Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random Eagle Thoughts from a Restless Mind
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
A few random thoughts:

1. One great thing about this team is how humble and likable they are. Seeing the team go out when Ryans got hurt was refreshing to see, as were Chip's words. Except for Sconces, I like this entire team's demeanor and character. That is light years beyond where I was a few years ago with this team.

2. One side benefit of having Sanchez at the helm these last few weeks is that at least we will be able to make an informed decision on HIS future with the team. People are focusing on Foles' future all year, but really we don't need to make a decision on him until the end of NEXT year. Sanchez contract ends this year and if we do have a need in the future, at least we can make an informed decision on his future with the team with something other than a great preseason to go on.

3. Jaws was saying the other day about the one benefit that nobody talks about with Chip's pace of play is the extra time he gets to coach his QB before each play. The mikes go off 15 seconds before the play clock winds down ( I think he said 15 secs). so if they get the play called in 9 seconds, that gives Chip six seconds to tell the QB what to remember and look out for on that play. Other coaches don't have those precious six seconds because they are rushing to get the play call in. Jaws says from a QB's perspective, that time is huge in preparing for the play.

4. The Eagles lead the league in point differential despite leading the league in turnovers. That is a rarity.

5. What if Sports does power rankings every week based upon the percentage of wins teams get when playing simulation games 1000 times against the other teams. The Eagles were as high as 3rd in some weeks but inexplicably dropped to 16th this week. 16th!! WTF. No idea how that could be, but they have us winning 52% of our games against the rest of the league, down from 63+% a few weeks ago, despite an impressive road win. FWIW, they have us winning by an average of one point vs CAR and winning that game only 51% of the time despite the -7 line.

6. According to Covers'com power rankings, here should be the point spreads of our remaining games:

CAR -9
@GB +3
@DAL PK
SEA -2.5
DAL - 6
TEN - 11.5
@WAS -3.5
@NYG -2

6-1-1 or 6-2, I can dig it.

7. I love Chip's quick wit and answers at his pressers. Can't get enough of it. The other day, Angelo had him on and he was talking about his play calling on the four runs that they steam rolled HOU with. Chip says: run 20 yds, call it again, 20 yards, call it again 20 yards, call it again, score. See, coaching is easy. Even you could have made those calls Angelo. Good stuff.

8. I think there is something to the suspicion that Chip is not a Foles guy. He down played all the praise that the press was begging Chip to heap on Foles last year, reluctantly, sarcastically saying Foles was the QB for the next 1000 years. He praised Sanchez more in his first two pressers after Sunday than he has Foles in the last year and a half. He always praised Vick more, even though Foles was playing at a historic rate last year. I never subscribed much to it, but hearing him lavish praise on Sanchez sealed the deal for me. Maybe he saw Foles as more smoke and mirrors than I ever did. He never has much nice to say about Wolff either which is probably a nice way of saying get healthy soon Nate.

9. A Cowboys fan told me today that Jerry Jones had Romo sit in first class with him and sent his wife back to normal seating. Swears it's true.

10. Has anyone heard of the Cowboys twitter hash tag for their game in London:
CowboysUK.
I am not kidding. The hits just keep on coming. If they're not holding press conferences for the signing of a gay practice squadder, the owner is coming down from the booth to give directives to the HC to play the QB with the broken back, who loses the game and then there's this: It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2255789...for-london-game

I can't top that, I'm done!

Go Eagles!!
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 9 2014, 03:29 AM) *
10. Has anyone heard of the Cowboys twitter hash tag for their game in London:
CowboysUK.

It's a generous offer, but one which the UK will emphatically decline. You're welcome to keep "America's Team".
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 8 2014, 10:29 PM) *
He praised Sanchez more in his first two pressers after Sunday than he has Foles in the last year and a half. He always praised Vick more, even though Foles was playing at a historic rate last year. I never subscribed much to it, but hearing him lavish praise on Sanchez sealed the deal for me. Maybe he saw Foles as more smoke and mirrors than I ever did.

Clearly the injury to Foles was all part of his grand scheme in getting Sanchez to start. He's worse than Dick Dastardly and Muttley..... happy.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 9 2014, 11:15 AM) *
Clearly the injury to Foles was all part of his grand scheme in getting Sanchez to start. He's worse than Dick Dastardly and Muttley.....

Who is Foles, Penelope Pits Stop?

Who is the Ant Hill mob? Who is the mob guy spouting that Penelope is going to die?

Great show.

No ill intention from Chip but I think he has a hard time heaping praise on someone he isn't sold on.

The way Foles played last year, he should have been effusive with his praise. He always seemed reserved. The tell tale sign is how he praises Sanchez if/when he does well. Let me know what you think when that happens.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 9 2014, 11:34 AM) *
Who is the Ant Hill mob?

Cataldi, Gargano, Ellis, Macnow, Frank, Eskin, and Didinger.
Phits
Eagles : #4 offense #22 defense
Panthers : #26 offense #24 Defense

21 That's the league-leading number of turnovers the Eagles have made as they prepare for a Carolina defense that has forced 16 turnovers, tied for third most in the league.

McCoy has rushed for over 80 yards per game over the last 4. The first time he has done that in his pro career.

4/5 Eagles O-Line starters are back

Lane Johnson : Since his return in Wk5 The Eagles are averaging 158.8 yards per game and he has not allowed a sack

Bradley Fletcher ranked #8 CB against the run. He leads all CB's in the NFL with 9 passes "defended"

Jeremy Maclin – has eight touchdowns and 17.6 yards per reception to accompany his +9.1 overall grade (fourth best among wideouts).

Fletcher Cox - has not missed a tackle yet in 2014, while his 10.3 Run Stop Percentage ranks him third among 3-4 defensive ends.

Jason Peters – PFF’s second highest rated offensive tackle (+18.5) is also fourth-best in Pass Blocking Efficiency (97.3)

WR Jeremy Maclin is one of only two players in the NFL to have 5 catches of 50+ yards in 2014. The other player is Washington's DeSean Jackson.

Since 2011, LB Connor Barwin (53.5) has recorded the 4th highest total of disrupted dropbacks in the NFL, trailing only JJ Watt (78), Jared Allen (60), and Joe Haden (55).

K Cody Parkey has connected on 12 straight field goal attempts (T-9th in Eagles History) and can move into a tie with David Akers (13) for 7th with his next successful kick. Parkey (3) can become the first player in Eagles History to hit 4 FGs of 50+ in a single season.

RB LeSean McCoy needs 12 carries (1,309) to pass Steve Van Buren (1,320) for second in all-time rushing attempts by an Eagle. He also needs 5 receptions (293) to jump Calvin Williams (295) and Jason Avant (297) and move into 12th place in receptions.

WR Jeremy Maclin needs 1 touchdown (34) to move out of a tie with Calvin Williams (34) and into sole possession of 7th in all-time receiving TDs. Maclin (303) can also pass Fred Barnett (308) and Bobby Walston (311) for 10th and 9th place, respectively, in receptions by an Eagle. Lastly, Maclin (790) needs 95 yards to move past Terrell Owens (884) for the most receiving yards by an Eagle through the first 9 games of the season.

QB Mark Sanchez makes his first start since Dec. 30, 2012.

LG Evan Mathis returns after missing seven games.

Eagles D/ST has at least one takeaway in 21 consecutive games, Eagles' longest streak since 1995.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 9 2014, 10:53 AM) *

WR Jeremy Maclin is one of only two players in the NFL to have 5 catches of 50+ yards in 2014. The other player is Washington's DeSean Jackson.

Fuck everybody that agreed with his release! We could have had both! We could have had both! He was already signed! We released him for nothing in exchange! Nothing! Nothing! Ehem...

Fletcher Cox - has not missed a tackle yet in 2014, while his 10.3 Run Stop Percentage ranks him third among 3-4 defensive ends.

Never thought I'd read that about an Eagle player

K Cody Parkey has connected on 12 straight field goal attempts (T-9th in Eagles History) and can move into a tie with David Akers (13) for 7th with his next successful kick. Parkey (3) can become the first player in Eagles History to hit 4 FGs of 50+ in a single season.

Parkey is one of the best moves this season

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 8 2014, 11:29 PM) *
A few random thoughts:

Go Eagles!!

Great post, mikey!

I was surprised and interested to read a couple of things about Sanchez's off-field personality. I had thought him to be a spoiled athlete who acted above everyone, especially us commoners. But, from what I've read he's a down-to-earth guy who is pretty likable. Maybe NY and the Jets were the big reasons for his issues ... we should have a better idea soon.

Sanchez was drafted in 2009 - Kelly coached the Ducks vs Sanchez. Kelly has some familiarity with him, more than he had with Foles. I don't know what kind of player Sanchez was in college, but he must have had some skills to get drafted where he did. It'll be interesting to see what Kelly can do with him and what he can do with the offense.
D Rock
Fuck Mesean Jaxon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.