Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We don't care if we run it or throw it, as long as we're moving the football.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
So sez Chip!
nephillymike
I agree with this.

If they stack the run, beat them with the pass.

If they go nickel, beat them with the run.

A little disappointed that we didn't run it down their throats at the end of the game. I thought we'd do that with a triple shot of Shady, Sproles and Polk and run the clock out ala GB last year.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 11 2014, 11:21 PM) *
A little disappointed that we didn't run it down their throats at the end of the game. I thought we'd do that with a triple shot of Shady, Sproles and Polk and run the clock out ala GB last year.

What worries me most about Chip is his refusal to run out the clock when he has the game won, I've seen that enough times during The Walrus's reign and it will inevitably bite us again. I understand the 'run more plays' instead of 'time of possession' philosophy, but not when you're up by 4 scores in the 2nd half.

Also, Sanchez was in the game WAY too long for my liking. He was still playing midway through the 4th quarter, throwing passes when we were up by 31 points. No excuse for that, and if he got injured we'd be rightfully frying Chip's balls off as the season would be completely over.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 12 2014, 11:27 AM) *
What worries me most about Chip is his refusal to run out the clock when he has the game won, I've seen that enough times during The Walrus's reign and it will inevitably bite us again. I understand the 'run more plays' instead of 'time of possession' philosophy, but not when you're up by 4 scores in the 2nd half.

Also, Sanchez was in the game WAY too long for my liking. He was still playing midway through the 4th quarter, throwing passes when we were up by 31 points. No excuse for that, and if he got injured we'd be rightfully frying Chip's balls off as the season would be completely over.

After the game Chip said we didn't execute very well on offense. He was likely evaluating the players in a game environment.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 12 2014, 11:14 AM) *
After the game Chip said we didn't execute very well on offense. He was likely evaluating the players in a game environment.

When you're up 4 scores in the 4th quarter, it's time to stop evaluating your starters, specifically your QB.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 12 2014, 12:32 PM) *
When you're up 4 scores in the 4th quarter, it's time to stop evaluating your starters, specifically your QB.

why is that?
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 12 2014, 11:27 AM) *

As long as the Eagles continue to progress under Chip's philosophies I'm willing to avoid the traditional thought process. He may be right or he could be asking for trouble as you're saying, but new ideas are normally always hard to accept ("normally always" is my shot at a Yogi-ism tongue.gif ). If he gets Sanchez and the starters enough reps to win in GB on a short week then maybe he has a point. If he tires them out and gets them hurt he's the son of Kotite.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 13 2014, 06:08 AM) *
As long as the Eagles continue to progress under Chip's philosophies I'm willing to avoid the traditional thought process. He may be right or he could be asking for trouble as you're saying, but new ideas are normally always hard to accept ("normally always" is my shot at a Yogi-ism tongue.gif ).

I don't buy into the whole 'genius' thing in sports, he's an excellent coach who was influenced by other football minds and now is influencing others himself. Creating innovative offensive schemes and plays is all fine and good, but there are many 'traditional thoughts' that are there for a reason. To suggest that our starters being in the game when up by 4 scores in the 4th quarter is some potentially great 'new idea' that we need to give a chance, as opposed to the obvious stupid and unnecessary risk to your key players that it is, is to put this man on a pedestal where no mortal belongs, and he hasn't come close to earning that yet. Someone needs to tell him he isn't Keith Hernandez.

Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 13 2014, 12:01 PM) *
I don't buy into the whole 'genius' thing in sports, he's an excellent coach who was influenced by other football minds and now is influencing others himself. Creating innovative offensive schemes and plays is all fine and good, but there are many 'traditional thoughts' that are there for a reason. To suggest that our starters being in the game when up by 4 scores in the 4th quarter is some potentially great 'new idea' that we need to give a chance, as opposed to the obvious stupid and unnecessary risk to your key players that it is, is to put this man on a pedestal where no mortal belongs, and he hasn't come close to earning that yet. Someone needs to tell him he isn't Keith Hernandez.

It isn't a "new idea" to keep your starters in a game, even in a blowout. It isn't a stupid move or unnecessary risk. As long as the coach has determined that the starters should remain in the game, for whatever evaluation he has deemed necessary, it is the appropriate move. Injuries are simply bad luck, it could happen on the first play, the last play or on the ride to the eat cheese steaks with fans.
HOUSEoPAIN
It isn't a "new idea" to keep your starters in a game, even in a blowout.

No it isn't, but it's still stupid and pretty common. I'm not going to continue going back and forth with you on basic common sense football knowledge, can you just tell me what he's done to earn this worship from you? If he could take a knee to end the game but decides to throw a couple deep passes, and explains he was 'evaluating his players,' would you draw the line there?

Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 13 2014, 01:50 PM) *
No it isn't, but it's still stupid and pretty common. I'm not going to continue going back and forth with you on basic common sense football knowledge

You have proven that you have a warped view. Your common sense is often quite the opposite.

can you just tell me what he's done to earn this worship from you?

We average 31 ppg and are the 4th ranked offense in the league. This happened despite having an inconsistent QB (for most of the season) running game. Injuries decimated the o-line and we still have a 7-2 record. I think he has earned the praise.

If he could take a knee to end the game but decides to throw a couple deep passes, and explains he was 'evaluating his players,' would you draw the line there?

Chip has a QB that has 1 start in 2 seasons and an offense that was inconsistent. 'Common sense' dictates that he continue to evaluate players and have them execute the offense. If it were week 17, you would have a valid argument not under the current circumstance.
HOUSEoPAIN
I think he has earned the praise.

He's earned praise. Not blind, sheep-like worship. Especially when he goes against basic football common sense, like having your starter throwing passes in a game that's been clearly won. It'll bite him one day.

Personally, it seems like you argue with me for the sake of arguing with me sometimes. I don't think you honestly believe what you're saying.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 13 2014, 05:42 PM) *
He's earned praise. Not blind, sheep-like worship. Especially when he goes against basic football common sense, like having your starter throwing passes in a game that's been clearly won.

Who is the 2nd string QB in New England? Bill Belichick plays Brady right up until the 2 minute warning in blow-outs. John Fox does it with Peyton and so does Mike McCarthy (for the most part) with Rodgers.

Traditionally, the reason for pulling your starters or running down the clock was a courtesy to the opposition so you weren't running up the score. That changed the year the Pats steam rolled over the league going 16-0 in the regular season and never took their foot off the gas. Teams that still are not executing properly and have work to do haven't earned the right to do so.

I don't agree with your assertion that is it basic football common sense. You play hard until the whistle. That, to me, is basic football common sense.
mcnabbulous
"Common sense football knowledge" - the guy that thinks he is smarter than two of the most respected coaches in the game.

laugh.gif

Classic stuff, bud. Keep it up.
HOUSEoPAIN
Who is the 2nd string QB in New England?

Jimmy Garoppolo. Duh.

Bill Belichick plays Brady right up until the 2 minute warning in blow-outs.

Sometimes. Other times he gets pulled early in the 4th quarter. It seems he really likes to run up the score against certain teams, especially division rivals and 'teams to beat.' It hasn't come back to bite him yet, unfortunately. Isn't he a bipolar piece of shit?

John Fox does it with Peyton

No, he doesn't. Peyton has been pulled entering the 4th quarter twice this season, both times when they were up by more than 3 td's.

and so does Mike McCarthy (for the most part) with Rodgers.

No, he doesn't. In their 4 blowout wins this year, Rodgers (and Lacy) have only seen the 4th quarter once, in their game on the road in Chicago which was closer than the final score indicated - and that was by 3 td's.

Traditionally, the reason for pulling your starters or running down the clock was a courtesy to the opposition so you weren't running up the score. That changed the year the Pats steam rolled over the league going 16-0 in the regular season and never took their foot off the gas.

Nothing changed that year except the amount of people who hate Belichick, Brady, and the Pats. The traditional courtesy you mention changed when QB's started getting paid $100 million. Now, it's still a courtesy, but it's more to protect your franchise. And the two go hand in hand - leaving your starters in there to further embarrass your opponents will lead to some frustrated defenders trying to take out your franchise QB.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 13 2014, 07:06 PM) *
Jimmy Garoppolo. Duh.

Sometimes. Other times he gets pulled early in the 4th quarter. It seems he really likes to run up the score against certain teams, especially division rivals and 'teams to beat.' It hasn't come back to bite him yet, unfortunately. Isn't he a bipolar piece of shit?

No, he doesn't. Peyton has been pulled entering the 4th quarter twice this season, both times when they were up by more than 3 td's.

No, he doesn't. In their 4 blowout wins this year, Rodgers (and Lacy) have only seen the 4th quarter once, in their game on the road in Chicago which was closer than the final score indicated - and that was by 3 td's.

Nothing changed that year except the amount of people who hate Belichick, Brady, and the Pats. The traditional courtesy you mention changed when QB's started getting paid $100 million. Now, it's still a courtesy, but it's more to protect your franchise. And the two go hand in hand - leaving your starters in there to further embarrass your opponents will lead to some frustrated defenders trying to take out your franchise QB.

Fine. But what you're not addressing is that all of those QBs have longevity with the team and the other group of starters. Sanchez does not.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 13 2014, 07:38 PM) *
Fine. But what you're not addressing is that all of those QBs have longevity with the team and the other group of starters. Sanchez does not.

And leaving him in a game that's clearly been won will hurt his longevity. This is why you pull your QB when you're up by 4 scores with a few minutes left. But don't take my word for it, look at what every coach in the NFL does.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 13 2014, 07:06 PM) *

Up by 3 scores Peyton Manning attempts his last pass of the game with a minute left DEN@NYJ
I haven't bothered to look into any other games, but, you appear to be misinformed. There are a variety of reasons why a coach may tell his team to keep pressing, even in a blow out. None of them will be valid to you, and it doesn't have to be. I trust the coaches decisions more than yours.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 13 2014, 09:35 PM) *
And leaving him in a game that's clearly been won will hurt his longevity. This is why you pull your QB when you're up by 4 scores with a few minutes left. But don't take my word for it, look at what every coach in the NFL does.

Yeah....and rushing a RB 20+ times per game guarantees a win. We'll just add this to your list of falsehoods.
HOUSEoPAIN
Up by 3 scores Peyton Manning attempts his last pass of the game with a minute left

The Broncos were up by 7 points at that time. Not only are you wrong, but you are too lazy to do basic research on games you're referencing to back up your non-point. *yawn* Try again.

I haven't bothered to look into any other games

Clearly. Unlike me. This was evident a while ago, when you claimed Brady and Rodgers and Manning never get pulled. If you actually did look into other games, you would see how demonstrably wrong you are. This is one of those times that when facts are hitting you in the face, you can admit you're wrong and become more informed about the game of football. Or, you can grasp at whatever straws you need to, in order to tell yourself whatever you need to in order to cover up the fact that you're obviously wrong.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 14 2014, 12:38 AM) *

Agreed - Sanchez needed as many snaps as possible.
nephillymike
As an outsider to this argument, let me say that it's great when you can beat the shit out of a team that was 12-4 last year with a QB who most everyone would want instead of our "scrub" QB's on national tv and we're bitching about the benefits of playing our QB too long.

Life is Good!!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 14 2014, 08:04 PM) *
and we're bitching about the benefits of playing our QB too long.

Well, I can promise you the bitching will increase 100 fold if Sanchez gets injured throwing passes up by 31 points with 8 minutes left. I don't care how good the system is, if Barkley is our QB we may as well bring back Vince Young. Of course I doubt that we'll be in a position to pull Sanchez tomorrow.....

Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 13 2014, 10:13 PM) *
The Broncos were up by 7 points at that time. Not only are you wrong, but you are too lazy to do basic research on games you're referencing to back up your non-point. *yawn* Try again.

Too lazy, yes. Wrong, not.

Clearly. Unlike me. This was evident a while ago, when you claimed Brady and Rodgers and Manning never get pulled.

Not once did I say that they "never get pulled".

If you actually did look into other games, you would see how demonstrably wrong you are. This is one of those times that when facts are hitting you in the face, you can admit you're wrong and become more informed about the game of football. Or, you can grasp at whatever straws you need to, in order to tell yourself whatever you need to in order to cover up the fact that you're obviously wrong.

Common sense dictates that you would want your starting QB to have more than 6 full quarters of play heading into a short week against one of the best teams in the conference. I value Chip Kelly's opinion and his decision making process over yours. If that's wrong I can live with it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 16 2014, 12:31 AM) *
Common sense dictates that you would want your starting QB to have more than 6 full quarters of play heading into a short week against one of the best teams in the conference. I value Chip Kelly's opinion and his decision making process over yours. If that's wrong I can live with it.

This really says it all.

It's not wrong. We can shut things down.
HOUSEoPAIN
Rodgers has been pulled. Apparently Chip still needs to evaluate Sanchez, good thing he got those extra reps in. rolleyes.gif
koolaidluke
won't lie. I lol'd.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 16 2014, 08:08 PM) *
Rodgers has been pulled. Apparently Chip still needs to evaluate Sanchez, good thing he got those extra reps in. rolleyes.gif

McCoy got 23 carries today. What happened to the magic fairy that swoops in and awards victories to the team when they hit that magic number?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 16 2014, 09:55 PM) *
McCoy got 23 carries today. What happened to the magic fairy that swoops in and awards victories to the team when they hit that magic number?

The magic fairy got pulled early in the 4th before McCoy got his 20th carry. Shame.....
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 16 2014, 10:58 PM) *
The magic fairy got pulled early in the 4th before McCoy got his 20th carry. Shame.....

So there are conditions to your magical statistic? You always gave the impression that it was just a given.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.