Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A good reason against instant gratification
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
Just saw this in an article regarding our current D:

Nine weeks into the group’s second year together, the Eagles’ defense is showing signs of evolving into a terrific unit.

They’ve improved from 19th to 10th against the run, from 29th to 21st in yards allowed, 30th to 17th in first downs allowed, 24th to 12th on third down, 32nd to 18th in pass defense, 20th to second in sacks.

And more importantly this:

We all remember how dominating the Eagles’ defense was from 1989 through 1992, earning four straight top-12 rankings, including No. 1 in 1991 and No. 6 in 1992.

What’s forgotten is that the same group — with Reggie White, Eric Allen, Jerome Brown, Seth Joyner, Clyde Simmons, Wes Hopkins and Andre Waters — was ranked 27th in the NFL in 1988.

The longer those players stayed together, the more effective that defense became.

All these instant gratification responses like benching Sconces and Foles, and now even XSVs call to draft another RB because 'Shady is not himself,' is a product of our society's current need for immediate results. BFS (Bull Fucking Shit) it is patience and perseverance that pays off, not knee jerk reactions. I am glad Chip knows this because if some of the guys on this and other boards were making the calls we would be a hot mess.

Whole article here: http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadel...d-faith-defense
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 14 2014, 02:29 PM) *

Nine weeks into the group’s second year together, the Eagles’ defense is showing signs of evolving into a terrific unit.

They’ve improved from 19th to 10th against the run, from 29th to 21st in yards allowed, 30th to 17th in first downs allowed, 24th to 12th on third down, 32nd to 18th in pass defense, 20th to second in sacks.

We all remember how dominating the Eagles’ defense was from 1989 through 1992, earning four straight top-12 rankings, including No. 1 in 1991 and No. 6 in 1992.

What’s forgotten is that the same group — with Reggie White, Eric Allen, Jerome Brown, Seth Joyner, Clyde Simmons, Wes Hopkins and Andre Waters — was ranked 27th in the NFL in 1988.

The longer those players stayed together, the more effective that defense became.

Good article. We have a very good core group of players on defense, and obviously the nicest surprise this year has been the big plays from d/st, which have made up for offensive lapses. Guys like Ryans, Kendricks, Barwin, Jenkins, Curry, etc. can mesh into a dominant unit over time with future additions, though I think it's a pretty big stretch to start the comparison to the Buddy Ryan defenses.

What concerns me is the (so far) terrible defensive drafts we've had these past two years. Ok, Benny Logan is a solid starter, but after him our best defensive draft pick has been this year's 7th rounder Beau Allen. Earl Wolff of course is terrible, Marcus Smith was a complete waste of a first round pick, and the only other 2 still on our roster are Hart and Watkins, 3rd stringers who likely will never contribute. At least they've made up for it with some very good free agent signings.....
make_it_rain
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 14 2014, 03:29 PM) *
All these instant gratification responses like benching Sconces and Foles, and now even XSVs call to draft another RB because 'Shady is not himself,' is a product of our society's current need for immediate results. BFS (Bull Fucking Shit) it is patience and perseverance that pays off, not knee jerk reactions. I am glad Chip knows this because if some of the guys on this and other boards were making the calls we would be a hot mess.

You have got to be the biggest Foles apologist on this board.

That being said, I do agree the call to use an early pick on an RB is probably the most absurd idea I've read on the board this season.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 14 2014, 02:29 PM) *

Whole article here: http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadel...d-faith-defense

BFS.

My call to bench Sconces, is not and never was a knee jerk reaction. He's been a poor CB for us for 1-1/2 years. He's a bad seed. He's Leon always ready to put blame squarely on the shoulders of his coaches and his teammates.

My call to replace Chung, is not and never was a knee jerk reaction. He was horrible. If we needed to blend and be patient, why not keep Chung and be patient with him? What, a FA can come in and improve the team? Imagine that.

I think that Nate Allen should play better, but he has had flashes in the past. Same with Fletcher. But I can live with them.

I would have preferred many, many other picks than M. Smith, but we'll see next year with him. It would be nice if he could contribute at our time of need but we'll see

In total, I like the guys who play defense for us. I love their effort, their personality, their teamwork. Billy Davis has done a great job. They get after it and are exciting to watch. Cole, Graham and Curry are good guys, great to see them assimilate into the 3-4. I'm excited to watch D again.

I love Nick Foles. He's the type of QB I wanted them to sign for a long time. I had a few hundred dollars set aside to buy a Foles jersey but was waiting to see how he did this year. Last year was awesome. However, I was giving him till the end of the HOU game to turn it around as he was playing at a bottom tier level all year. His turnovers were dangerous and showed no signs of subsiding. The fact that he got injured made it a real easy decision for Chip. We'll see what we have in Sanchez and go from there. He is a free agent next year, Foles is not. Personally, I think Foles has a better skill set, but we were not going to win the East with Foles playing like he was and I lost faith that he would turn it around this year.
We'll see. Meanwhile, we have games to win and playoff spots to be had and I think Sanchez will play at an above average level and that will get us there.

Shock the world. Beat GB on Sunday!!
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Nov 14 2014, 04:52 PM) *
You have got to be the biggest Foles apologist on this board.

That being said, I do agree the call to use an early pick on an RB is probably the most absurd idea I've read on the board this season.

You say apologist, I say pragmatist. I listen to what Chip says rather than everyone else with an opinion, considering his is the only one that counts. He came to his defense big time when rumors were swirling that Howie and the 'FO' were souring on him, literally telling the press that 'only I make personnel decisions here.' I guess Chip is an apologist too.

Birdwatcher
Mikey...sconces isn't a long term solution, but he is not the cancer you think. When he mouthed off he got slapped down, stopped talking and started to play better. From what I have seen when Boykin played some limited reps on the outside tells me he IS better suited covering the slot. Carroll might be OK, but I still gotta think Davis is playing what he considers his best hand and as the coaches have said, they have seen everyone improving.

Chung was not even part of my argument, Chip chucked him after last year because he really was hopeless, but Nate Allen, though still not great, has become less of a liability and has even made some big plays. Next year they are going after DBs and LBs, and I doubt Chip reaches again in the draft like he did with Smith. I'm just saying Chip is methodically creating his team, not trying to rush anything (except the time between plays) and making the most of what he has.

One mistake of yours I will point out is your desire for Byrd this off season and a heavy criticism of Jenkins when they signed him. You have to admit that his play in our D has made a HUGE difference and he was the right safety to target. He also stole Sproles from NO and they are struggling all around with a lot of it because of those two losses.

I think Chip probably sees much of what you see in the weakness department, but he is winning despite it as he plans his next step. With a 17-8 record in just just his second year, I do believe he is smarter than all of us...at least for now. I'm enjoying the ride too much to rock this boat. I used to be a type A personality regarding the Birds, but a few years of suckiness led me to the type B, laid back approach. FWIW, it is easier to handle bad times and more enjoyable watching the success now.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 14 2014, 09:16 PM) *
Mikey...sconces isn't a long term solution, but he is not the cancer you think. When he mouthed off he got slapped down, stopped talking and started to play better. From what I have seen when Boykin played some limited reps on the outside tells me he IS better suited covering the slot. Carroll might be OK, but I still gotta think Davis is playing what he considers his best hand and as the coaches have said, they have seen everyone improving.

Chung was not even part of my argument, Chip chucked him after last year because he really was hopeless, but Nate Allen, though still not great, has become less of a liability and has even made some big plays. Next year they are going after DBs and LBs, and I doubt Chip reaches again in the draft like he did with Smith. I'm just saying Chip is methodically creating his team, not trying to rush anything (except the time between plays) and making the most of what he has.

One mistake of yours I will point out is your desire for Byrd this off season and a heavy criticism of Jenkins when they signed him. You have to admit that his play in our D has made a HUGE difference and he was the right safety to target. He also stole Sproles from NO and they are struggling all around with a lot of it because of those two losses.

I think Chip probably sees much of what you see in the weakness department, but he is winning despite it as he plans his next step. With a 17-8 record in just just his second year, I do believe he is smarter than all of us...at least for now. I'm enjoying the ride too much to rock this boat. I used to be a type A personality regarding the Birds, but a few years of suckiness led me to the type B, laid back approach. FWIW, it is easier to handle bad times and more enjoyable watching the success now.

Yep, I was wrong about Bryd, based on the way Jenkins and Byrd had played pre injury. It's a good time to be wrong. Jenkins has been all of that. Seems I was wrong about Foles and wrong about Sanchez too.

Hopefully I'm wrong about Sconces and Smith and us needing to invest the $20M of cap for the team this year so we put the best product on the field this year, but I fear my streak of wrongness ends here.

For the "slow build" guys like yourself, should we have gone all in for this year? Is it conceivable that we are as close to the dance THIS year than we will be next year?

Can't wait for Sunday.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 14 2014, 09:50 PM) *
Yep, I was wrong about Bryd, based on the way Jenkins and Byrd had played pre injury. It's a good time to be wrong. Jenkins has been all of that. Seems I was wrong about Foles and wrong about Sanchez too.

Hopefully I'm wrong about Sconces and Smith and us needing to invest the $20M of cap for the team this year so we put the best product on the field this year, but I fear my streak of wrongness ends here.

For the "slow build" guys like yourself, should we have gone all in for this year? Is it conceivable that we are as close to the dance THIS year than we will be next year?

Can't wait for Sunday.

I've seen the effects of 'all in' and it rarely, if ever pays off. Not sure how well they did in draft this year, Mathews is the only one looking like a potential stud so far, but they have done well picking up guys that 'fit' in FA. Thing is those kind of players are not usually high priced stars, just guys that are respected by their team mates for their unselfish behavior. Barwin, Jenkins, Sproles, and Ryans come to mind. I think Chip is trying to build a team with those kind of guys, where teamwork can trump talent alone. We shall see if it works, so far so good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.