Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just lol @ this years draft
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
make_it_rain
For an organization committed to "building through the draft", its looking like Chip and Howie sure whiffed this year.

1. Marcus Smith - Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say its too early to call him a "bust", but theres no denying we've gotten nothing from him this year. Part of that speaks to the guys playing in front of him, but the little we've seen has not been impressive. I'll say the jury is still out.

2. Matthews - Has been somewhat underwhelming so far, but has at least produced and flashed potential. I think he can develop into a solid WR, even if 7 games in he has fallen short of the ridiculous hype he received coming into the season. Decent pick though.

3. Huff - Probably the most useless player on the team. It feels like every play he's involved in something awful happens. Complete waste of a 3rd round pick.

4. Jaylen Watkins - Has this guy even been active in a game this season?

5. Taylor Hart - See #4. I actually think this guy could be good, but why even use the pick on him if he's just going to be deactivated every week?

6. Ed Reynolds - Not even on the team, toils away on the practice squad.

7. Beau Allen - Probably the most productive pick (insofar at least) of the draft.

Seven rounds, and we have only gotten something, anything at all, out of the picks in rounds 2 and 7.

In all actuality, this isn't really a thread to discuss this years draft (as we've discussed it thoroughly), but rather how much Josh Huff blows sleep.gif
Wheeljack
Regarding Matthews, he's more an Avant replacement. Which makes sense to me, he wears his old number.

The role Huff plays was played better by Jeremy Maclin (who is beasting this year). Shame our QB can't see him all the time
HOUSEoPAIN
Funny, I was looking at our defensive stat sheet, and I still only see one Smith on it (Brad). Whatever he's doing, whenever he's on the field, all I know is by any standard of a first round pick he has to be considered a bust. If he was a 3rd rounder or higher I'd say the jury is still out.

Matthews has been pretty good in an offense with many targets being thrown to by a guy who's played awful. He's got the same stats as Cooper for a fraction of the price, I'd say he's been one of the better stories of this year.

Huff is awful. Watching him is like watching Curly Howard pick up something expensive/flammable - you just know something bad is about to happen, except in Huff's case it's never funny.
HobbEs
Josh Huff has potential but he's just not ready to play this year. (I think even Chip said as much himself).

The Smith pick is largely because Howie tried to get cute in the draft...and then got owned. The two safeties were off the board before we picked. After he traded back (I think it was to pick up the coveted 1st pick in the 4th round) there was a run on defensive backs and the Chiefs moved up to draft Dee Ford. All of a sudden it's hello Marcus Smith.

I hope Howie gets his shit together. We went into last years draft needing help at OLB, CB and Safety. We still need help in those areas. Factor in that next year we'll need help at those same positions PLUS OL and probably QB. That's how GMs get fired.
Phits
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Oct 27 2014, 02:35 PM) *
Josh Huff has potential but he's just not ready to play this year. (I think even Chip said as much himself).

The Smith pick is largely because Howie tried to get cute in the draft...and then got owned. The two safeties were off the board before we picked. After he traded back (I think it was to pick up the coveted 1st pick in the 4th round) there was a run on defensive backs and the Chiefs moved up to draft Dee Ford. All of a sudden it's hello Marcus Smith.

I hope Howie gets his shit together. We went into last years draft needing help at OLB, CB and Safety. We still need help in those areas. Factor in that next year we'll need help at those same positions PLUS OL and probably QB. That's how GMs get fired.

Another way GM's get fired is drafting based on need. Unless it's a high first round rookies generally aren't expected to be major contributors in their rookie season.
HobbEs
Another way GM's get fired is drafting based on need. Unless it's a high first round rookies generally aren't expected to be major contributors in their rookie season

Yeah, there's some truth to that. Some GMs will draft the best player available. Problem is Smith was no where near BPA.

The jury is still out on him. We knew he was going to be a project but you still hope to see your first round pick contributing at this point in the season.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Oct 27 2014, 03:09 PM) *
Yeah, there's some truth to that. Some GMs will draft the best player available. Problem is Smith was no where near BPA.

The jury is still out on him. We knew he was going to be a project but you still hope to see your first round pick contributing at this point in the season.

I guess it depends on what defines BPA. Is it the guy who was the most proven at the moment or the guy with the most upside? Smith has plenty of upside. Moving him to a position he's never played before certainly isn't helping with his immediate contributions.

When we first drafted him, I saw him as more of a coverage LB that could be moved all around. I still think he has that potential. We're going to need a guy to replace Ryans in the middle in the near future. Hopefully Smith can turn into that guy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.