Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Avant Released
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HOUSEoPAIN
Avant was released, for questioning the Panthers' game plan.

Those are pretty mild comments to me, but whatever.

Is there any downside to giving him a league minimum contract for the rest of the year? Anything to get Huff's ass on the bench.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 18 2014, 02:34 PM) *

Is there any downside to giving him a league minimum contract for the rest of the year? Anything to get Huff's ass on the bench.

Huff has got to be one of the most useless players to put on an Eagles uniform in the last 5-10 years. Yes there have been many many awful players over the years but I struggle to recall one that not only isn't just a poor player, but actively blows up basically any play he is involved in, regardless of his capacity in said play.

Its a shame because it looks like he has some real speed, but the dude just sucks. I cringe any time I see # 11 on the screen nearing a play.

Avant is the man and will forever remain one of the most clutch Eagles, but I cant see them bringing him back, considering he was entirely a slot receiver and we have Matthews now.
Dreagon
He has had an impressive career, and to tell the truth his points on the Panther's playcalling were pretty spot on. That being said, I doubt Chip Kelly will take him back. It's a lot more likely that, if he plays again, it will be Andy Reid who takes him.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Nov 18 2014, 01:51 PM) *
Huff has got to be one of the most useless players to put on an Eagles uniform in the last 5-10 years. Yes there have been many many awful players over the years but I struggle to recall one that not only isn't just a poor player, but actively blows up basically any play he is involved in, regardless of his capacity in said play.

Yup, I've thought myself of Eagles players who seemed to attract disaster whenever they're on the field the way Huff does.

Winston Justice? Reno Mahe?
JeeQ
I just came in here to co-sign the Hate For Huff Campaign... I can't stand that dude... I literally feel my heart stop when he shows up on the screen because I know a play is about to get fucked up
nephillymike
Did u hear him say he was doing his job on the missed tackle turned punt return TD?

And Chip's quizzical reply? He was like "did his job my ass".

Dude's days are numbered.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 18 2014, 08:28 PM) *
Did u hear him say he was doing his job on the missed tackle turned punt return TD?

And Chip's quizzical reply? He was like "did his job my ass".

Dude's days are numbered.

Seriously? He should consider himself lucky he's getting an NFL paycheck, I'd stick to team-oriented positive platitudes in interviews if I were him.....
JaxEagle
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 18 2014, 02:46 PM) *
Yup, I've thought myself of Eagles players who seemed to attract disaster whenever they're on the field the way Huff does.

Winston Justice? Reno Mahe?

Ahh cmon, I was the President of the Reno Mahe fan club. Actually I think I was the VP and Treasurer too because there was nobody else in the club. LOL. What I liked about the dude is that he was sure handed fielding punts at a time when we had struggled with that. All he needed to do was not turn the ball over and he did that. He also did a decent job on offense given the physical tools that he was competing with. That said, I do get the point wink.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Nov 19 2014, 09:10 PM) *
What I liked about the dude is that he was sure handed fielding punts at a time when we had struggled with that. All he needed to do was not turn the ball over and he did that.

I'm specifically referring to him on special teams. Dude, didn't he have 4 special teams fumbles in the '06 season?
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 20 2014, 10:36 AM) *
I'm specifically referring to him on special teams. Dude, didn't he have 4 special teams fumbles in the '06 season?

When I think of fumbled punts, I think of Greg Lewis. Is he the guy you're thinking of? Remember he lost the opener in GB one year.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 20 2014, 09:37 PM) *
When I think of fumbled punts, I think of Greg Lewis. Is he the guy you're thinking of? Remember he lost the opener in GB one year.

Did Lewis ever return any others? I don't recall it being a persistent problem, but I don't recall him getting many other chances either.

That one, unfortunately, sticks out though.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 18 2014, 01:34 PM) *

Those are pretty mild comments to me, but whatever.

Josh "Aptly Named" Huff. yeah, he needs to GTFO. Bring back A6 Avant.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 20 2014, 10:37 PM) *

Oh I'm positive I'm thinking of Reno Mahe, in fact I considered putting Greg Lewis in my post earlier in the thread. I left him out because he made that great Super Bowl td catch to keep our unfounded hopes alive, the only Eagles WR to ever catch one.

Yeah, in that GB opener Lewis fumbled the first punt into the end zone, GB 7-0. I think he also muffed the next one but got it back, and he looked like shit every time he was in there. J.R. Reed replaced him, just in time to muff a punt at the end of the game giving GB a game winning field goal. The next day Reno Mahe got his job back, and 'only' fumbled twice more that season. Lewis thankfully never returned one again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.