Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dear Bipolar Fans
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HOUSEoPAIN
There's been a mutiny on WIP since yesterday, with a good portion of callers wanting Barkley to be in, and several fans getting cut off for whatever they're saying before the delay hits.....For our bipolar, collectively-has-the-maturity-of-a-kindergarten-class fan base, a few things:

-We aren't contenders. Never were. This year is about further development of players in the system. Next year we could be, which depends on our defensive development and QB situation.

-Sanchez is not a good QB. He isn't the savior, but will probably (because of the system) get us to a playoff game, where we will most likely lose in the first round. If we don't sweep Dallas, we're not getting a home playoff game, and a one and done is pretty much guaranteed. Foles should play the second he's ready, and it's likely we'll have to draft a QB next year. Barkley shouldn't even be in the conversation.

-Any elite offense is going to put up 35-40 against us, at minimum. The Three Stooges might as well be in there, that was an embarrassment.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 17 2014, 11:26 AM) *
There's been a mutiny on WIP since yesterday, with a good portion of callers wanting Barkley to be in, and several fans getting cut off for whatever they're saying before the delay hits.....For our bipolar, collectively-has-the-maturity-of-a-kindergarten-class fan base, a few things:

-We aren't contenders. Never were. This year is about further development of players in the system. Next year we could be, which depends on our defensive development and QB situation.

-Sanchez is not a good QB. He isn't the savior, but will probably (because of the system) get us to a playoff game, where we will most likely lose in the first round. If we don't sweep Dallas, we're not getting a home playoff game, and a one and done is pretty much guaranteed. Foles should play the second he's ready, and it's likely we'll have to draft a QB next year. Barkley shouldn't even be in the conversation.

-Any elite offense is going to put up 35-40 against us, at minimum. The Three Stooges might as well be in there, that was an embarrassment.

I don't feel we were contenders for the Super Bowl but I feel we were contenders to win 1-2 playoff games with Foles if we played really well and got a good draw. We can't beat GB without getting 1-2 defensive or special teams TD's and a couple more turnovers. New Orleans and Detroit would probably beat us right now and I don't have the answer as to how we beat Dallas so I am glad that Chip is the one that has to answer that question. I agree that any good offense will put up 35 on us so that precludes beating a contender. Foles should certainly play the moment he is healthy enough to be out there. I am pulling for Sanchez but it just seems like a bit too much of a reach. And Barkley is lucky to be collecting a NFL check. I'd rather go fishing than watch Barkley at QB... and I am not a fisherman...
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Nov 17 2014, 02:32 PM) *
I don't feel we were contenders for the Super Bowl but I feel we were contenders to win 1-2 playoff games with Foles if we played really well and got a good draw.

We can beat Dallas or whatever shit team wins the NFC South on any given day in a shootout, but we stand no chance against any other playoff caliber teams on the road.
Eyrie
Anyone who thinks Barkley is the answer needs to realise that we already have seven wins and it's too late to get the #1 overall pick for 2015.

JaxEagle
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 17 2014, 02:50 PM) *
Anyone who thinks Barkley is the answer needs to realise that we already have seven wins and it's too late to get the #1 overall pick for 2015.

And I'm not sure it is a great year to be forced to pick a QB that high anyway. I personally like Winston more than Mariotta but I see more RG3 than Andrew Luck in both of them.
nephillymike
I give myself a one to three day mandatory break period from listening to sports talk after most losses for that very reason.

As far as Sanchez goes, he has limitations. I think his inability to throw outside the hash marks will be a big problem in that our best WR does most of his work outside the hash marks and the TE post patterns are big in our skill set.

However, as bad as Sanchez appeared to be yesterday, his QB rating was one point lower than Foles' ytd rating when he got hurt and exactly what Foles rating was for the first seven games of the year. If we were patient with Foles, we can be patient with Sanchez especially since Barkley probably isn't an option. I think he'll give us above average QB play when all is said and done.

I think we are contenders. Green Bay is a monster and give them their due and we ain't beating them.

The other teams in the NFC? Please.

With slightly below average QB play, we beat Arizona and San Fran, both on their turf.

Seattle? They are a shell of themselves.

The NFC South? Anyone

Detroit, yeah right.

Dallas is legit and they may be our biggest competition for conference runner up. And hey, GB has to make it there also. They could get knocked off by someone else.

How bad must Nolan Carroll be if he can't replace Sconces or Fletcher? How stubborn must Bill Davis be not to put Boykin as a starting CB and then move him inside when we go nickel? So Boykin is 2 inches shorter than Fletcher. Hey Billy, one stride in coverage is a hell of a lot more than two fucking inches!!

I love it when Sproles comes in and rips off 7-9 yard runs against the same defense Shady has faced all game. Then I'm flabbergasted at how Chip never calls his number again. Is he worried that he or Polk will show up Shady? No politics. Play the guy who does the better job.
Phits
GB is really hot right now and firing on all cylinders but they aren't invincible.
HOUSEoPAIN
I give myself a one to three day mandatory break period from listening to sports talk after most losses for that very reason.

I did it on purpose to entertain an Eagles fan visiting from Florida. We weren't disappointed to say the least. It's a shame I missed the morning show and Cataldi's interview of Chip the next day.

With slightly below average QB play, we beat Arizona and San Fran, both on their turf.

And without 3 D/ST touchdowns, we get shutout. 0 points on offense, and SF was without Bowman and Smith. And it's not like SF had their best day on offense either. Any team can beat any team in the NFL on any day, and sure we could get a playoff win, but it would take 3-4 victories over top teams to win it all. Personally I'd expect SF to hit their stride and cruise to another NFCCG appearance.

I love it when Sproles comes in and rips off 7-9 yard runs against the same defense Shady has faced all game. Then I'm flabbergasted at how Chip never calls his number again. Is he worried that he or Polk will show up Shady? No politics. Play the guy who does the better job.

I don't think Chip gives a rat's ass about Shady's feelings, I just maintain that teams are focusing on stuffing Shady, and not so with Sproles because his role on the field isn't obvious. If you gave Sproles the same amount of touches I don't think he'd do any better.
Reality Fan
We are not contenders? Interesting...We travel across the country twice to lose close games to 2 likely playoff teams by less than 10 points collectively.

One bad game by the entire team(as if that never happens) and the team is scrap? At 7-3 it is silly to not call them a contender. Look back to the Giants last SB year....and the NFL is a funny business....the Pack plays well at home but the Eagles were not anywhere ready for that game......the entire team.....

look back at Steve Young and the Niners coming into Philly and getting crushed in a year they went on to win the SB and the eagles went 7-9. It was a total ass kicking and the only game Young did not eclipse even 200 yards.....it just happens sometimes in the league. GB is the same team that is 1-3 on the road.

I am not saying that the eagles are a great team but it is a weird league....

had any of these losses been at the Linc I could understand the angst but traveling to the west coast is always tough and both games should have been Ws even with horrendous offensive play if SF.

But hey, if playing chicken little helps more power to you.....the facts are pretty simple though....no one in the NFC is dominant......
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 22 2014, 02:52 PM) *
We are not contenders? Interesting...We travel across the country twice to lose close games to 2 likely playoff teams by less than 10 points collectively.

One bad game by the entire team(as if that never happens) and the team is scrap? At 7-3 it is silly to not call them a contender. Look back to the Giants last SB year....and the NFL is a funny business....the Pack plays well at home but the Eagles were not anywhere ready for that game......the entire team.....

look back at Steve Young and the Niners coming into Philly and getting crushed in a year they went on to win the SB and the eagles went 7-9. It was a total ass kicking and the only game Young did not eclipse even 200 yards.....it just happens sometimes in the league. GB is the same team that is 1-3 on the road.

I am not saying that the eagles are a great team but it is a weird league....

had any of these losses been at the Linc I could understand the angst but traveling to the west coast is always tough and both games should have been Ws even with horrendous offensive play if SF.

But hey, if playing chicken little helps more power to you.....the facts are pretty simple though....no one in the NFC is dominant......

I tend to agree. I think we'll struggle to beat GB, SF, Sea, and NO on the road in the playoffs, but I think we can absolutely beat any team at the Linc. We could find ourselves in a situation where we only have to travel once on the road to the SB. If that is the case, depending on the matchup, we have a chance.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 22 2014, 03:52 PM) *

laugh.gif

Chicken Little?!

I predicted 9-7, winning the division, and losing in the first round (meanwhile, you predicted the Cowboys would win 4 games). And with our upcoming schedule, it looks to be headed somewhere in that direction, maybe 10-6. I've been pretty consistent about where this team is for a very long time, nothing has surprised me this year apart from Foles and McCoy not putting up good numbers. While the real 'Chicken Littles' were flipping out during the GB game, and calling for Barkley to be our starter and saying 'McCoy is finished!!!!' I sat here sipping my beer with a normal heart rate, as I knew we would get stomped. It wasn't just a 'bad game' - every single weakness we have was clearly exposed against an elite team.

We can steal a playoff win because anything can happen and we could get a favorable matchup at home in the first round against Dallas.....but we're simply not a real contender. Sorry to burst your 'reverse Chicken Little' bubble. FWIW, I said this before the season started:

9-7 is fine to me, with our schedule being much tougher. 10-6 and a home playoff win is significant progress, setting up for a breakout year 3 under Chip.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 22 2014, 05:23 PM) *
laugh.gif

Chicken Little?!

I predicted 9-7, winning the division, and losing in the first round (meanwhile, you predicted the Cowboys would win 4 games). And with our upcoming schedule, it looks to be headed somewhere in that direction, maybe 10-6. I've been pretty consistent about where this team is for a very long time, nothing has surprised me this year apart from Foles and McCoy not putting up good numbers. While the real 'Chicken Littles' were flipping out during the GB game, and calling for Barkley to be our starter and saying 'McCoy is finished!!!!' I sat here sipping my beer with a normal heart rate, as I knew we would get stomped. It wasn't just a 'bad game' - every single weakness we have was clearly exposed against an elite team.

We can steal a playoff win because anything can happen and we could get a favorable matchup at home in the first round against Dallas.....but we're simply not a real contender. Sorry to burst your 'reverse Chicken Little' bubble. FWIW, I said this before the season started:

9-7 is fine to me, with our schedule being much tougher. 10-6 and a home playoff win is significant progress, setting up for a breakout year 3 under Chip.

No question...the Cowboys surprised me and virtually everyone who follows the NFL and you predicted the eagles 9-7 and you will be wrong on that...what is you point CL?

We have the Cowboys twice and the Giants and Skins and Tennessee and you still think they won't surpass 10-6? I understand thinking Seattle is a loss and it could be but only a fool expects Seattle to be the team they were last year...they lost all their depth and it shows.

I agree that many Eagles fans are idiotic in their rants for backups and player evaluations that go way over the top...I have mentioned it here many times...the hardest part of being an Eagles fan sometimes is dealing with those fans.

Green Bay will enjoy a strong home field advantage for a few more weeks and then the rest of the league that plays in the North will have cold weather and that ship will sail. Sometimes in NFL games everything can go wrong and a beating occurs. The GB game was an example. So many things went wrong with so many people it was ridiculous. Even STs had a huge breakdown.

The Eagles are a contender because there is no killer team out there. GB is hot right now but that can change quickly.....hell...they could lose to Minny tomorrow. I don't think the Eagles are or could be that dominant team but they are a good team collectively and will likely finish with 11 or 12 wins. That makes them a contender in a weak year.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 22 2014, 05:38 PM) *
We have the Cowboys twice and the Giants and Skins and Tennessee and you still think they won't surpass 10-6? I understand thinking Seattle is a loss and it could be but only a fool expects Seattle to be the team they were last year...they lost all their depth and it shows.

Sticking purely with my preseason predictions on a game by game basis, we'll go 10-6, splitting Dallas, and dropping games to Wash. and Seattle. 9-7 was because I assumed we would lose to Carolina, and obviously that was our easiest game as they suck this year.

Obviously we can go 11-5, I still think 12 wins is a huge stretch. We'll see.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 22 2014, 06:52 PM) *
Sticking purely with my preseason predictions on a game by game basis, we'll go 10-6, splitting Dallas, and dropping games to Wash. and Seattle. 9-7 was because I assumed we would lose to Carolina, and obviously that was our easiest game as they suck this year.

Obviously we can go 11-5, I still think 12 wins is a huge stretch. We'll see.

not so much of a stretch anymore, is it?

This team seems to beat the teams they should and outside of one game, compete pretty well.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 3 2014, 09:31 PM) *
not so much of a stretch anymore, is it?

This team seems to beat the teams they should and outside of one game, compete pretty well.

We've beaten every team we're supposed to beat, and we've lost to every team we're supposed to lose to. In the toss-ups (Indy, Dallas) we've come out on top. My original predictions were based on splitting Wash/Dal and losing to Seattle, but I don't think there's any way in hell they lose the next 3, even if they drop 2 in a row to Seattle and Dallas, so 11-5 certainly seems close to being a lock at this point.

As I said in another thread, I think if they beat Seattle they'll run the table, but I doubt they beat them on Sunday.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 4 2014, 09:36 AM) *
I doubt they beat them on Sunday.

You may be right, but there were a lot of people saying the exact same thing before the Thanksgiving game. The nice thing is that there is reason to believe the Eagles can beat the defending SB champs and potentially run the table. Gotta love it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.