Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Predict What Sanchez will Do
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I would like to open it up to what you expect from Sanchez this year.

What do you think his passer rating will be by the time Foles is ready to come back at the end of the year?

As a guide, here are some passer ratings for some people:

Foles 2013 = 119.2
Vick 2013 = 86.5
Foles 2014 = 81.5
Sanchez Career = 71.9 (ouch)

Average as defined by the 16th rated passer in the NFL = R. Wilson = 93.0

Current NFL Passer Rating Ranks:
#1 = 113
#5 = 104
#10 = 97
#16 = 93
#20 = 88
#26 = Foles = 81.5
#30 = 74.9
#32 = 65.6

I'll go with 94, just above average for his time starting until Foles gets back.

For the record, I think that Foles is a slightly above average QB who can be a very good QB in Kelly's offense.

I think Sanchez is a below average QB who can play at an average level in this offense.

Problem is Foles strengths were supposed to be his protecting the football, accuracy and decision making, all three which have suffered greatly this year. He played at a low level. Average QB play will be a big improvement over what we got in the first seven games, IMO.

Foles in 2013:
Rating 81.5 = 26th
Int % = 3.2 = 29th
Comp % 59.9 = 27th
Yds/Att 6.9 = 26th
TD % 4.2% = 23rd
Sack % 2.8% = 3rd

So accept for sack %, a factor of his good pass protecting line and Foles throwing it up to avoid sacks (and sometimes getting it picked instead), Foles was consistently bottom tier.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 3 2014, 11:03 PM) *

What do you think his passer rating will be by the time Foles is ready to come back at the end of the year?

Being in Chip's offense with these weapons will help him out obviously, provided he calls a balanced attack as he did when Sanchez came off the bench. If he starts going pass heavy again, watch out. I wouldn't expect him to be all that much better than his career average regardless, he did get canned for Geno Smith after all.

But he'll get his chance, against some pretty tough opponents.
make_it_rain
I don't expect much of a step down in terms of the QB play we've gotten thus far this season. Part of that speaks to how wildly mediocre Foles has been this year and part of it towards Sanchez's shaky history in NY (despite patches of success here and there)

I think having a solid supporting cast of weapons around him will help Sanchez so my hope is that this (along with an actual run game)will reduce the amount of bad decisions/forced throws we've seen from him in his Jet days. We'll see.

Also worth noting that while he's not Russell Wilson, Sanchez is much more athletic than Foles. Maybe if Sanchez runs those read option fakes defenses will have to actually give it some credibility as opposed to just laughing as when Foles would run it. It will be interesting to see if Chip leverages that to try to open things up further for The Sanchize and the rest of the offense.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 4 2014, 10:48 AM) *
Being in Chip's offense with these weapons will help him out obviously, provided he calls a balanced attack as he did when Sanchez came off the bench. If he starts going pass heavy again, watch out. I wouldn't expect him to be all that much better than his career average regardless, he did get canned for Geno Smith after all.

But he'll get his chance, against some pretty tough opponents.

So his career average puts him at 31st in the league, only above Smith's 65.6.

You really expect him to be that bad? Really?

It will be up to Sanchez how well we run the ball.

Defenses will load the box to stop the run, daring him to beat them with the pass. If he doesn't, we'll be pass heavy again because the extra man in the box will stymie our run game and we'll have to pass out of it. If he does pass successfully, our run game will flourish because they will have to play honest versus the run and I like our chances then. We will kill defenses if that happens.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 4 2014, 11:07 PM) *
Defenses will load the box to stop the run, daring him to beat them with the pass. If he doesn't, we'll be pass heavy again because the extra man in the box will stymie our run game and we'll have to pass out of it. If he does pass successfully, our run game will flourish because they will have to play honest versus the run and I like our chances then. We will kill defenses if that happens.

C'mon man, I got my hands full with the Reid apologists. We've always agreed on this, I understand you're hoping for a SB win before you die but it ain't happening this year. Sanchez played worse than Foles, it was the difference in playcalling that helped to easily put away the Texans. As it has so many times before.....

*edit and I said I don't expect him to be all that much better than his career average - as in, he'll be better in this offense, but he's not going to morph into a good QB.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 5 2014, 10:59 AM) *
Sanchez played worse than Foles

The eyeball test says different. Your dislike for Sanchez makes you suggest otherwise.

With Foles in the game, the score is 7-7 With Sanchez in the game, the score is PHI 24 - HOU 14
Foles threw a pick 6 (again). Sanchez had 2 INT's, neither (arguably) where his fault.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 5 2014, 10:10 AM) *
The eyeball test says different.

Even with being saddled with over 80% pass calls to Sanchez's perfectly balanced attack, Foles was better in every relevant statistical measurement. The eyeball test showed us that Sanchez should've had another pick, and that we have an All-Pro running back who can win games for you even with a poor QB. Let's see what happens when Buttfumble passes 62 times in a game.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 5 2014, 11:33 AM) *
Foles was better in every relevant statistical measurement.

Except Foles had a pick 6, which virtually negates your point. His INT's this season have been ill timed and more importantly really bad decisions. Sanchez may not be the savior, but he can't be much worse than Foles has been this season....especially in a QB friendly environment.

Phits
Sanchez should be very productive in Chip's system. I am expecting a QBR in the high 80's to low 90's. The o-line is playing better (even with Herreman's out) and our feature RB seems to be attacking the line instead of dancing around in the backfield. With the success Maclin has had this season I expect McCoy to see some more open lanes which would take some of the pressure off of Sanchez.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 4 2014, 12:03 AM) *

As a guide, here are some passer ratings for some people:

Foles 2013 = 119.2
Vick 2013 = 86.5
Foles 2014 = 81.5
Sanchez Career = 71.9 (ouch)

Average as defined by the 16th rated passer in the NFL = R. Wilson = 93.0

Current NFL Passer Rating Ranks:
#1 = 113
#5 = 104
#10 = 97
#16 = 93
#20 = 88
#26 = Foles = 81.5
#30 = 74.9
#32 = 65.6

I'll go with 94, just above average for his time starting until Foles gets back.

For the record, I think that Foles is a slightly above average QB who can be a very good QB in Kelly's offense.

I think Sanchez is a below average QB who can play at an average level in this offense.

Problem is Foles strengths were supposed to be his protecting the football, accuracy and decision making, all three which have suffered greatly this year. He played at a low level. Average QB play will be a big improvement over what we got in the first seven games, IMO.

Foles in 2013:
Rating 81.5 = 26th
Int % = 3.2 = 29th
Comp % 59.9 = 27th
Yds/Att 6.9 = 26th
TD % 4.2% = 23rd
Sack % 2.8% = 3rd

So accept for sack %, a factor of his good pass protecting line and Foles throwing it up to avoid sacks (and sometimes getting it picked instead), Foles was consistently bottom tier.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 5 2014, 10:49 AM) *
Except Foles had a pick 6, which virtually negates your point. His INT's this season have been ill timed and more importantly really bad decisions. Sanchez may not be the savior, but he can't be much worse than Foles has been this season....especially in a QB friendly environment.

And one of Sanchez's picks led to a touchdown for Houston, it just took a bit longer. *yawn*

I think Ryan Leaf could do well in this offense, provided we run the ball.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 5 2014, 12:10 PM) *
And one of Sanchez's picks led to a touchdown for Houston, it just took a bit longer. *yawn*

I think Ryan Leaf could do well in this offense, provided we run the ball.

Provided with the right coaching, Ryan Leaf might have had success in Chip's system.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 5 2014, 10:10 AM) *

Actually, Josh Huff's drop led to a TD.

The pick that Mark Sanchez was responsible for (although Riley Cooper's effort is very much in question on that play) led to a Demeco Ryans interception. Ryans' fumble led to a TD.

Throwing a pick-6 is worse than an interception that does not lead to a pick-6.

Foles averaged 1.4 points per drive while he was in the game (7 points on 5 drives)

Sanchez led the team to 3.42 points per drive (24 on 7) and that doesn't include the drive that Huff killed which was almost in scoring range.

Simply put, Sanchez was better on Sunday. This is despite the fact that he didn't have the same luxury of practicing with those receivers all week long.

Foles was better than his usual self this season, but that bar is pretty low.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 5 2014, 10:33 AM) *
Even with being saddled with over 80% pass calls to Sanchez's perfectly balanced attack, Foles was better in every relevant statistical measurement. The eyeball test showed us that Sanchez should've had another pick, and that we have an All-Pro running back who can win games for you even with a poor QB. Let's see what happens when Buttfumble passes 62 times in a game.

Would you agree that if Sanchez has a decently better passer rating at the end of the year than Foles did this year, then he played better this year, or is anything Sanchez does good or bad get credited to the run game?

Does Sanchez ever have a shot at getting kudos from you?

I didn't want Sanchez based on his horrible past. But I didn't want the Foles we saw this year either. Let's just see how Sanchez does and go from there. Like I said, I expect just above average. Nothing great, but a heck of a lot better than we got from Foles this year.
HOUSEoPAIN
Would you agree that if Sanchez has a decently better passer rating at the end of the year than Foles did this year, then he played better this year, or is anything Sanchez does good or bad get credited to the run game?

Of course if he is statistically better I would say he played better, unlike Sunday where he clearly and statistically played worse. I've simply pointed out the obvious effect of a running game or lack of a running game, and how greatly it can impact our offense.....for years now.

Does Sanchez ever have a shot at getting kudos from you?

Of course he does, why would anyone complain if he comes in and lights it up? But I know from years of watching him that he's a terrible QB, you don't get canned for Geno Smith otherwise. When a fan base is calling for Tim Tebow to replace you, that's a problem.

Nothing great, but a heck of a lot better than we got from Foles this year.

Why? With a good gameplan he was worse than Foles on Sunday. He's capable of being above average, and managing games, which is fine provided we win. Nothing more.
JeeQ
I Have One Question For The Sanchize...
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 7 2014, 01:50 AM) *

laugh.gif
Reality Fan
I have to laugh at a lot of Sanchez comments. I am interested to see what he does because I spoke out early about it being a good idea to sign him. He has a lot of talent but was drafted by one of the worst places he could have gone to. He had 2 good years for a rookie and 2nd year QB. I was listening to a guy who covers the jets talking about him on the radio last night and it was funny how someone who covered the jets and still does views Sanchez vs. those who have seen highlights/lowlights and an occasional game.

The beat guy talked about how bad his supporting cast got to be by year 3 and that is why they lost faith in Sanchez and did not support him. He also said Ryan wanted Sanchez and not Gino Smith.

I have heard several NY reporters this week and they all seem to think Sanchez will do very well in this offense with real talent at his disposal.

I am somewhat confused at those who think the guy is terrible......they bring up the butt fumble all the time but ignore his playoff game in New England in 2010.(or they dont know a thing about the guy's career) and chalk up the game to the defense.(maybe the weather?) He was good in the AFC CG the next week against Pitt as well. Everyone focuses on the years that followed as the Jets got rid of their talent.(again...that fact is how the Jets beat guys characterize what the Jets did...not me but of course what do they know...right?)

We will soon find out who is right about the guy.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 8 2014, 01:34 PM) *
I have to laugh at a lot of Sanchez comments. I am interested to see what he does because I spoke out early about it being a good idea to sign him. He has a lot of talent but was drafted by one of the worst places he could have gone to. He had 2 good years for a rookie and 2nd year QB. I was listening to a guy who covers the jets talking about him on the radio last night and it was funny how someone who covered the jets and still does views Sanchez vs. those who have seen highlights/lowlights and an occasional game.

The beat guy talked about how bad his supporting cast got to be by year 3 and that is why they lost faith in Sanchez and did not support him. He also said Ryan wanted Sanchez and not Gino Smith.

I have heard several NY reporters this week and they all seem to think Sanchez will do very well in this offense with real talent at his disposal.

I am somewhat confused at those who think the guy is terrible......they bring up the butt fumble all the time but ignore his playoff game in New England in 2010.(or they dont know a thing about the guy's career) and chalk up the game to the defense.(maybe the weather?) He was good in the AFC CG the next week against Pitt as well. Everyone focuses on the years that followed as the Jets got rid of their talent.(again...that fact is how the Jets beat guys characterize what the Jets did...not me but of course what do they know...right?)

We will soon find out who is right about the guy.

MacNow was saying a friend he has in the NY press was saying he was terrible and was laughing at us having him.

I didn't want him. No way.

However, he played really well in the preseason and, by almost all accounts, after a bad mini camp, solidly outplayed Foles in training camp.

Normally, I would dismiss it, but the way Foles consistently struggled got me thinking that Sanchez deserved a shot if Foles didn't turn it around. The injury gods presented the chance, I'm curious to see how Sanchez will do.

As stated above, I think he does better than average. If he does, we make the playoffs with a shot, provided that Ryans absence doesn't do us in and maybe we'll be serviceable there with Matthews and Acho based on their recent play and Kendricks being back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.