepared to play and the other was the Eagles. I blame Chip Kelly and Billy Davis......especially Davis. Sanchez? They failed him.....allowing a game to get out of hand and then expecting him to carry you back with his arm in 15 degree weather?

Had it been a playoff game I would get it but these games happen all the time.....maybe the Patriots are not as good as the Chiefs?!!?

I am starting to think you are actually Angelo Cataldi Mikey.....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 22 2014, 05:45 PM) *
So.....you think green Bay was the reason that corners played press and forgot to press? You think it was GB who made every player look like they were just learning the game? Josh Huff to overrun a punt returner waiting for the ball?

There was a huge difference...it was one team was hot and prepared to play and the other was the Eagles. I blame Chip Kelly and Billy Davis......especially Davis. Sanchez? They failed him.....allowing a game to get out of hand and then expecting him to carry you back with his arm in 15 degree weather?

Had it been a playoff game I would get it but these games happen all the time.....maybe the Patriots are not as good as the Chiefs?!!?

I am starting to think you are actually Angelo Cataldi Mikey.....

And I'm starting to think you are as Howard Eskin was toward Andy Reid!!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 22 2014, 05:55 PM) *
And I'm starting to think you are as Howard Eskin was toward Andy Reid!!

laugh.gif

ON SNAP!

WORLD STAAAAARRRR!
Zero
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Nov 22 2014, 05:03 AM) *
I can't read anything into the game because it is so obvious the Packers played their best game and the Eagles played their worst.

The Eagles secondary is a little shaky but the biggest problem right now is Sanchez.

I was agreeing with you all the way unti you reverted to hating. Sanchez may not be all that but he seems servicable at worst.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 23 2014, 12:47 PM) *
I was agreeing with you all the way unti you reverted to hating. Sanchez may not be all that but he seems servicable at worst.

He's got to cut back on the turnovers, but he is playing about how expected otherwise.

Didn't justify a new thread, but Jesus christ Riley Cooper is such a dogshit receiver. He might put in less effort than Desean.
koolaidluke
I wasn't hating on the guy, I actually like Sanchez but I don't think there is any question he is the achilles heal of this team right now.
Zero
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Nov 23 2014, 07:44 PM) *
I wasn't hating on the guy, I actually like Sanchez but I don't think there is any question he is the achilles heal of this team right now.

He's throwing too many INTs, but otherwise he's managing the team fairly well it seems. Foles was throwing too many picks too and his mechanics seemed to take a hiatus. Both players have had their problems, but they've both done good things too. Unless you want Barkley ...

From my perspective, the running game has been the problem in most games. I have no clue what's wrong, part was due to the OL early in the season but there still seems to be an absence of run game rhythm. Is that the QB?
HOUSEoPAIN
Bumping this just to say.....

Odell Beckham is fucking amazing. My god.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.