Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think it's time to admit
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Flying Dutchman
I'm not sure why things have changed so much for this guy but they have and it is no longer deniable.
He came around a bit last year on STs and gained some confidence from his coaches but this stepping
up with his good angles, run stopping, QB pressure and his attitude. The guy seems to know he has finally
started to earn his spot on this team. Is it Kelly or his coaches, or maybe Matthews just growing into his role
as a backup LB. Whatever I actually like having him on the team now. Whew....I never, ever thought I
would have to admit that.

koolaidluke
Wasn't it that same draft that Jamar Chaney and Brian Rolle came out? Both of those guys had a million times more talent than Matthews but are now out of football. Matthews is a real "coaches player", he's smart and plays hard, he just doesn't have the tools. He is sort of like a MIKE linebacker version of Ty Detmer.
nephillymike
Way too early for apologies.

He had one good game.

I hope it continues (if he is needed), but we will see.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 18 2014, 06:22 AM) *

He had one good game.

uh...he had 2 good games in a row....and was not bad in a 3rd....

Even Ray Diddy acknowledged it....

Shocking but true...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 18 2014, 10:19 AM) *
uh...he had 2 good games in a row....and was not bad in a 3rd....

Even Ray Diddy acknowledged it....

Shocking but true...

Is every interaction you have in life condescending? Or only on this board?

Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 18 2014, 07:22 AM) *

He had one good game.

Mikey, Mikey, oh ye of little faith LOL! I know where you're coming from but you are dead wrong. He played
decently 3 weeks ago and very well two weeks ago. More than one observer called it (faint praise I know) the best game of his career. Then against the Vagiants
he flat out kicked some butt. I was proud of the way he got after people and as long as he tackles that well, takes such good lines
to ball carriers and QBs, and plays physical like this.....I AM IN! Hell most everyone was wrong, being down on Brandon Graham and now they can't get on his bandwagon
fast enough. Matthews seems on his way to becoming a respectable pro back-up. Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa!!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Oct 18 2014, 02:59 PM) *
Mikey, Mikey, oh ye of little faith LOL! I know where you're coming from but you are dead wrong. He played
decently 3 weeks ago and very well two weeks ago. More than one observer called it (faint praise I know) the best game of his career. Then against the Vagiants
he flat out kicked some butt. I was proud of the way he got after people and as long as he tackles that well, takes such good lines
to ball carriers and QBs, and plays physical like this.....I AM IN! Hell most everyone was wrong, being down on Brandon Graham and now they can't get on his bandwagon
fast enough. Matthews seems on his way to becoming a respectable pro back-up. Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa!!

That seems to be the prevailing thought. If he was praised for the two games before this one, I missed it so give him some props.

My beef about Matthews really stems from him being kept for his ST's play and frankly I never remember him doing anything on ST's!! I know backup need to be good STers but I never saw him do much on teams. Maragos, Sproles, Bramen, we have seen them do something on teams so they've earned their spot. Matthews not so much. BUT, if he's developed into a solid backup, then OK. Let him play.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.